Seahawks sign 6-7,280-pound TE who played hoops in Argentina

JesterHawk

Reaction score
At least we don't have to worry about him embarrassing himself after a TD.

[youtube]SqySH2r6oWo[/youtube]

Basis4day

Reaction score
BattleOfSeattle":24xmaamh said:
Russ Willstrong":24xmaamh said:
No details on the monetary value of his contract yet but giving a guy 3-year contract without an official workout, exam AND for someone who has never played football beyond highschool? His contract may be small but he is nevertheless a project that could take away opportunities from proven FA out there. But you guys are right.. This risk is very calculated and not that high of a risk.

He was signed to a futures contract, which are automatically three-year deals. I believe they are league minimum salary without guaranteed money, but I could be wrong. You realize that there are some 90+ players who sign contracts with the team by training camp each year, before the roster is reduced to 53 with an 8-man practice squad?

Do you know that he wasn't given an official workout or exam? Were you at the VMAC? Antonio Gates didn't play football in college either. Jimmy Graham played for only one season. I'm glad John Schneider and Pete Carroll aren't that narrow-minded, or else we probably wouldn't have signed Brandon Browner or drafted Russell Wilson.

This is the epitome of a low-risk/high-reward signing that will not in any way "take away opportunities from proven FA".

More like take away opportunities from a 3rd Punter. Lots of camp roster spots. The later round, random and UDFA signings of this FO are more fun to follow.

Ruminator

Reaction score
JesterHawk":6vafnqn6 said:
At least we don't have to worry about him embarrassing himself after a TD.

Now we have a guy who is able to dunk the crossbar with authority. But to avoid getting cut, he'll need to master Lesson #1: It's OK to "travel" with the football. Do not dribble.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's great to see them bringing in all kinds of players to compete in camp. Hopefully he turns out to be a stud tight end!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have thought this before, that PC had his eyes on a ton of kids he would potentially recruit at USC. Ones he didn't have room for but saw talent.

I just don't doubt anything these guys do anymore. They give players a chance to prove themselves and if they can perform, they play. They look everywhere for players. They are not risking anything and obviously see something in the guy.

Winterfell

Reaction score
6'7" height, long arms, basketball player used to dunking and going up for rebounds...I can see this guy as an awesome chains-mover. He should be able to out-leap and out-reach anybody on the opposing defense. I wonder what his speed is, although you don't need GREAT separation if you can just pluck the ball out of the air over defenders. Plus at 280 lbs he can probably take hits pretty well coming down with the football, weighs more than LBs and some DL.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
By Jove, I know exactly what's going down now!!! :shock:
I'm amazed that nobody else caught this, but I think that JS and PC have come up with the solution to Wilson's passes that are too high for our Receivers to go up and catch!
Problem solved :thirishdrinkers:
Now if you'll excuse me, my wife has just brought me my pills, vodka, and weed. :3:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
bubbrubb":33a4ktoa said:
Does this eliminate TE as a draft need then?

lol... no this guy is your project's project. If he ever sees the field it likely wont be for a couple years. He hasnt played tackle football in 7 years

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I suspect the will try to rework Zacks contract. They may look at the kid with the Titans if he is not willing. It's not a priority position for the team IMO. This fellow sounds interesting they signed.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2avx52ai said:
bubbrubb":2avx52ai said:
Does this eliminate TE as a draft need then?

lol... no this guy is your project's project. If he ever sees the field it likely wont be for a couple years. He hasnt played tackle football in 7 years

+1. Signing him before other teams could see him work out indicates the coaches saw plenty of ability, but he's no different than Jameson Konz until he proves otherwise.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a thread but I thought this was interesting (but not necessarily worthy of it's own thread).
The Seahawks initially worked out TE Darren Fells as a defensive end last week.
Seattle wasn't impressed with him at the position, so they had him run routes. They obviously liked what they saw out of the 6-foot-7, 280-pound mountain of a man, and are reportedly anxious to get him in pads. Fells, however, faces long odds, but coach Pete Carroll has never shied from a project.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8472/darren-fells

This sheds a bit of light on the type of DE they are looking for. Fells certainly doesn't fit the Leo type lol. Maybe Pete is confident in who he already has? Or maybe they are looking for 2 DE's? You start counting the rosters spots though and we don't have a ton of room on the D-line. Especially if guys are 1 dimensional.

King Dog

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3eg4l4pr said:
I suspect the will try to rework Zacks contract. They may look at the kid with the Titans if he is not willing. It's not a priority position for the team IMO. This fellow sounds interesting they signed.

The kid from the Titans is Jared Cook and he was lobbying to be designated as a WR if the Titans were going to franchise him. There won't be much savings there over Zach if the FO decides to go that direction. He's looking to get paid.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I just hope the dude can catch the ball and run good routes if he can do those than the running and body control (box out players for jump balls) in b ball could translate to the nfl oh an almost forgot he needs to be able to take some hits and not be gun shy when coming over the middle he is a TE.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Trying to find another one of these, are we?

Jimmy2BGraham2Bvs2BFalcons

:lol:

SeahawksFanForever":140omj7p said:
That awkward moment when you don't know how to react after hearing the news that your favorite football team is signing basketball players.

I know that feels dude... :thirishdrinkers:

oasis":140omj7p said:
former basketball players like gates and graham had at least one year of college football (I think).

The reason why we signed him for 3 years is because we wanted to teach him how to play football/be a tight end for the first part of the contract.

This is correct; and LOL at the second line. :th2thumbs:

Hawkscanner":140omj7p said:
Can we hope that he's going to work out for us as well as this former baskeball player turned TE? [Tongue in Cheek]

I'd still rather mine's... :stirthepot:

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Has to be tough to play T-End. Is he tough? Can he bounce back after getting hit by Palomalu?