John Abraham on his way to visit Seahawks

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
McGruff":36jpt1c3 said:
SalishHawkFan":36jpt1c3 said:
McGruff":36jpt1c3 said:
Just stop it. LEO does not stand up. Or does so rarely.
Bull. LEO doesn't have to stand up, but it's a hallmark of the position since Carroll coined the term LEO.

A review of Clemons' snaps over the last three years proves otherwise. Clemons is in the up position maybe 10-20% of the time.
And I'm to believe that you just went over watched tape of every down for the last three years and counted. Riiiight.

Tell me, what percentage of each down was Clemons standing? You got to the other numbers so fast, surely you have that stat right at your fingertips.

King Dog

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1x69xvg6 said:
He will get way more playing time for Seattle than SF, after the way Brandon Jacobs and Randy Moss got treate, and how much of a d-bag that Harbaugh is I don't think they are that desierable. Plus we crushed them and a younger and only getting better, they are starting their decline now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but SF is going to be annoyingly elite and a thorn in our sides for years to come.

warden

Reaction score
King Dog":1dl8svoe said:
Wenhawk":1dl8svoe said:
He will get way more playing time for Seattle than SF, after the way Brandon Jacobs and Randy Moss got treate, and how much of a d-bag that Harbaugh is I don't think they are that desierable. Plus we crushed them and a younger and only getting better, they are starting their decline now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but SF is going to be annoyingly elite and a thorn in our sides for years to come.

That is good news. I look forward to the rivalry. I look forward to the competition. I look forward to hating the 49ers. I do not want to win our division because every team in the division sucks, nope I want to win our division because we beat elite teams to earn that honer.

You can not be the best if you can't beat the best

DJrmb

Reaction score
Lady Talon":6bqgbs4f said:
This is the offseason, you can bring in multiple D linemen to challenge each other. since our DE depth was exposed last year, as well as 3 tech DT futility after J Jones was injured, I'm all for a FA DT signing like D. Bryant (or maybe a player like Vance Walker whose a run stuffer and gets penetration) and bringing in a high pick DT and 2-3 more draft picks of DE's along with Abraham. I don't expect all of them to be on the roster. But it will protect against a Clemons cut (not out of the question) and foster competition for the best DL we can build.

This is the off-season but there is still a salary cap and guaranteed portions in contracts. You can bring in multiple guys to take a look at but you have to be careful. You're playing with fire doing that with FA's unless you are getting them on vet minimum deals with no guarantee's or signing bonuses (which is no one that's been mentioned here so far). One of the biggest focuses of this off-season will be rolling over as much money as possible so we can be ready for the big contracts coming up.

People seem to be failing to realize we're actually in a little worst shape then it seems with our cap. We actually have the highest paid Offense in the league next year!
http://www.overthecap.com/offensebreakdown.php?Year=2013

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
King Dog":1uprkczc said:
Wenhawk":1uprkczc said:

Yeah, I fail to see this 'decline' a few people are wishfully mentioning. The 9ers have plenty of good seasons ahead of them and a great coaching staff. They also dominated against GB and the Pat's...teams we barely scraped out a win against AT HOME. That's before even mentioning our losses to weak teams on the road. Great teams dominate mediocre teams like Detroit and GB, as SF did. Oh, and let's not forget about the almighty Dolphins.

This team needs to prove that they can consistently win road games. If they can't figure that out, they'll be second or third fiddle in a strengthened NFC West.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DJrmb":1lv2591o said:
Lady Talon":1lv2591o said:
This is the offseason, you can bring in multiple D linemen to challenge each other. since our DE depth was exposed last year, as well as 3 tech DT futility after J Jones was injured, I'm all for a FA DT signing like D. Bryant (or maybe a player like Vance Walker whose a run stuffer and gets penetration) and bringing in a high pick DT and 2-3 more draft picks of DE's along with Abraham. I don't expect all of them to be on the roster. But it will protect against a Clemons cut (not out of the question) and foster competition for the best DL we can build.

This is the off-season but there is still a salary cap and guaranteed portions in contracts. You can bring in multiple guys to take a look at but you have to be careful. You're playing with fire doing that with FA's unless you are getting them on vet minimum deals with no guarantee's or signing bonuses (which is no one that's been mentioned here so far). One of the biggest focuses of this off-season will be rolling over as much money as possible so we can be ready for the big contracts coming up.

