John Abraham on his way to visit Seahawks

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think Greg Scruggs is getting over looked a little bit here.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DJrmb":2v8w2cnz said:

Not neccessarily, if the Hawks are after Datone Jones as a first round DT, he can play multiple Dline positions. Challenge Red Bryant, be part of a rotation for both ends as well as specialized tackle work. I'm not giving up on Scruggs.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Sign Abraham to a 1 year deal and let Irvin bulk up some more and learn from proven sack master, then sign a vet DT Seymore for 1 year and by the next season Scruggs and Howard will be ready to start. dRaft a few mid to late DE's and DT and let them compete for roster spots or stash on the practice squad until the old guys are gone then let them step up. Would a 1st round DT be more productive than Seymore or Bryant? I'd say not likely, would a 1st round LB be more productive than Malcome Smith, I'd bet $100 on it.

McGruff

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2nh7zfiu said:
How fast is Abraham? Is he an edge rusher or does he use technique? Is he better hand on the ground or does he fit the LEO mold of standing up, lined up a little wide?

Just stop it. LEO does not stand up. Or does so rarely.

mikeak

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1hv86zat said:
Sign Abraham to a 1 year deal and let Irvin bulk up some more and learn from proven sack master, then sign a vet DT Seymore for 1 year and by the next season Scruggs and Howard will be ready to start. dRaft a few mid to late DE's and DT and let them compete for roster spots or stash on the practice squad until the old guys are gone then let them step up. Would a 1st round DT be more productive than Seymore or Bryant? I'd say not likely, would a 1st round LB be more productive than Malcome Smith, I'd bet $100 on it.

Something along these lines is exactly what I was going to write but then I read it :)

Point being with a veteran like this you sign them to a 1 or 2 year deal and then you can draft in the middle of the pack hoping to find the gem and you also have Clemons coming back.

Do you MAYBE hope to get a star by the time playoff comes around - of course. BUT at least you start the season with a very good player and hope to improve vs starting with a rookie hoping to find out he isn't a bust.......

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
McGruff":3cortbt5 said:
SalishHawkFan":3cortbt5 said:
How fast is Abraham? Is he an edge rusher or does he use technique? Is he better hand on the ground or does he fit the LEO mold of standing up, lined up a little wide?

Bull. LEO doesn't have to stand up, but it's a hallmark of the position since Carroll coined the term LEO.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
i'd say sign abraham n pair him with or both seymour n jenkins and seattle will have no problem pushing the pocket n coming off the edge. all for a low 2 year want a ring deal

McGruff

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2i488a9q said:
McGruff":2i488a9q said:
SalishHawkFan":2i488a9q said:

Bull. LEO doesn't have to stand up, but it's a hallmark of the position since Carroll coined the term LEO.

A review of Clemons' snaps over the last three years proves otherwise. Clemons is in the up position maybe 10-20% of the time.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Lady Talon":3oouofev said:
DJrmb":3oouofev said:

Not neccessarily, if the Hawks are after Datone Jones as a first round DT, he can play multiple Dline positions. Challenge Red Bryant, be part of a rotation for both ends as well as specialized tackle work. I'm not giving up on Scruggs.
I'm more talking to those that are saying to bring in 3 or 4 D-lineman. I think 2 is the magic number. 1 DT for 3-tech and 1 DE for depth and filling in while Clems out. If you can get a guy or two like Datone Jones that can play multiple positions all the better. I like Greg Scruggs to get more playing time this coming year, he looked pretty good at times last year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
McGruff":2eqau6v9 said:
SalishHawkFan":2eqau6v9 said:

The whole point of the Leo is that he can do both. At USC we used 2 linebackers (Cushing and then Matthews the following year) in that role. Sometimes they'd put their hand in the dirt and sometimes not.

sutz

Reaction score
DJrmb":1izkyz7c said:
Lady Talon":1izkyz7c said:
DJrmb":1izkyz7c said:

I'm more talking to those that are saying to bring in 3 or 4 D-lineman. I think 2 is the magic number. 1 DT for 3-tech and 1 DE for depth and filling in while Clems out. If you can get a guy or two like Datone Jones that can play multiple positions all the better. I like Greg Scruggs to get more playing time this coming year, he looked pretty good at times last year.
I think we fans in general tend to discount players already on the roster, partly because they were drafted lower or are otherwise not high profile guys.

I also want to see Scruggs get more chances to prove himself.

But I have no problem with adding a FA or two and drafting. The Pete/John mold seems to be to throw a lot of bodies at a problem area and let them fight it out. Just might see that this year with DL/pass rush.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":36p8q585 said:
I think we fans in general tend to discount players already on the roster, partly because they were drafted lower or are otherwise not high profile guys.

I also want to see Scruggs get more chances to prove himself.

We discount players already on the roster if they deserve to be discounted. There's a reason John and Pete are flying in free agents, because they know what we know, there's NO ONE on the current roster than can fill Clemons position. Scruggs is a 7th round draft pick, he's nowhere near ready to start.......and I don't think he'll ever be more than a one or two series a game sub.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DJrmb":2l5tznlw said:
Lady Talon":2l5tznlw said:
DJrmb":2l5tznlw said:

This is the offseason, you can bring in multiple D linemen to challenge each other. since our DE depth was exposed last year, as well as 3 tech DT futility after J Jones was injured, I'm all for a FA DT signing like D. Bryant (or maybe a player like Vance Walker whose a run stuffer and gets penetration) and bringing in a high pick DT and 2-3 more draft picks of DE's along with Abraham. I don't expect all of them to be on the roster. But it will protect against a Clemons cut (not out of the question) and foster competition for the best DL we can build.

djb28

Reaction score
I dont care what it costs. Its not my money.

Just get someone who can make the other QB fall down and go boom!

Subzero717

Reaction score
sc85sis":27epa4qc said:
McGruff":27epa4qc said:
SalishHawkFan":27epa4qc said:

The whole point of the Leo is that he can do both. At USC we used 2 linebackers (Cushing and then Matthews the following year) in that role. Sometimes they'd put their hand in the dirt and sometimes not.

That's a fact however, we have yet to do it here, so......

scutterhawk

Reaction score
djb28":xznfwidj said:
I dont care what it costs. Its not my money.

Just get someone who can make the other QB fall down and go boom!
Or like that great Coach Robin Williams said, "Go out and attack all the O's on the field" :16:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Abraham won't sign with us unless the Niners and other teams in a warmer, dryer climates than ours severely undercut his value. Bold prediction: He'll be a Niner when it's all said and done.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He will get way more playing time for Seattle than SF, after the way Brandon Jacobs and Randy Moss got treate, and how much of a d-bag that Harbaugh is I don't think they are that desierable. Plus we crushed them and a younger and only getting better, they are starting their decline now.

McGruff

Reaction score
Plus, Abraham has to decide this late in his career if he's ready and to not Bly change defensive schemes, but defensive positions.

In SF he'd play OLB.