EPL 2012-2013

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Spurs will test "no English team gives a crap about it" this week. They are in an interesting dilemma with the first leg against Inter on Thursday, then a crucial away league tie at Liverpool on Sunday. They are in 3rd, need to get points to keep their Champs league position. But also are now deep in the Euro League tourney and play a very strong Inter squad.

What Spurs do with their Thursday lineup will speak volumes to how they perceive the Euro tournament (Im not disagreeing with Glasgow either). Will they rest important players to be better prepared for the Liverpool game and trying to secure that crucial top 4 spot? Or will they put a strong squad out and try and grab a home lead in the first leg? or risk both....

anyways, I see their particular position rather daunting, considering, and will be interested to see what choices AVB makes.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":6117wb9n said:
Uncle Si":6117wb9n said:
Spurs will test "no English team gives a crap about it" this week. They are in an interesting dilemma with the first leg against Inter on Thursday, then a crucial away league tie at Liverpool on Sunday. They are in 3rd, need to get points to keep their Champs league position. But also are now deep in the Euro League tourney and play a very strong Inter squad.

What Spurs do with their Thursday lineup will speak volumes to how they perceive the Euro tournament (Im not disagreeing with Glasgow either). Will they rest important players to be better prepared for the Liverpool game and trying to secure that crucial top 4 spot? Or will they put a strong squad out and try and grab a home lead in the first leg? or risk both....

anyways, I see their particular position rather daunting, considering, and will be interested to see what choices AVB makes.

Yeah, it's a really perplexing situation, but I think ultimately, you have to rest players against inter. the money they'll get from a CL spot next year would far outweigh the money they might get for progressing to the next round of the Europa league. they'll be looking to solidify their position in 3rd more than anything. i think they'll field a weakened side against Inter, defend and hope to nick a cheeky goal on the break. Maybe hope for a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw, something like that, maybe even a 1-0 win. then they'll field their best XI against Liverpool on Sunday, and depending on their next league opponent, field a strong side in Inter in the return leg.

That's what I'd do, anyway

I agree, Peaches.

I'm going to assume that they have Champions League qualification as the primary goal for the season and at this stage they are well placed but still far from assured of achieving that objective. Therefore, I really hope that Bale, Vertonghen, Walker and Dembele are rested, lennon will probably need to start if Bale's out, and Loris will no doubt sit in favour of Friedel.

The objective on Thursday will surely be to keep Inter goalless, or to concede one tops.

While I find the group stages of the Europa League pretty dull, I like the final 32 onwards. I really hope we can beat Inter, even if it makes our run in more difficult. But, the league has to come first.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Inter are tied for 4th at the moment (with a pretty good Lazio, and with Fiorentina and Roma close behind) and may well rest players this Thursday too.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I suggest all in for Spurs on Thursday. Put the top lads in and let them rip. You must defend the Lane from those nasty Italians! They helped start the Big One for godsakes! They insulted the Queen! They insulted Kate! you must grit the bit and play it out.... maybe play a double header with Inter and Stoke.

We will see you Sunday!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bsqxrv6 said:
I suggest all in for Spurs on Thursday. Put the top lads in and let them rip. You must defend the Lane from those nasty Italians! They helped start the Big One for godsakes! They insulted the Queen! They insulted Kate! you must grit the bit and play it out.... maybe play a double header with Inter and Stoke.

We will see you Sunday!

Ha ha! Although I'm pretty sure that last time we played Inter they only actually had one actual, real, live Italian in their squad!

And yeah, I'd definitely rather have our players take their chances against Inter than our mates Shawcross, Palacios and Adam at Stoke. That also has the added attraction of not having to listen to Tony Pulis doing his best 'Steve Bruce whinge mixed with Alex Ferguson hypocrisy' impression in the post match interview.

I can't wait for Sunday. I'll be watching with mates in London, including the guy I go to Spurs matches with (City and Southampton coming up on our itinerary) in the aftermath of another mate's stag party before crawling back catch a coach back to dirty old Bristol. There will be couple of United fans there as well to boo Liverpool (yes they are British, no they are not from Manchester, of course). Should be a good 'un!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Apparently Inter have several of their first team defenders out injured. Maybe Spurs should play Bale...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3vpohugy said:
On the case...

well done sir

``There is a lot of rest time between a Thursday and a Sunday (when Spurs play Liverpool.''- AVB pre-match interview

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":mgpw7gv5 said:
Hawkspur":mgpw7gv5 said:
On the case...

