Vikings on the History Channel

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Vikings on the History Channel
Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm
  • First two episodes were really good. I see big things for this program.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Re: Vikings on the History Channel
Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am
  • There's been 2 already?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 am
  • I streamed the second one. I don't have cable tv so I think I got to watch it early
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am
  • Ah ok. Thought I missed one.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 pm
  • I concur. As a big honkey of Scandinavian descent, I'm really diggin this show...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm
  • I saw previews for it, I didn't know it started yet.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I saw previews for it, I didn't know it started yet.

Decapitation and numerous references to Valhalla in the first episode. It can only go up from there right?
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I saw previews for it, I didn't know it started yet.

Decapitation and numerous references to Valhalla in the first episode. It can only go up from there right?

Man... Honestly, I don't know how you top that!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:29 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:

Well if Game of Thrones has taught us anything, how you top decapitations/dragons/vikings/battles, you need to throw in some boobs. Perfect show then.

.....and a super cool wise cracking little person helps.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:31 pm
  • Fell asleep watching it last night. Looks really good though. I was just tired.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:00 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:

twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Well if Game of Thrones has taught us anything, how you top decapitations/dragons/vikings/battles, you need to throw in some boobs. Perfect show then.

.....and a super cool wise cracking little person helps.

Well they got that crazy Loki guy that makes the boats. He has potential...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 pm
  • I think the crazy guy was "Floki" unless I had wax in my ears. Loving history, vikings, etc, so this show seems great so far. Any of you ever watch Rome? Or Spartacus? The Tudors? They are probably not as "accurate" as a History Channel show, but good stuff if you like ancient times, violence, and copious amounts of T&A.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm
  • Katheryn Winnick... Never heard of her before, but i likes.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm
  • I saw part of episode 2 and from what I saw it looked kinda bad... and that's coming from a huge game of thrones fan. The part I saw was of a viking group basically going into a stronghold and just slaughtering a group of people who were just kneeling down, totally defenseless. I don't know if I can like a show where the protagonists just slaughter defenseless civilians. Kinda unappetizing, but did I just catch it a bad time? Should I give it another shot?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm
  • Except that "slaughter of innocent civilians" is a true story, as the very first viking raid outside of Northern Europe was the slaughter of monks in a monastery in England. This show is fictionalized but based around true events.

Regardless of the trigger, the Norse people started moving outwards from Scandinavia at the end of the 8th century, interacting with and making their mark upon other Europeans. The start of this movement defines the beginning of the Viking age.

The first recorded Viking raid occurred in the year 793, against the great monastery of Lindisfarne off the northeast coast of England. The grave marker from Lindisfarne shown to the left records that attack.

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (a contemporary history of the Anglo-Saxon people) for that year reads:

In this year dire portents appeared over Northumbria and sorely frightened the people. They consisted of immense whirlwinds and flashes of lightning, and fiery dragons were seen flying in the air. A great famine immediately followed these signs, and a little after that in the same year, on 8 June, the ravages of heathen men miserably destroyed God's church on Lindisfarne, with plunder and slaughter.

The attack sent shock waves throughout Europe: why had God allowed such a holy place to be defiled by pagans?

Monasteries were frequent targets of Norse raiders not because the raiders were particularly anti-Christian, but rather because that's where the money was. The tithes collected by the church concentrated the wealth in the monasteries during this period. The raiders recognized that fact and took advantage of it.

http://www.valhs.org/history/articles/society/text/raids.htm
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:19 am
  • Interesting MLOhawks

Watched last night... yea, the Vikings when they went on their raids weren't there to deliver milk and cookies.

I don't think Ragnar killed any of the monks, he actually saved the one that could speak their language. There's your protagonists JohnCarlson! :)
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am
  • CANHawk wrote:I concur. As a big honkey of Scandinavian descent, I'm really diggin this show...

Me too! In fact, my grandmother's genealogy work was able to track my fathers side back to a known Viking "berserker" who was rather famous for running into battles and villages screaming while wearing nothing except his weapon. Explains a lot about my son, actually.
    Love ya Les! You're in my thoughts every time I "Check my PM's"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:27 pm
  • RockHawk wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:I concur. As a big honkey of Scandinavian descent, I'm really diggin this show...

Me too! In fact, my grandmother's genealogy work was able to track my fathers side back to a known Viking "berserker" who was rather famous for running into battles and villages screaming while wearing nothing except his weapon. Explains a lot about my son, actually.

That's awesome.

Apparently my maternal grandfather (who was born and raised in Norway) used to claim quite emphatically that he was a descentant of Eric the Red. Absolutely no way to prove it, and it was quite possibly just some BS, but I like to think it's true. My paternal grandmother (who was born in Iceland) apparently claimed to be related to Leif Ericson, who was of course Eric's son (clever Vikings... "who's kid is this? Oh, that's Eric's son" lol).

...so I guess that means I'm crazy inbred like 100 generations removed. eeeew...

BTW, TRJC; they're VIKINGS! WTF did you think they were going to do? Well them Amway? Rape and pillage wasn't just a term.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:53 pm
  • There was a little tidbit on the History Channel about a real Viking that was called Skull Splitter. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out how he earned the name. Another was thought odd and laughed at because he wouldn't kill children. Like pirates there is a certain amount of romanticism involved. It was a brutal time for everyone.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information