Seahawks mock draft & mock season

cover-2

Reaction score
Mock Seahawks 2013 Season
Here is a mock Seahawks season, which includes free agency, the draft, a few storylines, and some miscellaneous stuff. I tried to put a couple of misses in the draft and regular season injuries to make it at least somewhat realistic.

Free agent signings: This year we don’t make a big splash in free agency, keeping in mind that in the next year or two we have to re-sign some of our own core players.

(DE) John Abraham 6-4 263 lbs., contract sign for 2 years $5 million guaranteed with production incentives. – Osi Umenyiora was just asking for too much money so we sign the next best option. Abraham is old, but he was fairly healthy and he led his team in sacks last year. Abraham will start at LEO until Chris Clemons returns to close to 100% healthy. Abraham is also a player that has a good arsenal of pass rush moves, so maybe he could help Bruce Irvin implement some of those moves.
(DT) Cullen Jenkins 6-2 305 lbs., contract sign for 2 year $5 million guaranteed with some incentives. – Jenkins is a bargain and brings more quickness and penetration into the backfield coming from the 3-technique than Alan Branch. Jenkins fills the void of the departure of Alan Branch; the Jags new head coach Gus Bradley made Branch a high priority free agent signing for his team.

Seahawks 2013 NFL Draft class
1st round - (DE) Tank Carradine 6-5 275 lbs. Florida St.: Carradine has some of the traits that the Seahawks like in their defensive players; long arms, high motor, relentless, and the game of football is important to him. I envision him taking over the role of Jason Jones, Carradine has the length build to hold up as a situational pass rushing DT. Carradine will also get reps at LDE.

2nd round – (WR) Ryan Swope 6-0 206 lbs. Texas A&M: He brings much needed speed to the WR core. Swope will provide Russell Wilson a quick target with his exceptional quickness.

3rd round - (TE) Vance McDonald 6-5 260 lbs. Rice: McDonald size, speed, and upside are just too enticing to pass up. McDonald enables Coach Carroll to use more two TE sets.

4th round [Seahawks trade two 5th round picks for a early 4th round pick] - (MLB) Kiko Alonso 6-4 246 lbs. Oregon: Alonso has enough speed to switch to weak side LB and he has the size that Coach Carroll wants on defense. He can be a run-and-hit OLB and his physical intimidating style of play fits with what the Seahawks defensive is all about. Alonso has had multiple off the field incidents, but he is worth the risk at this point of the draft.

4th round - (DE) Quanterus Smith 6-5 251 lbs. WKU: Smith has the length and speed for the LEO, but he is coming off an injury and may not be ready for the start of the season.

6th round - (KR/PR/CB) Greg Reid 5-8 185 lbs. Florida St.: Reid is a ball hawking CB as well as an outstanding kick/punt returner. He will compete to for the nickel CB and compete for reps as a kick returner.

7th round - (QB) Kevin Prince 6-2 230 lbs. UCLA: Prince has good size and he is a good athlete. He is injury prone and never lived up to his potential at UCLA.

7th round - (OT) Caylin Hauptmann 6-4 314 lbs. FIU: Hauptmann brings more depth for the offensive line.

7th round – (FB) Alex Singleton 6-1 260 lbs. Tulsa: Singleton is a big RB/FB that can back up Robinson as well as be the 3rd sting RB.

Mel Kipers opinion on the Seahawks draft: “I don’t know what the Seahawks are thinking with their first two picks. Jarvis Jones was still on the board in the 1st round and they pass on him to select a slower pass rusher who is coming off an injury. Then in the 2nd round they select a slot WR when Robert Woods and Terrance Williams were still on the board. I love Vance McDonald in the 3rd round! Mark my words Vance McDonald will be a Pro Bowl player his first year in the league. I like Kiko Alonso in the 4th, but they have a good MLB in Wagner, this pick does not make sense for the Seahawks”.
Kiper’s draft grade for Seahawks: D

2013 Season
Projected three major injuries (1 injury plagued player, 1 backup player, and 1 random starter): James Carpenter placed on IR 3rd week and is out for the year. Robert Turbin placed on IR week 6 and is out for the year. Kam Chancellor placed on IR week 10 and is out for the remainder of the year.

