Is the offense "complete"?

JKent82

Reaction score
kidhawk":1lsh3be7 said:
Honestly I don't see a specific need for a 3rd RB on the roster. I can see us drafting one later in the draft and maybe putting them on the practice squad, but Leon was pretty much just there for special teams and really only played RB very rarely.

It'd be different but I guess it could be possible. 2 QB's, 2 RB's free's up a lot of space. Keep some on PS ready to go with Robinson, Harvin, and Golden able to fill extreme injury needs, spot carries. Doubt they actually would do it, like near 0% in my opinion, too much injury risk at RB and we like to run the ball a lot. But it'd allow serious roster flexibility.

nategreat

Reaction score
kidhawk":2razi9fr said:
Honestly I don't see a specific need for a 3rd RB on the roster. I can see us drafting one later in the draft and maybe putting them on the practice squad, but Leon was pretty much just there for special teams and really only played RB very rarely.

True. And I agree, I don't think we necessarily SHOULD have a 3rd RB on the roster. But at the RB position, injuries happen all of the time, and you never know when the next man needs to be able to step up. So it's not to see the field much, as it is more a safety net. I don't know how Pete and John see it though, obviously. They only carried two QBs on the roster, so maybe their mindset is the same for RBs. But RBs are more at risk for injury IMO, and they don't take all the snaps like a QB does.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1on7wwd8 said:
Recon_Hawk":1on7wwd8 said:
I'd also like a speed RB added to replace Leon.

Harvin and Tate can both be that speed guy being used with the occasional end around, or in the screen game to supplement the power run attack.
I'm envisioning a speedy 3rd RB as a backup returner and depth at RB more than anything else. Lynch and Turbin should still get 95% of the snaps, but depth is still vital considering the physical nature of Lynch.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
O-line and TE depth are the only areas that need to be upgraded IMO. We get some depth there, watch out.

kearly

Reaction score
We still need Sidney Rice insurance and an upgrade at TE would be nice. But for the most part, yes.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":kyp7lc5o said:
Recon_Hawk":kyp7lc5o said:
I'd say the core of the offense is on the roster, but with as much two tightend sets the hawks run, I'd like to see an upgrade over McCoy with a better receiver, YAC type.

I think McCoy is just fine as depth for Miller. He was really solid as a second TE last year. What I'd like to see is that H-back/Joker type of tight end added to the group, but if we go into the season with just Miller and McCoy, I'll be comfortable with that.

I'd be fine with that too, but I think McCoys big plays were more a result of the position he plays as the #2 tightend in a bootleg offense than him creating matchup problems and making big time individual plays. An athletic, receiver type like Reed or Escobar (or Eifert had we had our first round pick) would be that ideal #2, IMO. I'm also a fan of Kelce who would be an upgrade over McCoy as well as the all-around backup to Miller but can block and catch better than AM.

CANHawk

Reaction score
JesterHawk":3ig6bhvx said:
I would rather see Michael Robinson's eventual replacement as a 3rd RB. Love MRob but he is 30 this year, we gotta get the FBOTF on the roster NOW!

:sarcasm_on: ?

McGruff

Reaction score
General Manager":1q0kln43 said:
I'd like better depth on the O-line .

I'd like better starters on the oline.

Giacomini and McQuistan are both slightly older players who could be upgraded long term.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
McGruff":36ycca1y said:
We need one of our three young guards to become what we hope they can be . . . and we need long term upgrades to Giacomini and McQuistan.

I know the guy is the new .NET whipping boy, but Breno is only 27 and he doesn't have that many miles on him. And he's cheap. I'm not sure why everyone is falling over themselves to 'upgrade'. It was in a different thread, by a smarter poster than me, but the challenge was posed: Name 3 starting right tackles in the NFL not including the Seahawks. I consider myself fairly NFL savvy, and I can't do it.

Also, McQuistan was really quite good for us last year. I swear, unless we have the 49ers o-line, some people are never going to be happy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1hmf023l said:
CANHawk":1hmf023l said:
Recon_Hawk":1hmf023l said:
I'd say the core of the offense is on the roster, but with as much two tightend sets the hawks run, I'd like to see an upgrade over McCoy with a better receiver, YAC type.

