Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post subject: Prankster records convo between Bills GM and Bucs GM
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am 
NET Veteran

This is pretty hilarious.

The Bills GM and the Bucs GM got pranked by having some guys set up a conference call between the two of them, recorded it, and then posted it on the internet so everyone can hear Buddy Nix complain about how much Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks.

http://deadspin.com/pranksters-record-t ... -452366184

Post subject: Re: Prankster records convo between Bills GM and Bucs GM
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 am 
NET Veteran

Wow, interesting inside look. I agree, very embarrassing for Fitzpatrick and the other guys mentioned.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am 
* NET E-Knight *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

I agree, this will not end well. I don't know much about wire tapping laws, but I guarantee you the NFL has enough clout with the Federal Government that somebody is going down. Especially if Nix has this guy's phone number from the original call.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:25 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 am 
* NET E-Knight *

Scottemojo wrote:
It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.

That isn't what wiretapping means in the court of law, I know that much. Any "monitoring" by a third party can be construed as wiretapping. Even if these guys called the third party, if they were unaware of the fact that they were being recorded, it falls under wiretapping laws.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:31 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 am 
* NET E-Knight *

AbsolutNET wrote:
If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?

Yep, I honestly don't think the state laws will matter considering the phone call was technically across state lines. At the very least it could be construed as some form of fraud, considering they intentionally and deliberately lied to both parties, and posted this information online.

Obviously Deadspin didn't release their names, but I highly doubt they won't be able to get their info from the phone companies, especially if it becomes a criminal (or even civil) matter.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am 
NET Veteran

Quote:
mike freeman ‏@realfreemancbs
NFL Security and the league's lawyers are looking into the two GM pranksters, I'm told. This is not good for the two GM pranksters.

Yeah, this is not good for the two GM pranksters because this is the same security that handled the "bounty case"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 am 
* NET E-Knight *

The Outfield wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.

Considering the story says that Nix was calling someone's personal cell phone, I am guessing these guys aren't the brightest bulbs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am 
* Smackmeister *

From the comments:

Quote:
what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:08 am 
* NET E-Knight *

JesterHawk wrote:
From the comments:

Quote:
what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that

Haha, that had me cracking up too. I feel bad for Fitz kinda, at this point.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 am 
* NET E-Knight *

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rded-call/

Quote:
With the launch of free agency less than two hours away, I don’t have the time to research the nooks and crannies of federal and state wiretapping law. But I recall the basics pretty clearly; most importantly, there need not be any actual tapping of wires. The secret recording of conversations in any setting is covered.

Thus, those kids have reason to be nervous.

Not that they’ll be sent to prison. But they could be in for weeks and/or months of worry and hassle and expense, if there’s a prosecutor who decides to use what could be an open-and-shut set of facts to send a strong message of deterrence to the general public.

Lays out pretty much like I though. This prank falls under wiretapping laws, and because of the nature of the connection (across state lines) it could be considered a federal case. If that happens, the NFL doesn't even necessarily have to press charges, the Feds could easily take this over and prosecute to the full extent of the law.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:34 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

I'm sorry but I would push to have these jokers get some time. Everything is a prank and boys will be boys. People need to understand there are consequences for your actions. The fact they most likely will get off with a wrist slap sounds typical.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Exactly. Actions have consequences and its better that they learn this the hard way now than a few years down the road after doing something REALLY stupid.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

The problem is, a significant amount of the time, actions do not in fact have consequences. :( They always should, but they often don't, in the real world.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm 
NET Veteran

Fitzpatrick got cut today.

I guess that's one way to alleviate an awkward situation.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm 
NET Veteran

These guys are going to be considered martyrs and heroes by Buffalo Bills fans. This is hilarious! They'll get time but they also got the Bills to rid themselves of a bad contract.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]