Leon Washington Stage Left?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Leon Washington Stage Left?
Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 am
  • With the acquisition of Harvin you have to ask yourself why not cut Washington and his salary and have Harvin take his role?
    "It takes a big man to cry but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man"
    Biggiec76
    NET Starter

Re: Leon Washington Stage Left?
Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 am
  • Yep - he is as good as gone.
    Maybe we can trade him for a 7th rounder?
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:34 am
  • hes gone.. sad.. hes one of my top 3 favorite hawks... with his contract.. nope no trade market for him. i dont think this necessarily means we are going to let harvin take on the return role.. if we're payin him the money i think we will be he's not returning kicks/punts... we will let one of the rookie's from the upcoming crop or somebody on the team take over.. just cant keep leon with his contract if were putting a ton of money into harvin.
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am
  • It is sad but I think he is gone also. He needs to at least to see what he can find. I assume they leave the door open like they did with Tru
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 am
  • I was thinking the same thing.

I like Leon.. but I don't know if he has a spot with Harvin here, as he is excellent at returning kicks.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am
  • With Percy's history I simply don't see us using him as a return man

Doesn't mean Leon is gone / staying just don't see Percy factoring into that except for the money being spent
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 am
  • WHY? Do you really want to let a 10 million/year receiver returning kicks. Why not keep Leon? 2 million is not that big of a hit.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am
  • No way.

Leon helps bigtime with field position.

Besides, why would we want to take a weapon we traded for that we need to stretch the field, and throw him into kick returns to assure he gets hurt and does not produce for us? Especially considering the guy has a history of injuries.

No thank you. We need him on passing downs.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 am
  • He is prettyich just a ST player. Why cut him? Makes no sense.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 am
  • mikeak wrote:With Percy's history I simply don't see us using him as a return man

Doesn't mean Leon is gone / staying just don't see Percy factoring into that except for the money being spent

With as much money he is about to receive and with his injury history I don't see us giving Leon the boot.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am
  • I hate to answer a question with a question as it drives me crazy when my wife does that to me.

Ask yourself this question.

Who on our team is tied for the NFL record on kick off/punt returns for touchdowns??

Now ask yourself this.

Why would anyone consider letting that guy go when he can also play a couple of other positions?

Can you now answer your own question?

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am
  • Leon will be here next year theres no need to cut him.
    Digsbone
    Alaskas Biggest Seahawks fan.
    Digsbone
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am
  • I don't know much about what Leon is owed this year, but it makes sense to keep him around. Harvin is currently the best return man in the game, but Minnesota didn't use him exclusively. They just put him back there when they needed a big return. I would optimally like to do the same thing here.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am
  • You could put both back there in big games and the kickoff team would have to not cheat on lanes, also could do a couple misdirections etc by lining them both up center and they split as the whistle blows to their sides creating some assignment conflicts on the kick off team.

I would not use him as an exclusive return guy though.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:I don't know much about what Leon is owed this year, but it makes sense to keep him around. Harvin is currently the best return man in the game, but Minnesota didn't use him exclusively. They just put him back there when they needed a big return. I would optimally like to do the same thing here.

3/1/2011: Signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract. The deal contains $3.5 million guaranteed, including a $1.5 million signing bonus and Washington's first-year base salary. Another $3.5 million is available through incentives. 2013: $1.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2014: $2.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm
  • If the running game is reduced to the point the Lynch gets about 280 carries instead of the 315 he did last year, I have little problem keeping Washington. I cant see us rushing 55% of the time this next year, probably pretty close to 50/50.

Still, if Lynch misses games, I think we'll be in trouble with Washington on the RB depth chart. Perhaps they plan on using Harvin on the ground as well.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:21 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I don't know much about what Leon is owed this year, but it makes sense to keep him around. Harvin is currently the best return man in the game, but Minnesota didn't use him exclusively. They just put him back there when they needed a big return. I would optimally like to do the same thing here.

3/1/2011: Signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract. The deal contains $3.5 million guaranteed, including a $1.5 million signing bonus and Washington's first-year base salary. Another $3.5 million is available through incentives. 2013: $1.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2014: $2.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

This makes me believe he is gone following the 2013 season.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm
  • The Radish wrote:I hate to answer a question with a question as it drives me crazy when my wife does that to me.

Who on our team is tied for the NFL record on kick off/punt returns for touchdowns??

Now ask yourself this.

Why would anyone consider letting that guy go when he can also play a couple of other positions?

