Kearly's 2013 offseason plan

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
pinksheets":11424hu1 said:
I know Danario's knees are questionable, but I still kind of doubt he signs away unrestricted free agency next year to make $3m per.

They could have had him for 1 year $2 million (that's the 2nd round RFA tender number) but they passed for the equivalent of a cheaper transition tag. If SD knew what they had on their hands they would not have placed this tender on him. The deal I proposed also contains $6 million guaranteed for a health risk player. And as said, poison pilling is an option on the table (that's how the Patriots got Welker), though I personally would not use it. I tried to construct a deal that I am reasonably sure San Diego's new GM would probably say no to. In fact, I think he'd say no to a much smaller deal than that. His actions indicate that he undervalues Alexander. He was not with the team last season when Alexander was breaking out.

I'm also fine with not getting Alexander. I'd just draft a little differently, maybe getting Mark Harrison in round 5 or round 6.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1r4ak45e said:
Great job, I really appreciate all of your contributiuons. I really like the concept that drafted DE's & DT's will have to come in and compete with the FA you are suggesting, winers start & losers backup.

I have to admit I have absolutely no understanding of how to evaluate players from small schools. You have 3 such players in your draft (Bryant, Taylor & Gardner). From the highlight tapes all 3 look like NFL players playing their games against a good high school team. These 3 players indeed stand out in these highlight tapes, but how can you tell their games will translate to the NFL? Maybe it's just a case of taking the best players from small schools that look great and crossing your fingers that the picks will work out? Are there any known online sources for small school "game" tapes, to provide more prospect evaluation tools?

If a player has obvious elite NFL tools, I tend to assume he wasn't just getting by from weaker competition. When you see a Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley St.) or a Jared Allen (Idaho St.) in a given draft from a tiny school, you shouldn't over-think things.

And as someone who actually played in DII, I can tell you those guys aren't high school level. Not even close. Much closer to Div 1 level than HS. That plus it seems a recent surge in small school players breaking into the NFL indicates the level has risen even more since I played.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I like it Kearly but regarding the Cleveland trade, since they just got rid of Cribbs, would offering Leon Washington as well as Flynn get us a better deal? They have the cap room to take a shot IMO. If we can move the ball with Wilson's new receiving weapons, field position becomes a luxury. Let Denard Robinson take over, pay for a capable FA 3rd down back (Woodhead from NE comes to mind), and save more cap.

I noticed you were nice with Clemons, but Irvin isn't a total bust, Abraham would be a better teacher, and Simon and Bryant from the draft seem to put the writing on the wall for him. Weighing his cap hit with someone like Abraham and the draft DE's, I don't think he makes it if the team feels he'll be on the PUP for a significant amount of time. This could make a better lure for Abraham possible, as well as incentive to perform well.

1 last thing if we bring in 2 WRs that I just can't see keeping on the sidelines, and a TE like Eiffert that would be awesome in a double set with Miller, leading to more 2 TE formations which I'd love, there's certain to be a shakeup among Rice, Tate, and Baldwin.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
kearly":24hx1vot said:
And as said, poison pilling is an option on the table (that's how the Patriots got Welker)

Actually, this is incorrect. I am on my phone right now, so I will post a link when I get a chance. Patriots considered using the poison pill, but after the reception the Hutch contract had, they worked out a trade with Miami instead. The compensation was just a bit above what his tender level was originally, if I recall correctly.

edit: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

olyfan63

Reaction score
Interesting the Patriots gave up that much, a 2nd and a 7th for Welker... he's been worth it, but he sat on the bench a lot before having one good season, and then parlayed that into a nice contract, $18 mil with $9 mil guaranteed.
Maybe it's the bit we've all discussed about how it takes a couple seasons for a WR to catch onto the NFL game, like what we've seen here with Tate. (Same comment about DE's)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2d668823 said:
I would love to get Desmond Bryant at 5/25, but to be honest, I have written him off since day one of the offseason, even after his arrest. Some team is going to give him at least 30-35M to come play for them, and it won't be our team.
Some sources with NFL ties have been saying he is perfect for the Hawks at 5-6 million per. Seeing as they gave Jason Jones that for a single year, I don't see why they wouldn't. Besides, we need to pay more attention to Kip's guaranteed number than the overall value of the deal. Follow the real money.