Seahawks 2013 regular season record: 13 wins, 3 losses

Surprise Players
(SS) Jeron Johnson – Johnson starts when Kam is lost for the year. Johnson picks up where Kam left off and that is making big hits. Johnson ends the year with 1 int., 4 sacks, and 3 forced fumbles.
(WR) Ryan Swope – Is a star in the pre-season and during the regular season coaches could not keep him off the field due to his production. Swope started a couple of games in place of Baldwin; he missed two games due to injury. Swoop outplayed Golden Tate and took his starting position by week 9.
(KR/PR) Greg Reid – Leon Washington loses his duties as kick/punt returner and is cut in the pre-season. Reid had 3 punt return TD’s and 1 kick return TD during the regular season.
(DE) Quanterus Smith – Smith takes over as the starter at LEO by week 9. Ends the regular season with 8 sacks and he consistently put pressure on the QB’s.
(CB) Walter Thurmond – Stayed healthy all year and had 4 int’s, with 11 passes broken up as the nickel CB.
(TE) Darren Fells – Fells in his first year of professional football became Wilson’s favorite red zone target.

Disappointing players
(WR) Golden Tate – He disappeared in multiple games and he lost his starting job to rookie Ryan Swope.
(TE) Vance McDonald – He struggled in the passing game, he dropped too many passes and he was slow to learn the playbook. McDonald spends most of the year on the inactive roster.
(DE/DT) Tank Carradine – Carradine started the season off slow mainly due to inexperience play the 3-technique. He came on late towards the end of the season by getting consistent penetration into the backfield and he got 4 sacks in the final 5 weeks of the regular season.
(DE) John Abraham – He got 4 sacks his first 6 games and the rest of the year he struggled to get pressure due to dealing with minor injuries.
(DE) Chris Clemmons – It took Clemmons until week 14 to get back onto the field. He had a few setbacks in his recovery from his injury.

Regular Season Storylines involving Seahawks players
• (OLB) Kiko Alonso – Kiko got multiple flags during the season for late hits and personnel fouls. By seasons end he was considered one of the “Dirtiest players in the NFL”. He drew comparisons to former 49ers/Broncos LB Bill Romanowski who during his time was an on the field madman.
• (TE) Darren Fells the former basketball player got double digit touchdowns with 10 TD’s. His reverse dunk over the goal post is voted by NFL fans as the best touchdown celebration in the league.
• Bengals QB Andy Dalton broke his leg in week 5 and was out for the year. The Bengals were undefeated up until this point of the season. Before week 6 the Seahawks trade Matt Flynn to the Bengals for 2014 3rd and 4th round draft picks. Flynn leads Bengals to finish the regular season with 12 wins and 4 losses. Seahawks rookie (QB) Kevin Prince played well in the pre-season and the coaching staff were impressed with his play in practice, which is why they were comfortable trading away Flynn.
• Backup FB/3rd string (RB) Alex Singleton had a touchdown run that was ranked #1 on ESPN plays of the day. Singleton had 48 yard TD run vs. 49ers, he ran over 49ers MLB Patrick Willis and CB Carlos Rogers on his way to the end zone. The play was reminicent of one of his runs back in college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVbmbzEBiEw
• Week 12 Darrelle Revis admits that Richard Sherman is the best shut down CB in the NFL.
• Sherman agrees with Revis!

2013 Regular Season Stats
Passing
Russell Wilson 3,800 yards passing / 43 TD / 6 INT

Rushing
Marshawn Lynch 1,355 yards rushing / 9 rushing TD
Russell Wilson 446 yards rushing / 5 rushing TD
Alex Singleton 310 yards rushing / 4 rushing TD
Robert Turbin 62 yards rushing / 0 rushing TD

Receiving
Sidney Rice 91 rec. / 14 receiving TD / 1,455 yards
Ryan Swope 62 rec. / 10 TD / 906 yards
Doug Baldwin 55 rec. / 5 TD / 622 yards
Zach Miller 46 rec. / 3 TD / 390 yards
Darren Fells 26 rec. / 10 TD / 303 yards
Golden Tate 28 rec. / 1 TD / 280 yards

Sacks
Quanterus Smith 8 sacks / 16 TFL
Cullen Jenkins 6 sacks / 17 TFL
Brandon Mebane 5 sacks / 16 TFL
Tank Carradine 5 sacks / 10 TFL
Kiko Alonso 5 sacks / 8 TFL
John Abraham 4 sacks / 5 TFL
Bruce Irvin 4 sacks / 2 TFL
Jeron Johnson 4 sacks / 5 TFL
Chris Clemmons 3 sacks / 3 TFL

