Does the Harvin trade force a Flynn trade?

Axx

Reaction score
well NO actually, we are still paying him his rookie Contract of 2.7 mil this year.
But the fact that we gave a first mid and 7th round pick makes you assume that next year we will give him a Zack Miller Contract.
I havnt been on this forum for to long but apparently a lot of people were crying with Miller got paid and now they're all apologetic. I'm sure the same thing is happening right now.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Axx":2akoyucn said:
well NO actually, we are still paying him his rookie Contract of 2.7 mil this year.
But the fact that we gave a first mid and 7th round pick makes you assume that next year we will give him a Zack Miller Contract.
I havnt been on this forum for to long but apparently a lot of people were crying with Miller got paid and now they're all apologetic. I'm sure the same thing is happening right now.
Actually this trade is contingent on a physical and a new contract. Harvin gets a new contract if he comes here

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It is a different situation at that position. We are loaded at QB. We needed a playmaker receiver which we now have.

However we don't know the situation cap wise for year 1. That is why I see Obo and perhaps others going.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If you let Flynn go you still owe him guaranteed money and you'll also have to sign a backup QB which means your savings will ultimately be somewhere between 500k-800k depending on who that backup is so it doesn't really force anything.

Offloading flynn is only worth while from the draft pick perspective.

So, if Flynn does get traded it is to re-load on traded draft picks than it is to unload his salary.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The first year of his new deal won't be an issue, these are almost always the most cap friendly years. The reason is because they get the entire signing bonus up front, so they can take a minimal contract. The bonus is stretched out over the length of the contract, so if he gets a $10 million bonus this year and signs a contract that pays him $500,000 this year then ups the annual salary annually until it totals his $50 million for 5 years (using the guesses at $10 million per year I've seen out there) It could easily look something like this...

Signing bonus $15 million

1st year - $500,000
2nd year - $8,000,000
3rd year - $8,500,000
4th year - $9,000,000
5th year - $9,000,000

Making his cap hits look like this:

1st year - $3,500,000
2nd year - $11,000,000
3rd year - $11,500,000
4th year - $12,000,000
5th year - $12,000,000

This assumes they aren't heavily back loading the deal. No matter what though, the first year will be substantially less than the years that follow. This gives us a full season of good cap value to evaluate the rest of the talent on the team and see where we may want to restructure or release anyone

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Releasing Obomanu saves $2.3 million in cap money this season.

Restructuring Miller's $3.2 million roster bonus into a signing bonus saves $2.13 million in cap money this season (turns his '14 and '15 cap hits to $8.1 and $7.1 million respectively)

I suspect both of these moves will occur within the next 10 days.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ays5bwi said:
The first year of his new deal won't be an issue, these are almost always the most cap friendly years. The reason is because they get the entire signing bonus up front, so they can take a minimal contract. The bonus is stretched out over the length of the contract, so if he gets a $10 million bonus this year and signs a contract that pays him $500,000 this year then ups the annual salary annually until it totals his $50 million for 5 years (using the guesses at $10 million per year I've seen out there) It could easily look something like this...

1st year - $500,000
2nd year - $8,000,000
3rd year - $8,500,000
4th year - $9,000,000
5th year - $9,000,000

1st year - $3,500,000
2nd year - $11,000,000
3rd year - $11,500,000
4th year - $12,000,000
5th year - $12,000,000

This assumes they aren't heavily back loading the deal. No matter what though, the first year will be substantially less than the years that follow. This gives us a full season of good cap value to evaluate the rest of the talent on the team and see where we may want to restructure or release anyone

I suspect you are right. They do like to front load. Back loading is like using a credit card at some point the bill is due. I was thinking the 1st year would be 10 at signing and 7 in salary

JKent82

Reaction score
Doesn't force it.

But moving Flynn, releasing or trading Leon, releasing Obo, and not having a first round pick, would likely easily cover the cost of Harvin. Someone do some math!

Okay I'll do some math (Well actually Davis Hsu and overthecap will do some math, and I'll do some copy pasting)

Trade Flynn- $3.25M
Leon- $2.125M (Not sure if it'd change via trade, this is if he's cut)
Obomanu- $2.3M
25th pick contract- $1.7M (Dont'a Hightower last year)

Total savings= $9.375M

Though depending on what we got for Flynn, that might change the cap amount. But better players!

Edit: And I'm late to the math party.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":69nkbr7d said:
kidhawk":69nkbr7d said:

1st year - $500,000
2nd year - $8,000,000
3rd year - $8,500,000
4th year - $9,000,000
5th year - $9,000,000

1st year - $3,500,000
2nd year - $11,000,000
3rd year - $11,500,000
4th year - $12,000,000
5th year - $12,000,000

I suspect you are right. They do like to front load. Back loading is like using a credit card at some point the bill is due. I was thinking the 1st year would be 10 at signing and 7 in salary

The signing bonus could easily be for 10 million, but his salary won't be that high at all. They generally always give low salary in the first year of these contracts, because these guys get that big bonus check, so they aren't needing such a huge salary in the first year of the deal.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
It doesn't force it, but it definitely makes a Flynn trade much more desirable. Cutting him doesn't save us any money. Trading him does. So you take whatever you can for him in a trade, IMO.

See, this is why people were wrong for saying that it wasn't a waste paying Flynn so much to be a backup. The money can be used for actual starters.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1th0n07r said:
See, this is why people were wrong for saying that it wasn't a waste paying Flynn so much to be a backup. The money can be used for actual starters.

We signed him in March 2012, before we had Wilson or the QB competition. We didn't pay him to be a backup. We paid him to be a QB and he ended up being the backup.

chris98251

Reaction score
SeaTown81":th1fyt9q said:
It doesn't force it, but it definitely makes a Flynn trade much more desirable. Cutting him doesn't save us any money. Trading him does. So you take whatever you can for him in a trade, IMO.

You can only have 22 starters on a football team, you also need depth, a guy like Harvin even with a less mobile Flynn can get you a lot of wins, add the rest of our offense and you have what many teams would still covet.

Getting rid of Washington, Flynn, Tate, Baldwin, Obomanu, to save money looks great just for the sake of subtraction of salaries, what happens when Harvin turns an ankle, Wilson has a concussion, or you use Harvin on Kickoffs and he takes a bunch of uneccesary hits and is out the last 4 games from abuse, now you need a return guy and a WR.