Kearly's 2013 offseason plan

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2n1rk6y7 said:
Chawker":2n1rk6y7 said:
I like it kearly, but Hauschka won't be back next season at any price that includes $0.02. That dude struggled making 40 yard kicks. 1000% sure!

Really? In his 2 seasons with us, Hauschka is 12 of 13 from 40-49 yards. In fact, in 2 years, he's only missed 3 kicks that weren't from 50+.

I get that some people don't care for him, but don't start lying to support your position.

+1

Wait till the day when we do get a new kicker and he starts missing 30-40 yard kicks...

We are extremely lucky to have a kicker that is automatic under 50 yards.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Awesome post, the only thing I would say on the draft is the seahawks will not pick up a TE. They will take somebody on the defense or trade down to get more picks. I think Seahawks will pick positions where a rookie can come and make an immediate impact rather than a 2 or 3 year time to develop in the first few rounds. TE and WR positions usually require 1 to 2 years of experience to make an impact. Thats my thought.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I know Danario's knees are questionable, but I still kind of doubt he signs away unrestricted free agency next year to make $3m per.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Great job, I really appreciate all of your contributiuons. I really like the concept that drafted DE's & DT's will have to come in and compete with the FA you are suggesting, winers start & losers backup.

I have to admit I have absolutely no understanding of how to evaluate players from small schools. You have 3 such players in your draft (Bryant, Taylor & Gardner). From the highlight tapes all 3 look like NFL players playing their games against a good high school team. These 3 players indeed stand out in these highlight tapes, but how can you tell their games will translate to the NFL? Maybe it's just a case of taking the best players from small schools that look great and crossing your fingers that the picks will work out? Are there any known online sources for small school "game" tapes, to provide more prospect evaluation tools?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Really well researched Kearly. I have some video to watch, it's a big help. A wildcard is our Quinn our new D coordinator. I really don't know his thoughts. In the past we have been "build from the back forward" via PC s time in SF under Walsh.

I don't know if that will change , but the middle was weak against the run as well as pass rush. All the games we lost and big yardage running was up the gut and pretty simple 1-1 and traps. What are Quinn's thoughts? Will be see more FS, SS and corner blitzes like we used to see a few years ago ? We play very vanilla on the D line. Will we see changes in scheme ? Stunts? I see it clearer as the camps open.

I see the biggest need is DE and DT. I think Seymor is in the mix as a FE. I agree with your choices as our best bet.

I don't see the TE from Notre Dame available at 25. I have us with Reed.

I would not be surprised to see them try M Smith. He has great speed and covers well. He does need to work on his run stopping , he tackles too high and his footwork is. To great, he keeps his feet too close and gets knocked around. All can be fixed.

Vince Young. The issues are not talent. They are his head. I remember when we played against him in '11 I believe he was crying over his play. He seems to be an emotional wreck. If he has his head together and PC sees it I could see it happening. They like restoration projects.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2246iy63 said:
Chawker":2246iy63 said:
I like it kearly, but Hauschka won't be back next season at any price that includes $0.02. That dude struggled making 40 yard kicks. 1000% sure!

Really? In his 2 seasons with us, Hauschka is 12 of 13 from 40-49 yards. In fact, in 2 years, he's only missed 3 kicks that weren't from 50+.

I get that some people don't care for him, but don't start lying to support your position.
Thanks for the stat volsunghawk cuz when I 1st read Chawker's comment my thought was Haush was solid inside 50, but was challenged from 50+.

two dog

Reaction score
Wonderful read. Thanks for all the work. Free agency probably won't yield that
big of a full net but those are some really good ideas. Thanks also for the video.

Doggone, I'm not sure I wouldn't go ahead and select Swope in the first. If he
turns out to be the player I think he will be, I'd sure hate to miss him,
I would maybe look for Gavin Escobar in the second for our tight end pick.
If Escobar were not available, maybe Arthur Brown to fill the OLB spot.

Actually I like this draft overall and am especially happy with the John Simon
and Denard Robinson picks. Armonty Bryant seems to read plays well too,
doesn't he?

Anyway, thanks. I enjoyed that as much as anything I've read in a long time.

sallen35

Reaction score
Hey Kip. I love the work. Please feel free to check out my situational Hawk Mocks. They represent a lot of hours of film and stats study. I made it a couple of weeks ago and due to guys like You and Rob, I already feel as if its a bit out of date but I still think that it suggests some good scenarios and a good list of likely candidates for various rounds.

Its at my blog; http://www.addoverflow.blogspot.com

If you check it out, let me know what you thought.

~ Scott Allen

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Misfit74":1l6xlqex said:
Nice job. I like the logic and supporting arguments. While I think Swope may be too close to Golden Tate in the sense he runs a lot of drags, crossers, etc. to get in space, he's a nice player. Would be great in round 3 or perhaps a little higher. I'd rather a guy with size opposite Rice on the outside, but as you said: Danario could address that through FA. I'm going to learn about some of these other prospects for the first time, including Simon and Gooden. Gooden I'm already excited about. I'm not sure what's special that Simon brings, yet, but I'm going to look into it. Retaining Branch would be awesome. Good D-lines need quality rotational guys and we can't get enough pass-rushers and D-linemen in general. Good stuff. Love the read.
Believe it or not, Swope is faster, a great route runner, and has the ability to snag the ball away from his body ,and super competitive.
I'm starting to believe that he just may not even make it to #57, ya, he's that good.

