Prankster records convo between Bills GM and Bucs GM

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • This is pretty hilarious.

The Bills GM and the Bucs GM got pranked by having some guys set up a conference call between the two of them, recorded it, and then posted it on the internet so everyone can hear Buddy Nix complain about how much Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks.

http://deadspin.com/pranksters-record-t ... -452366184
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Wow, interesting inside look. I agree, very embarrassing for Fitzpatrick and the other guys mentioned.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

I agree, this will not end well. I don't know much about wire tapping laws, but I guarantee you the NFL has enough clout with the Federal Government that somebody is going down. Especially if Nix has this guy's phone number from the original call.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.

That isn't what wiretapping means in the court of law, I know that much. Any "monitoring" by a third party can be construed as wiretapping. Even if these guys called the third party, if they were unaware of the fact that they were being recorded, it falls under wiretapping laws.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• AbsolutNET wrote:If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?

Yep, I honestly don't think the state laws will matter considering the phone call was technically across state lines. At the very least it could be construed as some form of fraud, considering they intentionally and deliberately lied to both parties, and posted this information online.

Obviously Deadspin didn't release their names, but I highly doubt they won't be able to get their info from the phone companies, especially if it becomes a criminal (or even civil) matter.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• mike freeman ‏@realfreemancbs
    NFL Security and the league's lawyers are looking into the two GM pranksters, I'm told. This is not good for the two GM pranksters.

Yeah, this is not good for the two GM pranksters because this is the same security that handled the "bounty case"
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• The Outfield wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.

Considering the story says that Nix was calling someone's personal cell phone, I am guessing these guys aren't the brightest bulbs.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• From the comments:

what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• JesterHawk wrote:From the comments:

what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that

Haha, that had me cracking up too. I feel bad for Fitz kinda, at this point.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rded-call/

With the launch of free agency less than two hours away, I don’t have the time to research the nooks and crannies of federal and state wiretapping law. But I recall the basics pretty clearly; most importantly, there need not be any actual tapping of wires. The secret recording of conversations in any setting is covered.

Thus, those kids have reason to be nervous.

Not that they’ll be sent to prison. But they could be in for weeks and/or months of worry and hassle and expense, if there’s a prosecutor who decides to use what could be an open-and-shut set of facts to send a strong message of deterrence to the general public.

Lays out pretty much like I though. This prank falls under wiretapping laws, and because of the nature of the connection (across state lines) it could be considered a federal case. If that happens, the NFL doesn't even necessarily have to press charges, the Feds could easily take this over and prosecute to the full extent of the law.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• I'm sorry but I would push to have these jokers get some time. Everything is a prank and boys will be boys. People need to understand there are consequences for your actions. The fact they most likely will get off with a wrist slap sounds typical.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Exactly. Actions have consequences and its better that they learn this the hard way now than a few years down the road after doing something REALLY stupid.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• The problem is, a significant amount of the time, actions do not in fact have consequences. :( They always should, but they often don't, in the real world.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Fitzpatrick got cut today.

I guess that's one way to alleviate an awkward situation.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• These guys are going to be considered martyrs and heroes by Buffalo Bills fans. This is hilarious! They'll get time but they also got the Bills to rid themselves of a bad contract.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information