So, which players are you rooting for at #56?

kearly

Reaction score
Assume for a moment that pass rush isn't necessarily a soul crushing need at #56. Mine (in order):

Datone Jones (maybe 1% chance), Zach Ertz, Ryan Swope, Corey Lemonier, Kawann Short, Sly Williams, Menelik Watson (also pretty unlikely), Lavar Edwards, Gavin Escobar, Brandon Williams, Bennie Logan.

There are other players I really like, but I think we could safely get them in round 3 or beyond.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would be thrilled with either Brandon Williams or Lemonier. Kawann Short would be nice, but I think he goes before 50. Swope would be part head scratch part awesome. Maliciah Goodman is my surprise guy.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Kearly, what about Simon? He is a guy you really seem to like. He could help the pass rush from the 3T or 5T and play some at LEO if needed.

Scott, are you thinking of Goodman as a 3T inside guy or 5T? He is pretty similar size to Datone Jones. He had similar combine/pro day numbers to Datone as well although he has freakishly long arms and huge hands compared to Datone. His arms are 4" longer than datone.

GCrow

Reaction score
Ertz was a guy I really liked before the Harvin trade for his ability to create some versatility offence and line up in different spots. Not so necessary now, so wouldn't mind going D line heavy of the start. Gonna go with Lemonier, another guy i'm kinda torn and flip flopping on that wouldn't mind see falling is Alex Okafor.

aawolf

Reaction score
I think we should go D-line exclusively. I'm fine with any of the D-linemen you mentioned, especially Lemonier and Williams, since they may be there. If not, then Simon is a great pick. If we are going for a TE, I'd like a TE that can block as well as he can catch, so I'd go for Kelce in the third if he's available. If not, then all defense in this draft.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
polarbill1999":32srcwdq said:
Kearly, what about Simon? He is a guy you really seem to like. He could help the pass rush from the 3T or 5T and play some at LEO if needed.

Scott, are you thinking of Goodman as a 3T inside guy or 5T? He is pretty similar size to Datone Jones. He had similar combine/pro day numbers to Datone as well although he has freakishly long arms and huge hands compared to Datone. His arms are 4" longer than datone.

Watch his tape. It is lackluster...until he stunts inside on a guard and the guard can't put his hands on him. So yeah, for me he feels like a pass rush 3 tech.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Brandon Williams, Kasheem Greene, Margus Hunt, John Simon, Arthur Brown Jr., Jamie Collins, Jordan Reed, Ryan Swope, Vance McDonald/Gavin Escobar, Brad Wing (just playin). In that order.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Theyll take Armonty Bryant and send Mel Kiper into hyper hater overdrive... Well it wouldn't surprise me.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Lemonier or Khaseem Green for sure. Either of those guys could really fit in well with this defense.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":1vlepc2w said:
Brandon Williams, Kasheem Greene, Margus Hunt, John Simon, Arthur Brown Jr., Jamie Collins, Jordan Reed, Ryan Swope, Vance McDonald/Gavin Escobar, Brad Wing (just playin). In that order.

Good list

I like
LB's Kasheem Greene, Arthur Brown Jr., Jamie Collins, Jon Bostic
TE's Zach Ertz, Jordan Reed, Gavin Escobar, Travis Kelce, Vance McDonald, Joseph Fauria
DE's Tank Carradine, Damontre Moore, Alex Okafore, Devin Taylor, Corey Lemonier, John Simon
DT's Kwame Short, Jesse Williams, Beanie Logan, Montari Hughes, John Jenkins, Josh Boyd
CB's Robert Alford, Darius Slay, Tyrann Mathieu

