What Vikings fans are saying about the Percy Harvins trade..

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I find that how good a player is is best found by seeing what his old team's fans are saying about him leaving, and here are the links. Many are very bummed, while others are saying no big deal... but they care! Believe you me... I'm totally pumped about this deal. They all call him their second best player behind Peterson, and that's pretty damn good! Instantly puts our offense into lethal territory. Would be more pumped if we hadn't had to part with more than our first rounder. I trust our front office and Pete, so I totally endorse this deal. Now, lets get us some pass rushers! THAT will cement us as SB TOP contenders. Now is such a great time to be a Seahawks fan... We so deserve this! Training camp can't get here soon enough!!! *girlish squeal*

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=63

http://rubechat.kfan.com/viewforum.php? ... bcffcfb07c

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=24

http://www.vikings.com/fans/messageboards.html

http://www.purplepride.org/f2/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/forum/_/nam ... ta-vikings

http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewforu ... 4a81ada5fc

HawkWow

Reaction score
Not to spoil the party but this is a far cry from revenge. The Vikes actually scored huge on this deal. They get a bevy of picks for a player that was likely going to hold out and at the very least conduct himself like an absolute prick until traded. We still owe them for the Hutch thing and I look forward to owning their ass' for years to come.

For the record, I am stoked with this signing and understand we gave what we had to give. I have a feeling we're about to see the very best of Percy Harvin. RW will see to that. No way do we avg less than 30 per game in 13 (etc.). Add some pass rush and we could / should become an all-timer.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see the revenge angle. Harvin was disgruntled, and Minnesota still managed to get a 1st, a 7th, and a mid-round pick next year for him. They didn't walk away empty-handed. Granted, their WR corps is completely trashed now, and they'll be taking on plenty of uncertainty in trying to replace Harvin, but they did okay in this deal. Better than they would have, in fact, if the 49ers hadn't been part of the push for Harvin.

What I find funny is that so many Vikes fans on some of those boards are convinced that Seahawks fans are upset over this trade. I'd put the overall vibe at .NET at about 90% positive and 10% negative. Sound about right?

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
meh. Beyond the first rounder, the seventh ain't really nothin'. The mid-rounder next year concerns me more. Wish we could have avoided that. Our front office is going for it right now, big time. And I gotta say, I'm pretty f'ing excited by it. We're young enough as a team to toss a few picks around, and we have a few to throw around. I want a SuperBowl trophy NOW, and I hope they do whatever it takes to do it... Just for that season opener where we all get to witness the World Champion Banner unfurl from the rafters... My goosebumps would be so huge that I'd look like a porcupine! GO Front Office! Waste the salary cap and lets go for it RIGHT NOW!!!! We're THIS CLOSE!!!

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3lddmssj said:
Yeah, I don't see the revenge angle. Harvin was disgruntled, and Minnesota still managed to get a 1st, a 7th, and a mid-round pick next year for him. They didn't walk away empty-handed. Granted, their WR corps is completely trashed now, and they'll be taking on plenty of uncertainty in trying to replace Harvin, but they did okay in this deal. Better than they would have, in fact, if the 49ers hadn't been part of the push for Harvin.

What I find funny is that so many Vikes fans on some of those boards are convinced that Seahawks fans are upset over this trade. I'd put the overall vibe at .NET at about 90% positive and 10% negative. Sound about right?

I didn't really mean that. I was just making a flippant response. But yeah, I'd put the positive at roughly 90%. What's not to like? I could see some people saying we were adequate at WR and should have broke the bank on a pass rush, and I would probably have agreed. But when a guy like Percy enters the coversation, ya gotta jump... Ya just gotta...

HawkWow

Reaction score
I was hoping we'd get Harvin and Webb for our 1st, 5th and Flynn. In any event, right when you thought this team couldn't be much more fun to watch...we just got A LOT more fun to watch. ;) That's the good news. The bad news is this will surely be the longest off-season in (Seahawk fan) history.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1jmeccyg said:
volsunghawk":1jmeccyg said:

I didn't really mean that. I was just making a flippant response. But yeah, I'd put the positive at roughly 90%. What's not to like? I could see some people saying we were adequate at WR and should have broke the bank on a pass rush, and I would probably have agreed. But when a guy like Percy enters the coversation, ya gotta jump... Ya just gotta...