Interceptions
Richard Sherman 11 INT / 26 PBU
Brandon Browner 6 INT / 18 PBU
Earl Thomas 6 INT / 14 PBU
Walter Thurmond 4 INT / 11 PBU
Bobby Wagner 4 INT / 6 PBU
Kiko Alonso 3 INT / 5 PBU

Seahawks Pro Bowl Players
(QB) Russell Wilson,(LT) Russell Okung, (OC) Max Unger, (WR) Sydney Rice, (CB) Richard Sherman, (CB) Brandon Browner, (FS) Earl Thomas, and (KR/PR) Greg Reid

Seahawks players voted to NFL All PRO Team
(LT) Russell Okung, (OC) Max Unger, (CB) Richard Sherman, and (FS) Earl Thomas

Playoffs
Seahawks had first round bye
Divisional playoff Saints at Seahawks: Seahawks win 31 – 6
NFC Championship 49ers at Seahawks: Seahawks win 20 – 9
Super Bowl Seahawks vs. Bengals: Seahawks win 28 – 9

NFL Season Awards
NFL Offensive MVP – (QB) Aaron Rogers, Packers
NFL Defensive MVP – (CB) Richard Sherman, Seahawks
Offensive Rookie of the Year – (RB) Christine Michael, Steelers
Defensive Rookie of the Year – (MLB) Kevin Minter, Giants
Comeback player of the year – (QB) Carson Palmer, Cardinals
Super Bowl MVP – (QB) Russell Wilson, Seahawks

College Football Awards
Heisman Trophy - (QB) Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
Thorpe Award – (CB) Keelin Smith, Florida St
Chuck Bednarik Award –(DE) Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
John Mackey Award – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
Doak Walker Award – TJ Yeldon, Alabama
Biletnikoff Award – Sammy Watkins, Clemson

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good stuff. Entertaining read. Only 4 sacks for Irvin? If thats the case you better add him to your dissapointing players list.

Also with 43 touchdowns and 6 interceptions how in the world is Russell Wilson not all pro?

Sac

Reaction score
I really liked how you made sure to include Mel Kiper being wrong. I love that about him.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3bey7gzl said:
JSeahawks":3bey7gzl said:
...........Also with 43 touchdowns and 6 interceptions how in the world is Russell Wilson not all pro?
:13:

Peyton Manning got All Pro. I didn't want to get carried away with giving Seahawks players all the awards. I also wanted to give (OLB) Kiko Alonso rookie of the year, but again I didn't want the Seahawks winning all the awards....Isn't winning the Super Bowl enough!

kearly

Reaction score
FYI: There are two all-pro QBs each year, 1st team and 2nd team.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Haha pretty entertaining stuff. I don't agree with a whole lot (cough Flynn cough), but you put in great detail and I applaud your efforts.

kearly

Reaction score
Forgot to say, decent offseason plan. Liked both FA signings and there were some picks I liked. Not sure Alonso is fast enough for us though, etc, etc, etc.

I don't think Tate is much of a candidate to disappoint. He's a lot like Max Unger a couple years ago- very good but also very under the radar. I could see him declining next year but because fans are just then finally noticing how good he is, they might actually be fooled into thinking he improved. So yeah, I don't see much potential for Tate to disappoint next year, especially considering where came from and his current trajectory.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What happened to Michael Robinson, you know the starting FB for the Seattle Seahawks? Was he conveniently left out? Not sure if Sidney Rice would get 91 receps. The Seahawks do a good job of spreading the ball around. In that case, it means he was getting the bulk of the passes. Overall, nice job.

two dog

Reaction score
That was lots of fun to read. Some inspired blue-skying. Much work, thanks.

I especially enjoyed Mel Kipers' draft grade.
Ryan Swope-YES !!

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1mdxtx91 said:
What happened to Michael Robinson, you know the starting FB for the Seattle Seahawks? Was he conveniently left out? Not sure if Sidney Rice would get 91 receps. The Seahawks do a good job of spreading the ball around. In that case, it means he was getting the bulk of the passes. Overall, nice job.

Robinson still started at FB just didn't put down his stats down because he only gets a dozen or so carries a year. Alex Singleton filled in at RB when Robert Turbin was placed on IR; Singleton was a RB at Tulsa but he projects as a FB in the NFL.