Leon Washington Stage Left?

ErikG803

Reaction score
Unless they feel Leon's numbers are gonna be restricting when it comes to the future of our young players (I won't pretend to understand cap hits at all), I'm fine keeping him as the main return guy and putting Harvin back there when you're down late and really need a spark. I don't like the idea of Harvin taking many special team hits, even if he has done it a lot.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Leon represents a potential 3.25 million cap saving. The Harvin deal is going to need to come from somewhere. I like Leon, but you're paying a pretty penny for a special teams player.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Cant see them brooming Leon over this. Harvin may, or may not be a better return man but Leon is a proven entity within the organization and in the league. Would truly disappoint me if he is a casualty of this trade.

kearly

Reaction score
Washington might have as much trade value now as he did in 2010. He can still play at a very high level. Trading Washington makes a lot of sense, IMO.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Making the numbers work this year is going to be tough. This is what Percy signing does to seahawks.

Leon. Gone, no trade value
Obomanu. Gone, no trade value
Tate/Baldwin. On trading block, not a priority to resign.
Flynn, traded. I cannot see our fo signing Percy without a trade here in the works.
Miller, actively looking for replacement in draft /fa. Will be asked to take a pay cut if we find one.

This signing does not fit with the organic growth if the last three years. My guess is that our front office was scared of letting percy sign up with the niners. Ballsy move for sure. Go Hawks!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Harvin is here to be a #1 WR. As others mentioned, you don't risk your top receiver by having him return punts and kickoffs. Especially when you have one of the league's best at that role on the team already. Washington is safe. However, Tate's spot may be in jeopardy. Possibly even Baldwin.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
He is a playmaker. You put the ball in his hands any and every way possible as often as you can.

If he is too fragile to handle it you don't pay him mega bucks and give up a first rounder, IMO.

But we will see.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1v5zc4w2 said:
I hate to answer a question with a question as it drives me crazy when my wife does that to me.

Ask yourself this question.

Who on our team is tied for the NFL record on kick off/punt returns for touchdowns??

Now ask yourself this.

Why would anyone consider letting that guy go when he can also play a couple of other positions?

Can you now answer your own question?

:141847_bnono:

Thank you!

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3t2nfyei said:
Looks like that might actually be the case.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/stat ... 7568252929

Jason La CanforaVerified account
‏@JasonLaCanfora
As the Seahawks reconfigure cap and budget following today's blockbuster trade for Percy Harvin, they're shopping return man Leon Washington

Yep that sounds right, I think Leon and Obo are on their way out the door. Tate and Baldwin are more valuable.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":156ru5sb said:
Harvin is here to be a #1 WR. As others mentioned, you don't risk your top receiver by having him return punts and kickoffs. Especially when you have one of the league's best at that role on the team already. Washington is safe. However, Tate's spot may be in jeopardy. Possibly even Baldwin.

Looks like the Seahawks disagree with you.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Seahawks are shopping KR/RB Leon Washington.
We could see this coming after the acquisition of Percy Harvin, who is just as potent in the return game. Washington has a $2.875 million cap number, and that's too expensive for a No. 3 running back who may or may not be used on returns. Washington, 30, finished second in the NFL with his 29.0 YPR average on kickoffs in 2012. He might be able to fetch a late-round pick.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3739/leon-washington

--- When you pay a guy as much as you're going to pay Harvin, you squeeze every last drop of production you can get out of him.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
What are the odds that they put Golden Tate back there on punt returns if Leon gets traded or cut?

He was kind of scary back there as a rookie, but the staff seems to have coached him up. He plays within himself now.

Leon is fantastic as a special teams player, but I don't know if he's worth that much to our team, especially if the coaching staff thinks that Tate can give even 75% of the production that Leon Washington does now.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me to see a pick like Kerwynn Williams as a RB#3/KR/PR in place of Washington.

getnasty

Reaction score
Leon is a stud when it comes to the return game, with that said Percy Harvin is far better then Leon. I love Leon but i think he's as good as gone, i'm sure one of the 12 million reason a year we got Percy is the return game.

w00t

Reaction score
Leon was great on and off the field for us. I really hope we don't cut him but rather trade him to get something back. If we cut him there's a high % that he will end up in SF :/

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Any ability to have traded Leon has gone out the window. Everyone in the league will know that we are now hamstrung with his salary and there just won't be enough teams out there wanting to trade to get him. He will most likely be released and will end up on a pretty good team for 35 - 50% of this year's salary.

I really liked having Leon on the team.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
mikeak":1gjrl3ai said:
With Percy's history I simply don't see us using him as a return man

Doesn't mean Leon is gone / staying just don't see Percy factoring into that except for the money being spent

What history?

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":45im6o3t said:
Basis4day":45im6o3t said:
Tical21":45im6o3t said:
I don't know much about what Leon is owed this year, but it makes sense to keep him around. Harvin is currently the best return man in the game, but Minnesota didn't use him exclusively. They just put him back there when they needed a big return. I would optimally like to do the same thing here.

3/1/2011: Signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract. The deal contains $3.5 million guaranteed, including a $1.5 million signing bonus and Washington's first-year base salary. Another $3.5 million is available through incentives. 2013: $1.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2014: $2.5 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

This makes me believe he is gone following the 2013 season.

Would be ideal in my eyes, throwing Harvin on every return isn't wise (see Devin Hester) but using him situationally is smart.