Well this is awkward.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm
  • If he doesn't take a pay cut he will be cut or traded b/c we need the cap space next year to resign guys. You have to think your going to see guys like Lynch, Bryant, Rice, Miller, and Mebane all asked to take pay cuts or restructors so that we can keep guys like Sherman, Earl Thomas, Bam Bam Cam and possibly Browner still on our team.
    ***In Carroll We Trust***
    kthebestwayw
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm
  • we need a 3rd running back, and i agree with other posts, why risk injury to your new shiny toy, when you have one of the greatest return guys in history on the team, who can still get it done.. is he making that much money?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm
  • Unless they feel Leon's numbers are gonna be restricting when it comes to the future of our young players (I won't pretend to understand cap hits at all), I'm fine keeping him as the main return guy and putting Harvin back there when you're down late and really need a spark. I don't like the idea of Harvin taking many special team hits, even if he has done it a lot.
    ErikG803
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:29 pm
  • Leon represents a potential 3.25 million cap saving. The Harvin deal is going to need to come from somewhere. I like Leon, but you're paying a pretty penny for a special teams player.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Cant see them brooming Leon over this. Harvin may, or may not be a better return man but Leon is a proven entity within the organization and in the league. Would truly disappoint me if he is a casualty of this trade.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Washington might have as much trade value now as he did in 2010. He can still play at a very high level. Trading Washington makes a lot of sense, IMO.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm
  • Making the numbers work this year is going to be tough. This is what Percy signing does to seahawks.

Leon. Gone, no trade value
    Obomanu. Gone, no trade value
    Tate/Baldwin. On trading block, not a priority to resign.
    Flynn, traded. I cannot see our fo signing Percy without a trade here in the works.
    Miller, actively looking for replacement in draft /fa. Will be asked to take a pay cut if we find one.

This signing does not fit with the organic growth if the last three years. My guess is that our front office was scared of letting percy sign up with the niners. Ballsy move for sure. Go Hawks!
    seahawksTopGear
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm
  • Harvin is here to be a #1 WR. As others mentioned, you don't risk your top receiver by having him return punts and kickoffs. Especially when you have one of the league's best at that role on the team already. Washington is safe. However, Tate's spot may be in jeopardy. Possibly even Baldwin.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm
  • He is a playmaker. You put the ball in his hands any and every way possible as often as you can.

If he is too fragile to handle it you don't pay him mega bucks and give up a first rounder, IMO.

But we will see.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm
  • The Radish wrote:I hate to answer a question with a question as it drives me crazy when my wife does that to me.

Now ask yourself this.

Thank you!
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:38 pm
  • Looks like that might actually be the case.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/stat ... 7568252929

Jason La CanforaVerified account
    ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    As the Seahawks reconfigure cap and budget following today's blockbuster trade for Percy Harvin, they're shopping return man Leon Washington

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:Looks like that might actually be the case.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/stat ... 7568252929

Jason La CanforaVerified account
    ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    As the Seahawks reconfigure cap and budget following today's blockbuster trade for Percy Harvin, they're shopping return man Leon Washington

Yep that sounds right, I think Leon and Obo are on their way out the door. Tate and Baldwin are more valuable.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:09 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Harvin is here to be a #1 WR. As others mentioned, you don't risk your top receiver by having him return punts and kickoffs. Especially when you have one of the league's best at that role on the team already. Washington is safe. However, Tate's spot may be in jeopardy. Possibly even Baldwin.

Looks like the Seahawks disagree with you.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Seahawks are shopping KR/RB Leon Washington.
    We could see this coming after the acquisition of Percy Harvin, who is just as potent in the return game. Washington has a $2.875 million cap number, and that's too expensive for a No. 3 running back who may or may not be used on returns. Washington, 30, finished second in the NFL with his 29.0 YPR average on kickoffs in 2012. He might be able to fetch a late-round pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3739/leon-washington

--- When you pay a guy as much as you're going to pay Harvin, you squeeze every last drop of production you can get out of him.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm
  • What are the odds that they put Golden Tate back there on punt returns if Leon gets traded or cut?

He was kind of scary back there as a rookie, but the staff seems to have coached him up. He plays within himself now.

