Is this the end of Tate or Baldwin?

hawkmanj

Reaction score
I think both stay, but Tate has more playing time. Tate has made great strives and never quits. So long as he continues to develop, I hope he stays here a long time.

This is about making the offense all the more dangerous.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
redhawk253":kgmawkro said:
get somethin for tate while we can... he is now redundant as a poor mans harvin... plus we wont be able to pay him when his contract comes due...

A 4th round pick at best. No thanks, keep him and let's make a Super Bowl run this year. Our WR depth was not all that great this year after our top 3, Charly Martin, Braylon Edwards, Jermaine Kearse none of those guys was particularly impressive.

Keep all 4, if Tate walks after this season that's fine. I bet we'd get a nice compensatory pick for him.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
DJrmb":38dbwfqu said:
I think we all agree that Obo is gone. However keep in mind that Obo was one of our best special teams players and will have to be replaced. You aren't going to put your starting WR's out there on Special teams to get hurt making tackles so that means the WR's you keep as backups need to be assets on Special teams. That doesn't bode well for Baldwin.

Rice
Harvin
Tate
Kearse
Bates
Williams

Are you kidding, Baldwin is a stud receiver. Kearse hasn't shown any ability to consistently get open and catch the ball. Your #4 WR is primarily a receiver, the #5 guy is the special teamer.

Rice, Harvin, Tate, Baldwin. Kearse/Martin battle it out as the ST guy.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":x06jz7wo said:
After this season, I expect one of Baldwin or Tate to be gone. Tate seems more valuable and plays outside while Harvin plays more inside possibly leaving Baldwin as the odd man out

Baldwin is a RFA meaning they can give him a 1.5 million dollar second-round tender. Why would you get rid of him?

w00t

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1s4bmhrg said:
DJrmb":1s4bmhrg said:
I think we all agree that Obo is gone. However keep in mind that Obo was one of our best special teams players and will have to be replaced. You aren't going to put your starting WR's out there on Special teams to get hurt making tackles so that means the WR's you keep as backups need to be assets on Special teams. That doesn't bode well for Baldwin.

Rice
Harvin
Tate
Kearse
Bates
Williams

Are you kidding, Baldwin is a stud receiver. Kearse hasn't shown any ability to consistently get open and catch the ball. Your #4 WR is primarily a receiver, the #5 guy is the special teamer.

Rice, Harvin, Tate, Baldwin. Kearse/Martin battle it out as the ST guy.

who's Martin? We still got Ruvell?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
SeaTown81":2knjcgfn said:
Davis Hsu made a good point on Twitter. The team still doesn't have that BIG tall wr threat that they like. Maybe they could add one in the draft. But who knows. Adding Harvin to a group that includes guys like Tate and Baldwin makes for a rather small wr corps. Who knows what they do this year. But I really can't see Harvin, Tate, and Baldwin as 3 of your top 4 wr's for too long. Be it this year or the next, I think we should expect to see the team add a wr that is a bit different than they guys they currently have.

Rice is 6'4" how do we not have that big tall WR that we like?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
DJrmb":1hu2gr3f said:
Tech Worlds":1hu2gr3f said:
Both will be on the team.

Why would we want to go and weaken a position that we just shored up? Crazy talk.

You weaken the position by keeping too many of the same type of player. There are 3 different WR spots. With 3 different responsibilities and ideal attributes. You can't just keep all slot guys...

It's crazy talk to think that you can just throw a slot WR out as a flanker and be fine.

People realize there is a difference between a SS and a FS. You wouldn't play Kam Chancellor in Earls role. Well same with WR...

Tate is an outside receiver, Rice is an outside receiver.

Harvin and Baldwin are slot guys, how is that too many of the same player?

w00t

Reaction score
^ ah shoot i forgot bout Charly lol

Rat

Reaction score
With their minimal contracts, we get next to no salary cap relief by getting rid of either. Having too many good targets in the passing game is hardly a bad thing.

That being said, I'd listen to trade offers. I doubt we'd get more than a third for either, however, and that wouldn't be worth it. Tate is a clutch guy, and while Baldwin disappointed me somewhat last year, he's still useful.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
JSeahawks":tyg61cx3 said:
kearly":tyg61cx3 said:
Scottemojo":tyg61cx3 said:
Baldwin can get a RFA tag next year, so why is he part of this question? And Tate is going to want paid. But by the end of this year he just could warrant a good payday too. Tag him if need be.

Way too soon to start worrying about crap like this.

I imagine Seattle will place a 2nd round RFA tag on Baldwin next year and hope a team steps up to help them recoup that mid rounder from the Harvin trade.

Tate is going to be a restricted free agent as well I believe? Or will he be unrestricted? He'll be 4 years into his career, dont you need 5 to be unrestricted?

They changed it in the new CBA, unrestricted after the 4th year. The bright side to that is you get to keep Baldwin for dirt cheap.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":ry602555 said:
It suggests to me that it's the end of Ben Obomanu and his 2.3 million contract next year.
This, Pete isn't going to screw around with the chemestry that Wilson and Tate have developed.
Why is bringing in Harvin an automatic assumption to canning a POSITIVE??
Obo will likely be shown the exit door, but Baldwin and Tate?, I'd say are safe at home.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think Tate and Baldy stay in 2013.

However, if Harvin blows up the Seahawks offense, Superbowl or not, Bevell is going to be a head coach somewhere. Depeneding on the team that hires him, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Flynn and Tate or Baldy follow him.

thinking Idzik in New York, and the leash that Rex Ryan and Sanchez will be on, might be a destination.

HawkWow

Reaction score
There has to be someone out there that would give us a 1st for Flynn, Baldwin, Obo and Washington. C'mon...someone. We are a pass rush away from history. C'mon...someone.

OP
OP
VancitySeahawk

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
After thinking about it, Tate will stay for a variety of reasons.

-To take over PR/KR duties from Leon (no I dont want Harvin doing PR/KR after signing a huge contract)
-Although Harvin is greatly a better WR than Tate, Tate is a better deep threat and the best deep threat on the team.

kendog2639

Reaction score
heard schneider is real big on the stephen williams kid... hes a big physical wr and wouldnt be surprised if hes part of the 53!!! I dont see us drafting a wr now, i see us addressing the d line, lb, off line, 3rd rb, and joker tight end!!

McGruff

Reaction score
DJrmb":5r12leoj said:
Tech Worlds":5r12leoj said:
Both will be on the team.

Why would we want to go and weaken a position that we just shored up? Crazy talk.

You weaken the position by keeping too many of the same type of player. There are 3 different WR spots. With 3 different responsibilities and ideal attributes. You can't just keep all slot guys...

It's crazy talk to think that you can just throw a slot WR out as a flanker and be fine.

People realize there is a difference between a SS and a FS. You wouldn't play Kam Chancellor in Earls role. Well same with WR...

Tate is not a slot guy. Just cause he's short doesn't make him a slot. Tate is a split end, end of story.

Harvin is multi-dimensional. He'll play flanker or split end in two WR sets. They'll even put him and Rice to one side opposite a TE. He'll move to the slot in three WR sets. He'll line up in the backfield and be a threat to run or receive.

Baldwin is a pure slot guy.