I know it's spring training BUT.......

Trrrroy

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":3r80euhr said:
They end up breaking our hearts every year.

You're the exception. Mariners fans as a whole are eternally pessimistic. Our hearts are never broken since the only thing we expect is a bad team.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't understand how a sports town that bred Sonics fans and Seahawks fans also bred Mariners fans.....

Where did this blind naivete come from? Is it the fact that most Mariners fans, comparatively, are pretty young fans?

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually I think it's the other way around, Many Mariner fans are pretty senior, most probably remember the 69 Mets.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawk2k":l46xvceu said:
I don't understand how a sports town that bred Sonics fans and Seahawks fans also bred Mariners fans.....

Where did this blind naivete come from? Is it the fact that most Mariners fans, comparatively, are pretty young fans?

Out of curiosity what blind naivete do you speak of? Not only are the general core of Ms fans quite realistic (and therefore pessimistic) about the squad but the fanbase has also produced one of the most bland, emotionless and nationally popular sports blog in alkl of the league that educates its fans and celebrates the absolute specific details with which why our team isn't good.

To that point Mariners fans might be the most educated, and therefore hopeless fans of any team in any league.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I have not been following spring training but I hope to get up to Safeco to watch a few games this year, as always I remain optimistic of a winning season 82-80 maybe? :D

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Uncle Si":j87ik5mn said:
seahawk2k":j87ik5mn said:

Out of curiosity what blind naivete do you speak of? Not only are the general core of Ms fans quite realistic (and therefore pessimistic) about the squad but the fanbase has also produced one of the most bland, emotionless and nationally popular sports blog in alkl of the league that educates its fans and celebrates the absolute specific details with which why our team isn't good.

To that point Mariners fans might be the most educated, and therefore hopeless fans of any team in any league.

USS Mariner? Is that what your talking about?

pinksheets

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3uxsod1h said:
Uncle Si":3uxsod1h said:
seahawk2k":3uxsod1h said:

Probably Prospect Insider.

Yeah, I don't get calling Mariners fans naive. I mean, it's gotten to the point now where you can't even talk baseball with a lot of people in Seattle, especially here. Everybody is on the "everything the M's do sucks" bandwagon before they even really look at the merit of any move or decision. The hatred is oh so fashionable.

Brahn

Reaction score
To all the negative Nancys out there, how many people thought we would win 116 games after losing Arod, Griffey, Randy. You need only look at playoff teams last year and few of them were picked to make it.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":30zepssb said:
Uncle Si":30zepssb said:
seahawk2k":30zepssb said:

Probably. But he should be talking about Lookout Landing--good stuff over there.

Largent80

Reaction score
In the 80's I used to make the long trek from Lake Stevens to the Dome for a meaningless wed. game

I guess I fit into that weird category of pleasure/pain.

I just wish they could win the prize. 2001 should have been that year but they blew it.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So I stopped following the Mariners last year because I can't stand the people running the club. I decided to take a look at a box score the other day because I saw they won a game 16-6. When did they re-sign Raul Ibanez?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pinksheets":d67ruhi2 said:
therealjohncarlson":d67ruhi2 said:
don't understand how a sports town that bred Sonics fans and Seahawks fans also bred Mariners fans.....

Probably Prospect Insider.

Yeah, I don't get calling Mariners fans naive. I mean, it's gotten to the point now where you can't even talk baseball with a lot of people in Seattle, especially here. Everybody is on the "everything the M's do sucks" bandwagon before they even really look at the merit of any move or decision. The hatred is oh so fashionable.
I kind of disagree, the hatred of those that run the franchise see Howard and Chuck has been MORE than earned. Statements like the "the M's will suck until the end of time!" I do however agree with your point.

Who knows maybe the M's will shock the world this year despite the two clowns that run this club, I think they will be a .500 club this year, next year, and the year after is when I expect them to take off as long as Chuck and Howard don't throw any monkey wrenches into the good ship Mariner. One thing that isn't debateable is the M's are loaded with almost ready major league talent!

pinksheets

Reaction score
Oh no, I hate Lincoln and Armstrong with every fiber of my being. I cannot wait for the day this team is sold to new ownership.

I just bemoan how baseball talk around here has devolved into hating on any trade or move the Mariners make simply because it was the Mariners that made it. Every thread about anything Mariners seems to come out 90% posts that are just generalized Mariners complaints.

I don't know what to expect this year, but I think spring training is showing that the M's made some decent moves this offseason. They may not be world beaters or have found a franchise superstar bat, but they've got some hitters, some of the young guys are doin' a little better, and those fences are moving in. Should be some fun baseball this year.

nategreat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3ctohzyl said:
So I stopped following the Mariners last year because I can't stand the people running the club. I decided to take a look at a box score the other day because I saw they won a game 16-6. When did they re-sign Raul Ibanez?

Oh man, you've got some serious catching up to do:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/new...ategory=news_features&month=03&year=2013&pg=1

You might want to start in December. That's when we signed Ibanez. You know we have Jason Bay, Michael Morse, and Kendrys Morales now too, right?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
"Bland, emotionless..."~ USSMariner. I do like Lookout Landing, very funny and the posters are allowed more freedom to post. Point being is the writers at USSMariner, which I like to read, base everything on the myriad statistics of baseball to assess the team. And even a Mariners team undefeated in Spring Training over 11 games still looks terrible according to the basic baseball statistics.

Anyways, id like to think we win 75 to 85 games. At the very least, I'd like to see our younger players progress. Last year was disappointing in the steps backward so many of our players took (importantly: Ackley, Smoak and Montero). If those three can start hitting again, Seager remains consistent and improves and players like Walker, Huxton and Franklin make it up than i'd be happy with 70+ wins.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Trrrroy":uk3upz1m said:
425HawkSpark":uk3upz1m said:
They end up breaking our hearts every year.

You're the exception. Mariners fans as a whole are eternally pessimistic. Our hearts are never broken since the only thing we expect is a bad team.
Don't get me wrong every year I think yeah this is the year our young guys produce. And this is the year that we can contend with teams like the Yankees, angels, Texas, ect... And every all-star break we are 8-18 GB and it only gets worse from there, you can hear every heart of mariners fans slowly shatter. Then the season ends and offseason comes around again. And hope comes back.
GO HAWKS.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":8shibwyk said:
Actually I think it's the other way around, Many Mariner fans are pretty senior, most probably remember the 69 Mets.
Amazing!!
Ron Swoboda, Cleon Jones, Jerry Koosman, Tom Seaver, Nancy Seaver in the stands......naw I don't remember them. :les: Just read about 'em.....yeah, that's it. :les:
Considering how good the division they're in is, 75 wins for the Ms would be a good year this season.

m0ng0

Reaction score
we have the Astro's in our division now....thats worth at least 8 more wins !

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Every one forgets the angels and rangers and even the A's will get 8-12 more wins against the Astros too.