UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc85sis

Reaction score
A few points here, some of which are more or less repeats from other posts (that strengthen my overall thought):

Yes, Harvin does have some injury history. He had migraine issues that seem to have been dealt with effectively; he hasn't had one in a couple of years now). He had surgery while at Florida to address a foot problem that was ultimately causing some other issues. And he had an ankle problem last year. It's understandable that these facts would give one pause, and that's why this trade is subject to Percy passing a physical. If the Seahawks docs aren't satisfied, he will not be coming to Seattle. Pete also has experience dealing with player migraine issues as Joe McKnight had them during his time at USC.

He has reportedly exhibited some attitude at times. Fortunately for us, we have a coach who is really good at bringing the best out in his players. We have a strong locker room with a QB who has the support of the team. We have an OC and #1 WR who worked with this kid in MN and who presumably don't have a problem with him (or he wouldn't be coming).

Finally, Pete recruited Harvin out of high school. I give you this tidbit from Scott Schrader, known USC recruiting guru of 247Sports: "It wasn't often Pete was denied access for an in-home visit, but Percy's mom knew how much he loved SC and blocked Pete from even entering their home when he showed up for the in-home Visit.:)" http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Percy ... #a17405282

This could be a brilliant move or it could turn into a nightmare, but the same could be said of any decision made. There are no guarantees with any trade or player draft. Would we all prefer to have a young rookie superstar for less money? Sure. But without having a crystal ball, I think this leans more toward "sure thing" than an unproven rookie.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tical21":3fp9nw64 said:
After really being excited about this move, I have digested, taken a step back, and don't like it anymore.

I LOVE Percy. I even have a Percy Harvin T-shirt. I think he's a great player, possibly elite. Expecting 13 games or whatever doesn't really bother me either. What bothers me is that the Hawks are a run-first team that now has a bazillion dollars tied up at WR and TE. The Seahawks' leading receiver had 50 catches last year. 50. And the Hawks WR corps wasn't bad. Golden Tate has come miles. Rice is very good when healthy. Did we just spend a first rounder and 12+ million per year for a player that is going to catch 50 balls? If the Hawks threw the ball around the lot, I would be all over this. But WR might be the least impactful position on the entire roster considering the style the Seahawks play with.

Personally I do not believe we are a power running football team anymore..........

OK Here are my thoughts. PC is all about compete and get better. EVERY DAY - ALL THE TIME. I believe that he has changed enough in his career to realize that the right change is good for you. Russell Wilson changed his way at looking at the game or at least realized he had a different team last year. On top of this you add doing just about everything right and being in close games against Detroit, GB, Arizona, Chicago and Atlanta and yet the opponents either won or you had to pull out some kind of miracle. That is power football of today. It is playing a low scoring game that if unlucky or with a few missed playes you loose because of that one or two mistakes.

He has a special player in RW, he has a special running back in Lynch, he has a special player in Percy Harvin. I think Tate and Rice will be better for this and I expect this offense to putting up 35 pts per game all year long.

I simply don't think we are a run first team or at least I see the pass being a much bigger part of our overall game setup from a read option formation that will have enough running to keep everyone honest and 3-5 scrambles by RW per game.....

call me crazy but give me the benefit of the doubt until week 1 is over

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
OK I am really excited about the trade, but one thing is eating at me: Can someone explain why Brandon Marshall is worth two 3rd picks and Percy Harvin is worth a 1st, 3rd and 7th? They both have similar checkered diva history.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":5vne61tc said:
I am a step ahead of you. I liked it, hated it, and like it again.

My position has steadily held, personally. Overpay, but JS/PC just got their perfect player. Not just for our needs, but in general. Seattle has always been on the hunt for Percy Harvin types.

Harvin is almost uncoverable out of the slot. I think we just got our Wes Welker. Similar quickness, ability to get open, fieriness, yards per catch, YAC ability, and catch rate. We paid a lot more than the Patriots paid for Welker back in 2007, but if the Patriots paid a 1st, 3rd, 7th and ~13-14 million per for Welker do you think they would have regretted it?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":28dfwjzt said:
OK I am really excited about the trade, but one thing is eating at me: Can someone explain why Brandon Marshall is worth two 3rd picks and Percy Harvin is worth a 1st, 3rd and 7th? They both have similar checkered diva history.

Well off the top of my head:

Marshall is 28, Harvin is 24

Marshall has been a diva at multiple stops in the NFL. Harvin has not.