I couldn't agree more. Initially, I wanted to pass on the temptation because he was acting like a bitch. But the more I thought about the draft and prospects like Wallace, the more I warmed up to Harvin. When I saw the news today, I went thru the roof and decided to call it a 3 day weekend. ;)

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
HawkWow":1t3iovyr said:
The bad news is this will surely be the longest off-season in (Seahawk fan) history.

I know huh?? It is complete torture. Mini-camp will be a slight fix before nirvana... HURRY UP SEASON DAMNIT!! :D

HawkWow

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3upthuso said:
HawkWow":3upthuso said:
The bad news is this will surely be the longest off-season in (Seahawk fan) history.

I know huh?? It is complete torture. Mini-camp will be a slight fix before nirvana... HURRY UP SEASON DAMNIT!! :D

It's going to be hateful. And worse, the first day of the draft just got a lot less exciting as well. The NFL is just too big and successful these days for an 8 month off season. It's insanity. We need 64 teams and a 4 month off-season, IMO.

HawkWow

Reaction score
BTW...and regarding the topic: I got just one text from a Viking fan today. It read "good luck with your new headcase". I took the high road and wrote back..."Good luck in the play-offs". That was the end of that. ;)

kearly

Reaction score
I think Minnesota won the trade more than we did. A #25 pick in a year where the 25th pick is almost as good as the 5th pick is, plus a 7th and a future mid rounder ("likely a 3rd"). Plus all the cap space saved. This is also a ridiculously loaded draft for WR. All of this for a player that had they kept him would have held out, played the minimum, and then left in 2014. This is a HUGE win for the Vikings, on par with the epic win the 49ers got when trading Smith.

From our end, I think the trade was worth it, but at an extremely heavy cost. So overall, I'd say that I'm supportive of the trade and I'm very excited to have Harvin in our offense, but I wouldn't have personally made it myself. Schefter hinted at Harvin getting close to $16 million per. If that's $13 or $14 million, factored with the draft pick cost, it's like trading 3 or 4 good players for Harvin. So he'd need to be King Shit for us just to break even. I think he will be, and Seattle is at a place on their roster where 1 elite player means way more than 1 good player since our roster is so incredibly good right now. Still, I think we did okay, I think they did outstanding. Win-win, but they won more than we did, IMO.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't know, I see where you are coming from kearly but I also think you are way overrating some guys in this draft. Every year there are guys who over achieve and guys who bust, but I can't think of the last 20 something pick we had that worked out for us. Last 25 was Carp, and he's to be determined, but teetering on bust.

chimpston17

Reaction score
Viking fan here. Just wanted to register to give my input as someone who has watched him play every game since he has come into the league. You are going to love him. It may seem like a big price to pay, but in terms of talent Percy is actually worth more than what you ended up giving up to get him in my opinion. Last year Peterson referred to himself and Percy as 'Jordan and Jordan', not 'Jordan and Pippen', which shows how highly he thinks of Percy cause we know high his expectations are for himself. As much as it might seem like a silly thing to say, Percy really was playing at or at least close to an MVP caliber level until he got hurt last year and it really did feel like I was watching a wr version of AP. He was leading the league in yds from scrimmage, and even still was doing so with a qb that was mediocre at best. Many of his catches were quick screens behind the line of scrimmage that he would turn into 10+ yd gains on his own by making 2 or 3 guys miss. Every kickoff he takes feels like it's going to the house. Playing with RW, I think the sky is the limit for him in terms of how productive he can be, because he'll have more opportunities to catch passes down the field.

Injuries are a concern with him not because he is injury prone, but because he is so difficult to bring down that it usually takes 2 or 3 guys or a huge hit to do so. He is incredibly tough. Several times last year you could tell he was playing hurt but he would always come back into the game. It's one of the things I came to love about watching him play every week is that you can really tell he leaves it all out on the field. That is until he finally stayed out after tearing a ligament in his ankle, but even still I think most people believe his placement on IR was more because his rift with coach Frazier than the actual injury. I'm really not sure why the rift got so bad, but if the change of scenery fixes it then you still got one heck of a deal to land him. As long as he is playing, he gives you everything he has and it's something that's pretty special to see. If Sea utilizes him downfield more often than the vikes did, which I imagine they will with RW, it should help him avoid taking some of the pounding he takes from starting so much of his work behind the line of scrimmage.