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Zach Ertz please. I know we have the pass rush needs .. but he's very Gronk like, and our already scary offense would look downright terrifying with that element added.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I'm not "rooting" for any particular player at this point. Great to pickup Harvin, but not having a 1st takes some of that excitement away. I think the Hawks will be better off with Harvin. Hope so. The kind of guys I could see available and possibilities (DL, OLB, possibly G/T or even a DB with return skills)... Kyle Long, Devin Taylor, Travis Long, Sio Moore, Khaseem Greene, D.J. Swearinger (can play either Safety with excellent coverage skills), Tank Carradine, Alvin Bailey, Larry Warford, (gulp, Tyrann Matthieu), Jordan Poyer, etc. (to name a few) Free Agency may change the direction to simply BPA. I've come to the conclusion that I don't think I understand enough about scheme fit for the DL players... so, I'm always interested to read what some of you offer there. I can recognize talent, but I can't quite understand why or why not a certain player would be the right fit.
I do think that the trade for Harvin seems to indicate to me that perhaps the Hawks were targeting a game changer. I'll bet they had Tavon Austin #1 on their board... but, since his stock is rising in the first round and would be unlikely to land him at the 25 spot, they jumped at the chance to get Harvin. I don't know if there would be anyone who would say Austin is a better player than Harvin. It's interesting some of the comments I've heard from the talking heads the last couple of days about this WR draft class. I've seen several WR's drop out of 1st round projections and only Patterson and Austin remain. Heard yesterday on NFL Network with all the Harvin and Boldin trade talk that these moves make sense because it's such a thin talent draft class at the position. I was surprised by that. Perhaps with all the draft excitement and team needs... we just get a little too caught up in dreaming of these players. The part I really like about the draft is... the draft. There's always guys that go in the 5th round that some project on hype up in the higher rounds. I don't think we're all totally off in our assessments... but, I just have to laugh sometimes when some of us break out in howls of protest about some of our opinions... like, "There's NO WAY that guy last's until the 2nd round." or, "That guy could've been had in the 3rd or 4th." It's fun to try to project... but, there's so much more that goes into evaluation. Scheme fit probably is the most important... but, how many of us would've said that Harvin was a scheme fit (or highest priority to trade 3 picks away and sign him to a big contract?) I'm humbled every year about how much I really don't know. But, it's sure fun still trying to play GM- especially when the Hawks are the team they are right now!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for Short, he may slide to us based on teams drafting on need and the move of teams to 3-4. Reed at TE , but not in the 1st round

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I still want Margus Hunt, he is older and perhaps too raw for a pick that early but I think he could be close to Jones in a rotational 5 tech end or 3 tech pass rusher. A lot of players could be had for good value at that spot, I think I could be talked into Arthur Brown or Alex Okafor as well but I'm okay with another trade down to round 3 to add more picks as well as Devin Taylor could be an even better version of Margus Hunt.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Really depends on the next few days. If we great Abraham & Desmond Bryant, then I'll have to almost surely say a WLB or another pass rusher. We don't need another WR.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
my guys i would pick up in this order Cornelius Carradine, Khaseem Greene, Sio Moore, Kewann Short, Gavin Escobar,Datone Jones, sylvester williams.

two dog

Reaction score
Arthur brown.

Sly Williams would be good. Gavin Escobar or Cory Lemon-wa.
Hardest to explain but most satisfying would be Ryan Swope.

Oh, and Darius Slay

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this stage it really depends upon who is acquired during FA.

The Harvin move has significantly increased the need for the team to either re-up at least one of our own, or find the pass rushers in FA.

As a fan of the team I was excited by Harvin being added as he brings exciting possibilities to the team and is young. His addition will result in a series of related roster moves at kick returner and WR. Because he already has a contract of $2.75 mil with luck the differential for his new deal won't bust the cap. I'm sure he will be fairly costly though.

However as much as I am excited by the move as a fan of the exciting possibilities he brings I'm disappointed as a draft fan and the loss of opportunity to draft on day 1 of the draft while increasing the pressure to find the right guys later in the draft. At present I'm sure the FO has already thought this through and we will see the answers on the field and won't be wondering where the pass rush will be coming from when the season starts but a significant rethink of the early draft is likely occurring in Renton as well as among all the fait.

For me @ 56 I like Short if he falls, only if we were to acquire someone like Abraham. If not then Sylvester Williams on a similar reasoning basis. If no edge rusher is acquired but the team grabs a 3 tech then we are scrambling for Lemonier, Simon, Carradine or even an other while keeping one of Jones or Branch depending upon who we get.

If FA is kind to the team with the pass rush then you look at relative value compared to an already in place roster player and for the guy who physically offers some exceptional trait, size, speed, or intangible 'it'. If the pass rush is in place then Ertz, or Justin Hunter.

I could even see the team trading up or even down now. A whole lot will determined by what happens in FA.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Dream draft post Harvin and pre any FA signings but predicting Abraham and Seymore

2. WLB Kaseem Green
3. DE Devin Taylor
4. CB Tyrann Mathieu
5. TE Joseph Fauria
5. DT Josh Boyd
6. LB Michael Clay
7. WR Marquess Wilson
7. DE Armonty Bryant

*edit post Avril/Bennet
2. LB Aurther Brown
3. CB Tyrann Mathieu
4. TE Jordan Reed