Harvin tips the field more (slot, split wide, in the backfield) so he's worth more in money and picks.

mikeak

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1048agkm said:

Supposedly hit a woman in New York right before the trade

Does that do it for you? If not on the scene of a shooting (murder) in 2007, arrested a few months later for other issues, arrested again later that year for drunk driving, arrested for battery charges in 2008, another dispute with the wife leading to police involvment in 2009 and supposedly hitting someone RIGHT BEFORE HE GOT TRADED

Two months after the trade - On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife then

Yeah with that list two 3rd round picks sounds very risky.......

and yes diagnoes with personality disorder

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
mikeak":1ru4y5f9 said:
Missing_Clink":1ru4y5f9 said:

Supposedly hit a woman in New York right before the trade

Does that do it for you? If not on the scene of a shooting (murder) in 2007, arrested a few months later for other issues, arrested again later that year for drunk driving, arrested for battery charges in 2008, another dispute with the wife leading to police involvment in 2009 and supposedly hitting someone RIGHT BEFORE HE GOT TRADED

Two months after the trade - On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife then

Yeah with that list two 3rd round picks sounds very risky.......

and yes diagnoes with personality disorder

Oh yeah, the rap sheet. Forgot about that! :lol:

hawker84

Reaction score
Lol.. As a Die Hard 49er fan I can flat out tell you Jim is not worried at all about Seattle or Pete The Cheat Carroll. Love how you guys go out and overspend for overrated talent and we Niners spend far less( 6th round pick) and got a much better player and deal.
Will Harvin even play a full season? Or will be become a diva? Or will his headaches comeback in the loudest stadium in sports? Will his ankle hold up? Way to many questions... Too many question...We both have squads and this is gonna be a bloodbath next season.. I just think SF took all your heat with one move. It went from Seattle made a trade too Percy who? Within 20 mins.

Niners!!! 4 Life! 2014 Division Champions... Already crownd.

if we want to read this regurgitated crap we'll go over to a niner site.... come with some new idea's or a fresh take then we can talk some football...

what's next wilsons too short and can't throw in the pocket, or how bout our empty trophy case, haven't seen that one in a while....

kearly

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, but I discovered something a little sad when going through the rotoworld archives:

These are from 1 month ago:

Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities echoes an NFL.com report that the Vikings are unlikely to garner a first-round pick for Percy Harvin.

Toward the end of the 2012 season, one NFL personnel man estimated that Percy Harvin will probably fetch a second- or third-round pick on the trade market.

An NFL executive tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport he would be "shocked" if the Vikings netted better than a third-round pick for Percy Harvin.

I realize we weren't the only team in on Harvin, but given the language that Seattle was the "front runner" from the start, it makes me think that Seattle was willing to do whatever it took to get him, even if it meant selling the farm.

I'm not bashing the trade, but I am reminded of the sage advice I've heard many times: Never fall in love with one player. I wonder how things might have been different if Seattle had been less aggressive here.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Yeah, 'problematic', 'head-case', or 'diva' are way too broad to put Harvin and Marshall in the same category. All of Harvin's 'issues' were 1-on-1 with head coaches. Even if he was out-of-line, at least he went to the person who could affect the changes he wanted to see – which were all about offensive production and winning. Aside from the wacky and violent stuff already mentioned (which are the biggest red flags), when Marshall got bent out of shape in practice he wandered off, punted balls off the field, and ignored coaches – completely unproductive, with no aim on bettering the situation.

impacthawk

Reaction score
We have all been so Leary of our Cap as of late. Me too. When you look hard at our roster, we are loaded, and by that I mean LOADED, with young up and coming talent. A large portion of that talent is under contract with rookie deals. The dynamics of our personnel, contracts and cap will seriously shift after this season. It's an amazing balance to keep the team infused with top talent and serviceable or better depth at each position. But, so far, John and Pete have shown that they do this part of their jobs very very well. My position with Harvin is to just focus on the incoming talent and not the cost. I realize this is only 1/2 the equation.....but luckily for me, I have that luxury...I'm just a fan. When we are deep into the season and the benefits of Harvin's game are well established, the money won't matter. Everyone expected us to make a SB run this year and this piece is just one of those deals that is almost universally looked at as being a key piece that puts us over the top. Now, we still need to address some priority needs on the DL and so forth, which obviously we will.