For myself I'm good with the trade because I had already mentally accepted the vikes would have to trade him, and so I'm satisfied with what they got for him. That being said I will miss watching him line up every week and I think you guys got a steal. I feel like I should root against him because of how he basically quit on the vikes, but I just love everything he brings to the field so much that I'm not sure i'll be able to do that. I like the team you guys have put together a lot.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":q58ltiov said:
I think Minnesota won the trade more than we did. A #25 pick in a year where the 25th pick is almost as good as the 5th pick is, plus a 7th and a future mid rounder ("likely a 3rd"). Plus all the cap space saved. This is also a ridiculously loaded draft for WR. All of this for a player that had they kept him would have held out, played the minimum, and then left in 2014. This is a HUGE win for the Vikings, on par with the epic win the 49ers got when trading Smith.

From our end, I think the trade was worth it, but at an extremely heavy cost. So overall, I'd say that I'm supportive of the trade and I'm very excited to have Harvin in our offense, but I wouldn't have personally made it myself. Schefter hinted at Harvin getting close to $16 million per. If that's $13 or $14 million, factored with the draft pick cost, it's like trading 3 or 4 good players for Harvin. So he'd need to be King Shit for us just to break even. I think he will be, and Seattle is at a place on their roster where 1 elite player means way more than 1 good player since our roster is so incredibly good right now. Still, I think we did okay, I think they did outstanding. Win-win, but they won more than we did, IMO.

My feelings exactly. When I heard 1st and 7th...I was pleasantly surprized. Then they casually mentioned the mid rd next year...almost in passing, and I was like...say what? I'm cool with it largely because of Wilson. I can't think of a better toy for RW.

Decimation

Reaction score
chimpston17":2ezx7dod said:
Viking fan here. Just wanted to register to give my input as someone who has watched him play every game since he has come into the league. You are going to love him. It may seem like a big price to pay, but in terms of talent Percy is actually worth more than what you ended up giving up to get him in my opinion. Last year Peterson referred to himself and Percy as 'Jordan and Jordan', not 'Jordan and Pippen', which shows how highly he thinks of Percy cause we know high his expectations are for himself. As much as it might seem like a silly thing to say, Percy really was playing at or at least close to an MVP caliber level until he got hurt last year and it really did feel like I was watching a wr version of AP. He was leading the league in yds from scrimmage, and even still was doing so with a qb that was mediocre at best. Many of his catches were quick screens behind the line of scrimmage that he would turn into 10+ yd gains on his own by making 2 or 3 guys miss. Every kickoff he takes feels like it's going to the house. Playing with RW, I think the sky is the limit for him in terms of how productive he can be, because he'll have more opportunities to catch passes down the field.

Injuries are a concern with him not because he is injury prone, but because he is so difficult to bring down that it usually takes 2 or 3 guys or a huge hit to do so. He is incredibly tough. Several times last year you could tell he was playing hurt but he would always come back into the game. It's one of the things I came to love about watching him play every week is that you can really tell he leaves it all out on the field. That is until he finally stayed out after tearing a ligament in his ankle, but even still I think most people believe his placement on IR was more because his rift with coach Frazier than the actual injury. I'm really not sure why the rift got so bad, but if the change of scenery fixes it then you still got one heck of a deal to land him. As long as he is playing, he gives you everything he has and it's something that's pretty special to see. If Sea utilizes him downfield more often than the vikes did, which I imagine they will with RW, it should help him avoid taking some of the pounding he takes from starting so much of his work behind the line of scrimmage.

For myself I'm good with the trade because I had already mentally accepted the vikes would have to trade him, and so I'm satisfied with what they got for him. That being said I will miss watching him line up every week and I think you guys got a steal. I feel like I should root against him because of how he basically quit on the vikes, but I just love everything he brings to the field so much that I'm not sure i'll be able to do that. I like the team you guys have put together a lot.
Classy post. Thanks for the insight fellow Vikings fan.

I'm excited for Harvin in our offense! I've heard he's a "diva" or "headcase" but it will help that he will have a familiar face lining up on the other side in Sidney Rice.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Thanks for the post chimpston17. I knew we were getting someone special, and you helped confirm it. I was worried about the injury thing, but I'm not worried anymore. Hope you have good luck with your picks that you got... maybe we'll cross paths in the playoffs soon! c'ya soon! BT

HawkWow

Reaction score
I have a hunch (and so does the FO) that Harvin the "headcase" will do for us what Dillon the "headcase" did for NE. IF Harvin plays the diva in Seattle, he will hold that moniker for eternity. IF he plays his heart out, he can put the messy past on Minnesota. His agent is wisely advising him of this right now.