I think McCoy is just fine as depth for Miller. He was really solid as a second TE last year. What I'd like to see is that H-back/Joker type of tight end added to the group, but if we go into the season with just Miller and McCoy, I'll be comfortable with that.

I'd be fine with that too, but I think McCoys big plays were more a result of the position he plays as the #2 tightend in a bootleg offense than him creating matchup problems and making big time individual plays. An athletic, receiver type like Reed or Escobar (or Eifert had we had our first round pick) would be that ideal #2, IMO. I'm also a fan of Kelce who would be an upgrade over McCoy as well as the all-around backup to Miller but can block and catch better than AM.

Well, you could say that about most #2 TE's. It's a bit of a mismatch game. As long as you can get a guy in there who's good enough to not totally shit the bed when the ball comes his way, they'll produce. McCoy does not shit the bed. Yes we could improve on him, but i wouldn't call it a priority at this point.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2g9mk634 said:
McGruff":2g9mk634 said:
We need one of our three young guards to become what we hope they can be . . . and we need long term upgrades to Giacomini and McQuistan.

I know the guy is the new .NET whipping boy, but Breno is only 27 and he doesn't have that many miles on him. And he's cheap. I'm not sure why everyone is falling over themselves to 'upgrade'. It was in a different thread, by a smarter poster than me, but the challenge was posed: Name 3 starting right tackles in the NFL not including the Seahawks. I consider myself fairly NFL savvy, and I can't do it.

Also, McQuistan was really quite good for us last year. I swear, unless we have the 49ers o-line, some people are never going to be happy.

That last sentence is true.

Breno is making $3.5 million this year. He's not cheap. He's an average tackle, which makes him one of our worst starters.

If we can upgrade, we should.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We still need a Rook FB to develop the skills for when MR decides to hang it up, and another developmental WR should one of our starters get banged up AGAIN.
Obo has had pleanty of time to strut his stuff, i think it's time to move on from that experiment, next up, Ryan Swope.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In the short term, I'd say yes.

We do however need to begin the process of adding players to compete and succeed some of our starters that may not get resigned.

Tate
Rice
Miller
Carpenter

Those are guys that will command large salaries. This is still a good year for WR, and I would not be surprised to see us still take one. Getting a solid outside target can be difficult and take more than one attempt to resolve.

Even if you expect Rice and Miller to sign for less -- they will still command hefty salary numbers. They won't fit salary wise when it comes to locking up players on the defense. Okung and Thomas are going to get big numbers and that won't allow for us to keep most, if not all of these guys. Sherman and Wilson will follow suit shortly thereafter.

I don't see us needing to fill holes offensively. But I do see us needing to preemptively fill needs in the near future. Our salary outlay on that side of the ball is very large and our very best offensive players are still on their rookie deals. If we don't address DT early, I could still see us taking guys to replicate Tate and Rice on day 2.

It remains unclear what the Harvin deal means in terms of how Pete/John see this DT pool. About the only thing I can take from it, is that there isn't one guy we are really solid on that would have necessitated us using #25 to get him.

Last year was supposed to be a good year for big WRs. And it was a perceived position of need. But it turned out we didn't like that pocket of talent at all. It's entirely possible we don't like this DT class much either.

McGruff

Reaction score
Miller and Rice will not be re-signed if/when their contracts expire.

Tate probably doesn't have a future here.

Carpenter hasn't done a thing to warrant a big second contract from anyone.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For me, the TE position needs one more guy, and I would like a good 3rd running back. Running back is one of those spots where you can be three deep one week, and 0 deep the next. And need I remind everyone about the 2010 Bears playoff game where a lack of depth on the TE spot killed our offense?

mrblitz

Reaction score
we need a quick change-of-pace back who can run for average; and another big, te/wr target. also, o-line depth...

Seattle Patriots

Reaction score
I think for the most part everything is in place, however I think an upgrade at TE would be really beneficial. Miller shows flashes of being a big play maker but he is not someone I would heavily rely on such as Gonzales or Gronk. Obviously a player of those magnitudes would be very costly but I think an upgrade over McCoy is needed non the less.

Seattle Patriots

Reaction score
Also Giacomini needs upgrading after his contract is up. Im reminded of the hawks first game of the season against the cardinals and all his false starts. He looked awful that game. He did get a lot better but I just don't like him for this team.