John Abraham on his way to visit Seahawks

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Just for the sake of balance... he is 35 and was just released by another contender. It's not like Atlanta are a rebuilding team making room.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3auywcvu said:
Just for the sake of balance... he is 35 and was just released by another contender. It's not like Atlanta are a rebuilding team making room.

He is by no means ideal. But then, who is? We gotta put something together, here, for a pass rush. I anticipate the pile approach.

Largent80

Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. Last year I was harping to get him, and all here were "he is too old". Now 10 sacks and a year later he isn't.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Largent80":2beuln6d said:
What a difference a year makes. Last year I was harping to get him, and all here were "he is too old". Now 10 sacks and a year later he isn't.

I think that last loss at ATL where the DL could not generate any kind of pass rush is still fresh in our minds. The last thing that happened always seems to be the most important, I suppose.

Combine that with Chris Clemons almost certainly starting the season on PUP, and circumstances have changed enough that people identify the D-Line as a big enough need to go with an older vet on a one year contract.

It hurts to think about how with a guy like Raheem Brock coming off the bench, SEA probably wins that game in ATL.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
McGruff":24mt6qoj said:
Abraham will probably come cheaper and shorter than Osi or Freeney.

I've thrown this out there before ... but something to keep in mind in terms of Osi Umenyiora -- he makes his offseason home in Atlanta. That's home for him. So, if the Falcons want him, it's highly likely that's where he ends up. It's an important factor to consider when trying to figure out where all these DE Free Agent dominoes will fall.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly my point. He's still very solid, and can be had for a heck of a lot less than some other guys like Dumervil. I get the impression that some people think he's past his prime or just some old dude band-aid type of guy. Not the case at all when you put up 10 sacks and 6 Forced Fumbles. Shoot, we could get Him AND Osi or him and Woodson for likely less than it would cost to get a guy like Dumervil.

Hawks46

Reaction score
As to the "he was just let go by a contender", he was getting paid at least 4.5 million this next year (or that was his cap hit or bonus. hell, I read 4.5 mil somewhere) but Atlanta is barely under the cap. They want to resign Brent Grimes and their safety that is pretty decent (don't remember his name) so they need cap space to work with.

Pretty sure it was money and not as much production, although he was fighting an ankle issue late in the year. Still, 10 sacks and 6 FF's while having 2-3 down games with an injury isn't anything to sneeze at.

sutz

Reaction score
Hey, nothing is signed yet. Worth a look for sure. Bring him in and check him out. If he's a fit, negotiate.

:229031_shrug:

polarbill1999

Reaction score
A guy on softies show today said he liked Abraham because he was better against the run than Freeney or Osi. If we can get a LEO that is adequate against the run and can provide the potential for 10+ sacks I am all for bringing him in for a year or two on an incentive laden contract. Can we let Branch and Jones walk and pick up Seymour and Abraham?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
How fast is Abraham? Is he an edge rusher or does he use technique? Is he better hand on the ground or does he fit the LEO mold of standing up, lined up a little wide?

Subzero717

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind this singing. He gives relief and could see geting cut prior to season with no repercussion if it isn't meant to be.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just something to keep in mind for some who might be a bit uncomfortable with the idea of bringing in a 35 year old DE ...

Bruce Smith (6'4" 262 Pounds) ...
1998 (Age 35) -- 10.0 Sacks
1999 (Age 36) -- 7.0 Sacks
2000 (Age 37) -- 10.0 Sacks

Reggie White (6'5" 291 Pounds) ...
1995 (Age 34) -- 12.0 Sacks
1996 (Age 36) -- 8.5 Sacks
1997 (Age 37) -- 11.0 Sacks
1998 (Age 38) -- 16.0 Sacks

Chris Doleman (6'5" 289 Pounds) ...
1996 (Age 35) -- 11.0 Sacks
1997 (Age 36) -- 12.0 Sacks
1998 (Age 37) -- 15.0 Sacks
1999 (Age 38) -- 8.0 Sacks

John Abraham (6'4" 256 Pounds) ... had 10.0 Sacks last season at Age 34. Outside of that ankle injury last season, he's been relatively healthy throughout his career. He's never struggled with injuries, keeps himself in great shape, and hasn't really shown any signs of slowing down. If we're talking about a 1 year deal for $4-5 Million ... and the medical report looks good ... why the heck not?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Atlanta had him in a heavier rotation then the Hawks used with Clemons, so it would be wise for the Hawks to keep him in a rotation. He isn't the answer to missing the 3 down player in Clemons. Still have to draft some DE depth. He also had a 3 tech DT rotation that got satisfactory penetration at Atlanta. So, resigning Branch will probably not work in his favor. Signing Bryant along with Abraham, as well as drafting a worthy first round DT and hunting DEs in the later rounds would be quite an upgrade for the Hawks.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2i12nuxj said:
Atlanta had him in a heavier rotation then the Hawks used with Clemons, so it would be wise for the Hawks to keep him in a rotation. He isn't the answer to missing the 3 down player in Clemons. Still have to draft some DE depth. He also had a 3 tech DT rotation that got satisfactory penetration at Atlanta. So, resigning Branch will probably not work in his favor. Signing Bryant along with Abraham, as well as drafting a worthy first round DT and hunting DEs in the later rounds would be quite an upgrade for the Hawks.

I agree with that for the most part. Though I believe that Abraham/Umenyiora/Freeney could be part of the answer ... I don't know that I would say that any one of those guys is the full answer. So, absolutely I agree that a rotation would be best. Carroll and the coaching staff believe in that, so I certainly think that's exactly what we would see.

As far as the whole Branch debate is concerned, I 100% agree that signing Bryant changes the entire complexion of that Defensive Line. In fact, I'd rank getting a dominant 3 Tech as a greater priority than a DE actually.

If they are able to land Bryant, I'm not sure I would be looking to expend a 1st Rounder on another DT ... but I guess I'd be in favor with it if a DT is the BPA at #25. Drafting more DE's later on in the draft? Yes please. I've posted this before that I believe getting experience at the DT is a necessity. If you'll recall, Cortez Kennedy actually didn't do a whole ton in his rookie season. Neither do a lot of rookie DT's. Along with WR, that seems to be a position that requires some seasoning. Honestly, I think Pete believes the same thing. So, as I scan the entire FA Landscape ... I personally view Desmond Bryant as THE primary target in Free Agency. Just my .02.