I am confident in the John and Pete plan....and yes, they have one. Not just for this year, but 2-5 years down the road. They know when contracts are up. They know who they want to keep and who they will let walk. But this year, while our Window for a SuperBowl is now completely wide open, you win for this year right now. You just can't fully predict where you might be in 2014...but you can see this year, that the team goal should be nothing short of a SuperBowl appearance. I think we are a penetrating DT away from having a perfectly balanced team. And if I was a betting man....I would bet John and Pete get that solved very soon.

One thing I can almost completely guarantee. If we are winning during the season, if we are winning in the playoffs and if we win the SuperBowl, then the cost to get Harvin in the fold with be looked at as the best move of any team in the off-season. There are a lot of if's....yeah, I get it. But No matter how talented, or how high the team expectations are...you are going to have big If's before the season. Percy Harvin gives the Seawhawks a better chance to get to the Superbowl than before we got him........and that's good enough for me. Just WIN Baby!

McGruff

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2se35yly said:

How old is Marshall? Percy?

How many domestic violence and assault charges and DUI charges does Marshall have? Percy?

How many times has Marshall been stabbed? Present at a deadly shooting? Percy?

How many return yards does Marshall have? Rush yards? Percy?

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1n1fyq4r said:
Not sure where to put this, but I discovered something a little sad when going through the rotoworld archives:

Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities echoes an NFL.com report that the Vikings are unlikely to garner a first-round pick for Percy Harvin.

Toward the end of the 2012 season, one NFL personnel man estimated that Percy Harvin will probably fetch a second- or third-round pick on the trade market.

An NFL executive tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport he would be "shocked" if the Vikings netted better than a third-round pick for Percy Harvin.

I realize we weren't the only team in on Harvin, but given the language that Seattle was the "front runner" from the start, it makes me think that Seattle was willing to do whatever it took to get him, even if it meant selling the farm.

I'm not bashing the trade, but I am reminded of the sage advice I've heard many times: Never fall in love with one player. I wonder how things might have been different if Seattle had been less aggressive here.

You know, SOMETIMES, these guys are just talking out their rear oriface. Just because reports say something doesn't mean it's so. Our draft picks are a fair value for the player we are receiving. The only question lef t is can we get him to sign a fair contract.

Edit to fix typo from Reporters to reports DOH!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kearly":2q1m6fzh said:

I find myself wondering how many of those executives/personnel men were employed by other teams hoping to drive Harvin's value down.

GCrow

Reaction score
McGruff":39mbrncf said:
Missing_Clink":39mbrncf said:

How old is Marshall? Percy?

How many domestic violence and assault charges and DUI charges does Marshall have? Percy?

How many times has Marshall been stabbed? Present at a deadly shooting? Percy?

How many return yards does Marshall have? Rush yards? Percy?

Also...Jeff Ireland.

McGruff

Reaction score
Also, most, if not all, of Percy's so called character concerns seem to stem from being extremely competitive. One of his fights with a coach even resulted from Percy arguing that they needed to give Peterson more carries. That's not a me first guy. That a guy who wants to win and knows when his coaches are being stupid.

Jac

Reaction score
kearly":z0aiqupm said:

That very well may have been the compensation until SF and Seattle found out they were in a bidding war with each other. If that's the case, it became important to not only acquire the targeted player, but to also keep him away from the other (because he could shift the balance of power either way when teamed with Wilson or Kaepernick). I would love to still have our first, but not at the expense of having Harvin on SF for the next five years.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
kidhawk":3mph864o said:
You know, SOMETIMES, these guys are just talking out their rear oriface. Just because reporters say something doesn't mean it's so. Our draft picks are a fair value for the player we are receiving. The only question lef t is can we get him to sign a fair contract.

Exactly. We have seen what happens when fans get too wrapped up in what NFL execs say. How anyone can argue 112 catches, 1475 yds from scrimmage, 11 TDs combined (and these aren't taking into account his return yds/TDs) over the last 16 games ISN'T worth a first rounder. Especially considering how young he is. A lot of people are over thinking this; Harvin is easily worth the draft compensation we gave up for him, and all of cap/contract talk is overblown.

Edit to add: This post below was a response to another thread that got locked. Edited it a bit to fit in with the post above.

For a hybrid player like Harvin, looking at receiving stats alone is misleading. Harvin has been hovering right around 1000 all purpose yards a season, without even taking into account his return stats. If you look at the stats above, name another WR that is better than that in their last 16 games off the top of your head. The list is small, I guarantee you. Again, add in another 1000+ yds returning and what you have is a guy who literally puts up as many yards as the best all around skill position players active in the game. Anyone who thinks this guy is second tier or less isn't looking at the big picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.