Jville

Reaction score
The 2013 Seahawk offense has the potential to get off to the fastest start of the Pete Carroll era.

Vince Young can't help the Seahawks or anyone else IMO.

The only reason he is back on the market is because the money is gone, the debts are significant, he is clueless as to what to do after football and the lawyers are hoping for one more pay day to help mitigate the losses.

Any club that considers signing Vince Young, would be wise to hold off until after the final cuts so as to carry him as a non guaranteed week to week temp.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":11gvul35 said:
LudwigsDrummer":11gvul35 said:
Am I missing something? Who is our starting Will LB?

Malcolm Smith or a rookie that beats him out in training camp.
Thanks.
I am not yet sold on Malcom as our starting Will LB, but what do I know?

Not much.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dateline, March 12, 2013: In other news from Seahawks headquarters, GM John Schneider announced that the team has signed K. Early to a 3-year futures contract as a front office consultant. The team released a video of a special edition "Real Rob Report" with fullback Michael Robinson interviewing Mr. Early, discussing the team's draft board, this year's Nittany Lion prospects, and concluding with Robinson proclaiming, "Dude's got serious FO skills!".

Dateline, April 28, 2013: Seahawks GM John Schneider, interviewed by Q13 Fox, discussed the teams 2013 draft. Schneider and coach Pete Carroll were observed numerous times during the draft giving each other high five's, and at one point, apparently a leaping chest bump after the Seahawks picked up 2nd rounder Ryan Swope of Texas A&M. Schneider indicated that Coach Carroll's knee surgery is scheduled for Wednesday and that Carroll would lose only minimal coaching time. The Seahawks draft of Tyler Eifert, Ryan Swope, John Simon, Armonty Bryant, Zavier Gooden, Denard Robinson, Earl Wolff and Micah Hyde was widely panned by draft experts, with Mel Kiper declaring that the Seahawks had reached on several picks, and simply did not get good value out of the draft. With Cee Lo Green playing in the background, Carroll responded to the draft pundits criticism by saying, "well, of course, they're the experts, but we did what we felt we had to do to get our team to the next level, and we're very excited about this draft class."

Love the Eifert & Swope picks. Our QB becomes ever more DANGERRuss!! Eifert can flat go up and get the ball. A good match for Wilson. Also love the Swope pick. Like a faster Steve Largent or Wes Welker.

dunceface

Reaction score
great write up Kearly! like some others have said i dont think we do as much in FA but if we do actually bag the two FA D-line guys you pointed out we could still be in position to go after those offensive weapons in the early rounds
and i LOVE the prospect of Robinson being a Seahawk!!!

Jville

Reaction score
kearly":39jfyqio said:
Normally I do these in January, but I decided to wait for the eve of free agency this year to add a greater sense of plausibility. I should warn you that these tend to be on the optimistic extreme of realistic. Not everything I'm suggesting might actually be possible.

Goals:

#1: Diversify and improve the pass rush

#2: Add a clutch receiver that knows how to improvise, preferably someone that can play anywhere but shines the most in the slot (Doug Baldwin's spot).

#3: Solidify the weakside linebacker position

#4: Find a 3rd tight end or upgrade on Anthony McCoy for a deadly TE trio.

#5: Continue to churn talent in the secondary.

#6: Find a low cost read option capable backup quarterback to compete with Josh Portis

#7: Save money for future seasons and avoid massive long term contracts.

Free Agency:

Cap space: $18.5 million (estimated). Includes $12.5 million in rollover cash.

Reflecting on club remarks with regard to the Seahawk's cap ........

As I recall ....... the generally accepted guide line for maximum allowable dead cap write off is 10% of the league cap number. That would be $12.3 million thru the completion of 2013. Teams that exceed that maximum pay a heavy price >>> see Oakland Raiders at $17.5 million and rising.

If I understood John Idzik correctly before his departure to New York, the targeted rollover cash the Seahawks aim to carry over into the next year (as a cap cushion) is also 10% of league cap which would be $12.3 million.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":29c32gvz said:
Omiyale is an OT not DT. I know you know this, just acting as your editor pro bono.

The amount of time you must put into this stuff is uncanny, kearly.

Fixed. I will probably miss a thing or two during a 3100+ word proofread. Thanks for the heads up. And yes, it was very time consuming.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Largent80":1qhmqonv said:
How long does it take you to think up/type and assemble these?

I like reading and considering them.

The one I did last year was about 36 hours. This year I was more informed about the draft and free agency so it only took about 12.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":2ajlnr91 said:
Kearly, in Zavier Gooden I see the best athlete that the draft has to offer a WLB. I sometimes worry about his instincts, though. I'm not sure how confident I'd feel with him starting there but I guess we have Malcom Smith as a back up plan.

What are your thoughts on the roll of the Seahawks WLB? Gooden is excellent in coverage, and would be very good in the nickel, but I see him getting destroyed against the run. He's not very instinctive with his angles and has a hard time block shedding. Sure with the sub 4.5 40 you get speed, but you lose strength required to get to the runner.

I have the same concerns, but maybe he can be coached up. I don't think instincts are his problem, I think he fails to break down and execute. He knows where the ball is going, he just sometimes screws up when finishing a play.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":19jss765 said:
I would rather use Denard Robinson as our backup QB than Vince Young.

He's have to learn QB, RB, and WR all at the same time. I'd rather not go down that road. That plus he's not an NFL QB. He's the same height as Wilson without the special things that made Wilson overcome it. He's also inaccurate, etc, etc, etc. Not a QB.