Instant Reaction: Rate the Harvin trade

I feel the Harvin trade was:

• A masterstroke: Harvin is easily worth the price

Votes: 118 39.2%
  • It's very expensive, but Harvin makes good sense

Votes: 142 47.2%
  • Given the high cost, this deal should probably "break even" overall.

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Why not Revis or maybe Suh instead? Harumph!

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • This is the Deion Branch trade all over again.

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":3r2ebav3 said:
I hate it. The contract will hamstring our defense. If we lose any of our DBs because of this it will be an absolute disaster. Our defense is the one with the major issues, not the offense. Why are we throwing draft picks and money at it?

You dont even know what the contract is yet and its already disastrous and hamstringing our defense? If we lose DB's because of it, we'll draft new ones. If there's any area where you should trust Pete and John its in that.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
JSeahawks":snxgwxm2 said:
ivotuk":snxgwxm2 said:

You dont even know what the contract is yet and its already disastrous and hamstringing our defense? If we lose DB's because of it, we'll draft new ones. If there's any area where you should trust Pete and John its in that.

we know what he wants. we don't know what he'll get.

But don't rely on PC and JS drafting new ones. Sometimes they bust sometimes they don't.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
ivotuk":d7md141e said:
Wow, you have no idea what the contract is yet...besides it was naive to think our entire was going to stay intact anyway. The acquisition of Percy Harvin is not going to undue the team even if you think so. The blinders some of you have on are incredibly big.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Carmon1274":38b9a61v said:
we know what he wants. we don't know what he'll get.

But don't rely on PC and JS drafting new ones. Sometimes they bust sometimes they don't.
Don't rely on the draft? Really?

Woooooooow... :shock:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This is an amazing moment to be a seahawks fan. Our defense will improve for the sheer fact our offense will be playing with the lead the majority of the time. They will do whatever is best for the team, if Sherm or Kam want to be overpaid they will walk but we will still have RW and his army of WR's

DannyMcGwire

Reaction score
Might of been a bit of a gamble long term, but hard to argue that this doesn't make us significantly better for 2013!

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Also, I love that San Fran fans are crapping all over themselves about this trade.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Went with expensive but makes sense. Almost dead even between the first 2 options. We're going to be one exciting team to watch, that's for sure.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I'm glad we did it, but it is expensive. Combination of picks and salary make it spendy, but I am very confident it will be worth it.

As far as Branch, he was not the talent that Harvin is.

Riley12

Reaction score
12th_Bob":vtp25hs4 said:
Also, I love that San Fran fans are crapping all over themselves about this trade.

That, and their signing of Boldin right away, indicates to me that there were high hopes that Harvin would be a Niner.

And the rule of life is: Anything that makes a Niner fan sad = Something that makes me happy

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Harvin is 24 years old and is an All-Pro talent.

His injury history is overstated. It wasn't his knee last year (just a high ankle sprain) and previously he only missed 3 games in 3 seasons.

He may not have prolific receiving numbers but he has averaged around 2000 all-purpose yards per year in his first 4 years - (even with an injury shortened season this year) - which is elite.

We traded our first round pick for this year, which is 25th overall, AFTER we had the chance to assess all of the talent in this year's draft. This is important as this isn't a blind first rounder. We know what we would have got at 25 and feel Harvin is worth more.

Regardless, Harvin is worth more than just about every 25th pick overall who has ever existed.

He is a special talent that improves our offense by adding dimensions it never had and special teams.

This is a fantastic trade.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
1496 offensive yards
11 offensive TDs
Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":3dvpckef said:
Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
1496 offensive yards
11 offensive TDs
Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby

With Christian Ponder as his QB.

He's the best of Joey Galloway, Leon Washington and Golden Tate all wrapped into one.

hawkmanj

Reaction score
I dislike the price with what we gave up and what it twill take to sign him. I hope we didn't hamstring our defense our ability to re-sgn Sherman, Thomas, ect.

That said, I think San Francisco wanted him and may have driven up the price. If so, we are also keeping it away from a divisional opponent, all the better.

In the end, I think this shows where we are and that Pete and John are ready to win NOW. And the best way to do that may be to make RW and the offense all the more dangerous. And that may be the best way to help the D, especially if we put up 7 more points a game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Think the draft price is a steal. I worry that we're going to lean on the offense to set up the defense, but if the gambit works, we'll see a lot more INTs next year.

two dog

Reaction score
By the time the guys who won't be back/can't be back are factored in, this
contract will hardly feel like armageddon.

The fans have to wait a decent interval until "sticker shock" is absorbed,
then they can feel o.k. about the trade as just a trade.

You would not get anybody this good in the first round this year.
The 7th rounder will already be a memory by the time the draft arrives.

Next year's traded pick (the Viks board is saying a 3rd?) will probably
have been recouped by JS by the time that draft arrives.
He's done it before.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I don't get all the I don't like the price talk, franchise type players who are in the prime of their careers don't come for backup qbs and borderline 2nd round picks alone and they cost money. Most would argue he's a top 5 wr but if you're really wanting to put up a fight about it he's a lock for top 10, cant argue that...with this years first and next yrs 3rd or 4th you're hoping to land a stud, take the risk out of it go straight after the known stud, no guesswork needed. Some of you talk as if 2 picks guarantees 2 quality starters and we just lost 2 top end talents but we've seen plenty of busts through the years. We'll see where the contract lands but if he signs in line of Bowe this trade is a win win and I don't think we came close to overpaying for the added dimension he brings to this team.