Prankster records convo between Bills GM and Bucs GM

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

Veilside

Reaction score
Wow, interesting inside look. I agree, very embarrassing for Fitzpatrick and the other guys mentioned.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30shlwip said:
Humiliating as hell for Fitzpatrick, even though he was just being honest. I'm pretty sure this is illegal; the guys that posted it better have covered their tracks well.

I agree, this will not end well. I don't know much about wire tapping laws, but I guarantee you the NFL has enough clout with the Federal Government that somebody is going down. Especially if Nix has this guy's phone number from the original call.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1b5xe2zn said:
It wasn't a wiretap. The GM's called the pranksters, on accident.

That isn't what wiretapping means in the court of law, I know that much. Any "monitoring" by a third party can be construed as wiretapping. Even if these guys called the third party, if they were unaware of the fact that they were being recorded, it falls under wiretapping laws.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":dbpfgxr5 said:
If neither Dominik or Nix consented to being recorded, then I believe the pranksters violated Federal law. Florida at least is a consent state which requires everyone to agree to being recorded.

Did the "pranksters" identify themselves as such or are they hiding behind anonymity?

Yep, I honestly don't think the state laws will matter considering the phone call was technically across state lines. At the very least it could be construed as some form of fraud, considering they intentionally and deliberately lied to both parties, and posted this information online.

Obviously Deadspin didn't release their names, but I highly doubt they won't be able to get their info from the phone companies, especially if it becomes a criminal (or even civil) matter.

The Outfield

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":o8soyes8 said:

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
mike freeman ‏@realfreemancbs
NFL Security and the league's lawyers are looking into the two GM pranksters, I'm told. This is not good for the two GM pranksters.

Yeah, this is not good for the two GM pranksters because this is the same security that handled the "bounty case"

HawksFTW

Reaction score
The Outfield":1bpcq7k7 said:
RolandDeschain":1bpcq7k7 said:

The pranksters probably used Skype, which may be untraceable if they used a proxy server. Not completely sure how Skype tracing works.

Considering the story says that Nix was calling someone's personal cell phone, I am guessing these guys aren't the brightest bulbs.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
From the comments:

what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that

HawksFTW

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2uqpt9yu said:
From the comments:

what_dreams_are_madoff@Barry Petchesky

A crime has been committed here, and a serious one at that. Ignoring good judgement for a quick joke is all well and fine until you get caught, and by publishing the evidence, you've essentially sealed the case and delivered the verdict.

I hope you think twice before referring to Ryan Fitzpatrick as a "quarterback," Barry. God, I feel dirty just typing that

Haha, that had me cracking up too. I feel bad for Fitz kinda, at this point.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rded-call/

With the launch of free agency less than two hours away, I don’t have the time to research the nooks and crannies of federal and state wiretapping law. But I recall the basics pretty clearly; most importantly, there need not be any actual tapping of wires. The secret recording of conversations in any setting is covered.

Thus, those kids have reason to be nervous.

Not that they’ll be sent to prison. But they could be in for weeks and/or months of worry and hassle and expense, if there’s a prosecutor who decides to use what could be an open-and-shut set of facts to send a strong message of deterrence to the general public.

Lays out pretty much like I though. This prank falls under wiretapping laws, and because of the nature of the connection (across state lines) it could be considered a federal case. If that happens, the NFL doesn't even necessarily have to press charges, the Feds could easily take this over and prosecute to the full extent of the law.

drdiags

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I would push to have these jokers get some time. Everything is a prank and boys will be boys. People need to understand there are consequences for your actions. The fact they most likely will get off with a wrist slap sounds typical.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Actions have consequences and its better that they learn this the hard way now than a few years down the road after doing something REALLY stupid.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The problem is, a significant amount of the time, actions do not in fact have consequences. :( They always should, but they often don't, in the real world.

NYCoug

Reaction score
These guys are going to be considered martyrs and heroes by Buffalo Bills fans. This is hilarious! They'll get time but they also got the Bills to rid themselves of a bad contract.