People seem to be failing to realize we're actually in a little worst shape then it seems with our cap. We actually have the highest paid Offense in the league next year!
http://www.overthecap.com/offensebreakdown.php?Year=2013

If Branch and Jones sign elsewhere, and Clemons isn't recovering fast enough to justify PUP listing him for months and swallowing his salary and gets cut, there goes a large slice of money that was allocated to the DL.

In that situation, signing Bryant to a fair contract and Abraham to a lesser 1 year along with 1 first round rookie contract, and about 2 late round minimum contracts for competition wouldn't exactly bust the Seahawk's bank.

I wasn't playing addition and forgetting my subtraction.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I am concerned that, with Cullen Jenkins signing, Abraham's price has gone up since the FA pass-rushers' market is a bit thinner. I know that Jenkins plays on the interior, but still, it seems like the market tends to lump the pass-rushing market all together regardless of where the player lines up.

Getting Jason Jones back is a must, IMO, injury history be damned. He was effective at getting a significant push when he played, and his work alone got Bruce Irvin some early sacks on stunts.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Lady Talon":308qu2xi said:
If Branch and Jones sign elsewhere, and Clemons isn't recovering fast enough to justify PUP listing him for months and swallowing his salary and gets cut, there goes a large slice of money that was allocated to the DL.

In that situation, signing Bryant to a fair contract and Abraham to a lesser 1 year along with 1 first round rookie contract, and about 2 late round minimum contracts for competition wouldn't exactly bust the Seahawk's bank.

Well Branch and Jones currently aren't counting against the cap so there's no real saving there (though I know what you mean, we'll have to apply some money as we have to fill those positions with someone). As far as cutting Clemons, I don't think that's very likely. He still has guaranteed money on his contract so you would only save about 2.3M and that is only if he's healthy. If you cut him because he's hurt as you suggest then you have to give him an injury settlement which would likely eat up most if not all of what you would have saved...

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DJrmb":30daxc1a said:
Lady Talon":30daxc1a said:

Well Branch and Jones currently aren't counting against the cap so there's no real saving there (though I know what you mean, we'll have to apply some money as we have to fill those positions with someone). As far as cutting Clemons, I don't think that's very likely. He still has guaranteed money on his contract so you would only save about 2.3M and that is only if he's healthy. If you cut him because he's hurt as you suggest then you have to give him an injury settlement which would likely eat up most if not all of what you would have saved...

Chris Clemons was injured in the 2012 football year. He was placed on IR and paid his full salary for they year. From what I've read, injury settlements only apply to the current league year in which the injury actually takes place. Ergo, the Hawks are exempt from having to pay him an injury settlement if they release him in the 2013 football year.

If Clemons gets PUPed we have to wait 6 weeks until we can activate him to even practice. Or we can carry him on the roster until he's fit to be activated for a game, or we can IR him again. With either of those 3 options, we'd still have to pay his salary.

amill87

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":26fc7efk said:
Yeah, I fail to see this 'decline' a few people are wishfully mentioning. The 9ers have plenty of good seasons ahead of them and a great coaching staff. They also dominated against GB and the Pat's...teams we barely scraped out a win against AT HOME. That's before even mentioning our losses to weak teams on the road. Great teams dominate mediocre teams like Detroit and GB, as SF did. Oh, and let's not forget about the almighty Dolphins.

This team needs to prove that they can consistently win road games. If they can't figure that out, they'll be second or third fiddle in a strengthened NFC West.

Yeah because being blown out by the giants is pretty elite. Or not beating the Rams. Football is not that black and white. Will they decline from their stellar records the last two years? Probably, its hard to be that good in the nfl every year. Will they become a crap team? No way. It is unlikely they become a dynasty because all dynasties have something in common and thats a hof qb and most sports people without a san fran bias say kap isnt even the best qb in his division.

sutz

Reaction score
Don't we still have the rule of 51 in place, where only the top 51 players count against the cap until the cut downs in pre-season? Maybe that starts when FA officially begins?

Cap worries are real, of course, but our guys in the FO have proven to be good at working the system well. If Pete and John follow precedent they've set in place, we will see a mix of FA signings and draft picks thrown at the pass rush situation. I think Lady Talon has it about right. Sign some guys, draft some guys and let the best players win.

Sure, that prices us out of the "top talent" but that has been their modus operandi so far. I see no reason to do this any differently. Hell, they did it (admittedly on a smaller scale) at QB. If they approach "the most important position on the team" that way, why wouldn't they build the DL that way?

Largent80

Reaction score
Remember, we now have a new cap guy, we will see how all of this shakes out in the next few days/weeks.