Leon is fantastic as a special teams player, but I don't know if he's worth that much to our team, especially if the coaching staff thinks that Tate can give even 75% of the production that Leon Washington does now.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm
  • Wouldn't shock me to see a pick like Kerwynn Williams as a RB#3/KR/PR in place of Washington.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm
  • maybe a marcus lattimore to be our 3rd back???????
    "It takes a big man to cry but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man"
    Biggiec76
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:56 pm
  • JS will probably get our 7th rounder back for Leon.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm
  • Leon is a stud when it comes to the return game, with that said Percy Harvin is far better then Leon. I love Leon but i think he's as good as gone, i'm sure one of the 12 million reason a year we got Percy is the return game.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Leon was great on and off the field for us. I really hope we don't cut him but rather trade him to get something back. If we cut him there's a high % that he will end up in SF :/
    w00t
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 pm
  • Any ability to have traded Leon has gone out the window. Everyone in the league will know that we are now hamstrung with his salary and there just won't be enough teams out there wanting to trade to get him. He will most likely be released and will end up on a pretty good team for 35 - 50% of this year's salary.

I really liked having Leon on the team.
    BullHawk33
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm
  • mikeak wrote:With Percy's history I simply don't see us using him as a return man

What history?
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm
  • AF_Hawk wrote:
    Basis4day wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I don't know much about what Leon is owed this year, but it makes sense to keep him around. Harvin is currently the best return man in the game, but Minnesota didn't use him exclusively. They just put him back there when they needed a big return. I would optimally like to do the same thing here.

This makes me believe he is gone following the 2013 season.

Would be ideal in my eyes, throwing Harvin on every return isn't wise (see Devin Hester) but using him situationally is smart.
    Last edited by WestcoastSteve on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:Wouldn't shock me to see a pick like Kerwynn Williams as a RB#3/KR/PR in place of Washington.

^ I'd sign up for that
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm
  • w00t wrote:Leon was great on and off the field for us. I really hope we don't cut him but rather trade him to get something back. If we cut him there's a high % that he will end up in SF :/

Based on what? They have Tedd Ginn...
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:If the running game is reduced to the point the Lynch gets about 280 carries instead of the 315 he did last year, I have little problem keeping Washington. I cant see us rushing 55% of the time this next year, probably pretty close to 50/50.

Still, if Lynch misses games, I think we'll be in trouble with Washington on the RB depth chart. Perhaps they plan on using Harvin on the ground as well.

havent you ever heard of Robert Turbin ?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:08 pm
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    w00t wrote:Leon was great on and off the field for us. I really hope we don't cut him but rather trade him to get something back. If we cut him there's a high % that he will end up in SF :/

My gut feeling. He would want to stick it to the hawks.

Ted Ginn is also gonna test the FA market

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/6/40 ... nt-profile
    w00t
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:No way.

Leon helps bigtime with field position.

Besides, why would we want to take a weapon we traded for that we need to stretch the field, and throw him into kick returns to assure he gets hurt and does not produce for us? Especially considering the guy has a history of injuries.

No thank you. We need him on passing downs.

I agree 100%. Leon Washington was a top 3 returner last year. I get that this board is hyped for Percy Harvin but there is so many questions.

Leon Washington is underrated imo.

Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

"Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm
  • I would hate to see Leon go. He's a class act and a key special teams performer. He's also very tight with the guys in the locker room and is a favorite of his teammates.

But with that said, on paper it makes all the sense in the world to see what you can get for him.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:If the running game is reduced to the point the Lynch gets about 280 carries instead of the 315 he did last year, I have little problem keeping Washington. I cant see us rushing 55% of the time this next year, probably pretty close to 50/50.

havent you ever heard of Robert Turbin ?

Yeah, having the Turbine isn't going to help if Lynch misses games to injury or a conviction in his court case. Washington is little threat running the ball and is advanced in age. So depending on him to be a number two back behind Turbin is unreaslistic. There is a reason to carry a 3rd down back capable of shouldering a #2 back load, else the running game falters with Lynch gone. This is why most teams carry a KR specialist among the WRs or DBs where the depth pool is larger to protect them in case of injury.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:06 pm
  • I think it depends on what Harvins number is and how much more they spend in FA to sign a DL.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:08 am
  • man harvin got some wheels... he looks way faster then leon to my eye!!
    kendog2639
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 am
  • w00t wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:
    w00t wrote:Leon was great on and off the field for us. I really hope we don't cut him but rather trade him to get something back. If we cut him there's a high % that he will end up in SF :/

My gut feeling. He would want to stick it to the hawks.

Ted Ginn is also gonna test the FA market

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/6/40 ... nt-profile

Why would he want to stick it to the team that rescued him from the Jets when everyone thought he was done because of his brutal broken leg? Seattle resurrected his marketability.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information