So who improved the most today? SF or SEA?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We got Harvin, they got Boldin.

Harvin is faster, stretches the field more, is more versatile and is younger. He is also probably going to be insanely expensive, both in what his salary is and what we lose in other players we have to release that we can no longer afford.
He also does not have a great reputation as a plus guy as a teammate.

Boldin is older, more reliable, a better receiver but slower, and probably cheaper. I don't think he is much of a risk to locker-room chemistry either.

I think SF gets the edge here because Crabtree is now just as dangerous but you cannot focus on the guy. WR was a big weakness for SF and now it is almost a strength.

We had a decent corp of WRs, just nothing spectacular - with Harvin I think we got better but not to the extent that SF improved. I think Tate or Tavon Austin could have been a watered down version of Harvin and I am still concerned about our DL.

Thank goodness this is a deep draft for the DL.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't think there is a question that the Seahawks got the biggest net talent gain.

Toss a coin for which team is overall better off.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Is this a joke? A 24-year-old Harvin against a 32-year-old Boldin? Nothing against Boldin, he has been a workhorse his whole career, but he has never been an electric #1. Watch Harvin and he smokes the eye test in a way Boldin doesn't, plus he's ours for a long time, assuming we sign him to a new contract which is almost a guarantee.

What is with people and posting ridiculous threads today?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
"The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!!" - AP

No quotes from the highest paid player in the NFL about boldin yet.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Obviously, Seattle picked up the biggest available talent at WR. They also gave up the most. Teams were likely bidding high on Harvin. Boldin would have been cut if there were no takers. You can't really compare the two transactions.

I think these moves help both teams right now.

rjdriver

Reaction score
We got better by a longshot. No comparison.

The debate is who got the most bang for their buck. Probably the Niners

kidhawk

Reaction score
Did the Niners get a bit of a steal? Sure, but they don't have all that much room under their cap, so Boldin is going to eat up a lot of it, and he may only be a one year rental player as he stated in Baltimore that he wouldn't take a pay cut and wanted to play out the terms of his contract ($6 million). For this coming year, Harvin will most likely count for less than that even after we renew his contract, so now we have Harvin, younger, faster, (was at a pace for more yards with a far worse qb), less cap hit this year and anyone out there actually thinks the niners improved more? That is CRAZY. There's a niner fan here at work who wanted Harvin so bad. He's alright with the Boldin trade, but he'd swap those trades in an instant

Edit: Wanted to add here, that Boldin was even the Niners second option. They were the ones we were bidding against to get Harvin, so getting Harvin not only helped us by making us better, but kept him from going to the Niners

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We did. No comparison.

Sherman/Browner can handle big slow physical guys.. the Niners have no one that can handle Harvin (who had a great game against them last season)

themunn

Reaction score
Harvin is the better player, but IMO SF filled a bigger position of need - we had 3 talented receivers already. SF had just 1 (Crabtree).

Boldin is 32 and people are saying SF will get one good year out of him. This isn't the 90s anymore. WRs can play for years - especially ones who don't rely on speed, Boldin could play another 3 or 4 years at least, and is good for 800+ yards a season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
themunn":1gvv06g6 said:
Harvin is the better player, but IMO SF filled a bigger position of need - we had 3 talented receivers already. SF had just 1 (Crabtree).

Boldin is 32 and people are saying SF will get one good year out of him. This isn't the 90s anymore. WRs can play for years - especially ones who don't rely on speed, Boldin could play another 3 or 4 years at least, and is good for 800+ yards a season.

Boldin has discussed retirement before, and wants to play out his current contract, so unless he's changed his mind, he may only be in the league for one more season. It's not that he CAN'T play longer, but that he MAY NOT play any longer than one season

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Can Boldin take a kick off or punt 90+ yards to the hizouse?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SF swapped Bolden for Randy Moss. Replaced one aging vet with another. Net gain was not much.

We added one of the top 2 or 3 playmakers in the league to an offense that was already really good at the end of the year. Huge net gain.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I like Boldin as a possession WR but he is not the home run threat Harvin is, I wonder if the 49ers try and move up for Tavon Austin now?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Could well be that come January 2014, the two teams most deserving to make it to the Superbowl come out of the same division -- the NFC West. No, not the Rams and the Cardinals. Almost too bad one team will have to come out of the AFC.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
So are we going to have to pay Harvin (like a contract Calvin Johnson) had?