``There is a lot of rest time between a Thursday and a Sunday (when Spurs play Liverpool.''- AVB pre-match interview

I like this quote. I see it as being both a refreshing change from the whingeing of Wenger et al about their players being tired and a soundbite to let the team know that they are expected to show up with some effort and energy for both games.

I'm pretty sure that he'll be resting players tonight when all is said and done, though.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Or maybe he really meant it. It's a full strength side minus Lloris tonight.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":30ukae3s said:
Or maybe he really meant it. It's a full strength side minus Lloris tonight.

Seems to be working.... AVB will be able to rest 2 by halftime, maybe all three by 60 at this rate.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'll revisit the discussion from a couple of weeks ago about the decline of the premier league to add that, based on tonight's match, the English league may well worry have reason to about being eclipsed by Spain or even Germany eventually, but they have very little to be concerned about Serie A. That Inter display tonight was as bad as any I've seen this season. Spurs could easily have scored at least a couple more. Inter had one good chance and that was it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good to see AVB take this tournament seriously. It has been a poor year for English teams with a lack of quality. However, next year the new Sky/BT deal kicks in and I expect most EPL teams to spend a small/big fortune. This might improve English teams performance in Europe. I expect Man City to do better in Europe next year once Mancini, who I do not rate gets sacked.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":23sh82je said:
Good to see AVB take this tournament seriously. It has been a poor year for English teams with a lack of quality. However, next year the new Sky/BT deal kicks in and I expect most EPL teams to spend a small/big fortune. This might improve English teams performance in Europe. I expect Man City to do better in Europe next year once Mancini, who I do not rate gets sacked.

Inter certainly didn't appear to be taking the tournament seriously. They did, however, double the number of Italians in the team from last time we played them, to a grand total of 2.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Had this conversation with some friends yesterday while watching the Chelsea match. Hawkspurs new reflection on the strength of the PL over other leagues mad me think of it again.

Who is the most disappointing newcomer to the PL this season? (Player who was not in the PL last year)

I said Eden Hazard.... there was alot of consternation and indignation... then realization that he really hadnt contributed much since earning some pens early in the season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2fjxuy68 said:
I agree about Hazard, Simon. Big disappointment for me. I'm gonna throw Giroud out there also. Lots of hype for him but he hasn't really produced for me.

(that ought to awaken the beast)

Agreed about Giroud, and one of my Arsenal friends said him initially. He has the most potential of the Arsenal transfers from the summer and has really brought the least, despite seemingly being involved far more than Carzola and Podolski....

Podolski seems to be tapering off as well, as I had predicted. Hes become very inconsistent again. Almost Steward Downing but with goals.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2bfw6flw said:
I'm really not trying to wind Gate up, but I recall all the fervor about Arsenal's signings last summer, and I said at the time they were gonna be much much worse without RVP carrying the load. Now, obviously losing a player of RVP's caliber will weaken any side, but the signings haven't produced nearly what they needed to.

Im not disagreeing... but we now sensy Gate can be.

Does Gylfi Siggurdson fall into this list?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm sure they expected much more out of Sigurddson, but he's been looking quite a bit better over the last few games. With him and Holtby, I think Dempsey is likely to play a reduced role next year if he's still around, which I doubt. Most disappointing has to be Giroud or Podolski. Between them they probably cost the club about as much as it would have cost to keep van Persie.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good first half... Spurs outplaying Liverpool right now tbf. Doesnt appear we have a central midfield at times. Both teams doing very well with possession.

Great team goal by Liverpool. love it when Coutinho is on the ball.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Taking back the fortress. Screamed so hard at the Stevie penalty I saw stars. All in all a god day :)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1vo38uhh said:
Hard lines, Hawkspur. Great match overall, SPurs definitely looked like they were going to run away with it after the interval, then the defensive error let Downing in and the match came alive again. Penalty was fair, I thought, and well-taken by Stevie. Yet again, defending on crosses and set pieces let us down at crucial times, but we scraped out a win. Things are going to get very interesting, Liverpool have a great wee run-in, with a home match against Chelsea in there. Could prove crucial.

penalty was fair... probably earned two others with the Coutinho foul and the clip on Sturridge (although he sold it rather theatrically).

the 4-4-2 let us down in the first half. Spurs better in possession and found gaps in the middle with ease. Second half was better defensively, but as peaches said, we were let down by defensive mishaps on set pieces. The pass back was interesting, at it wasnt the first time it happened. Spurs tried (and barely succeeded) with the same pass in the first half, from nearly the same spot.

Either way, well played and frenetic pace and energy from both teams. great match. Spurs will be fine in securing CL I think.