Justin Hunter to "mid 20s" team rumor

TheWebHead

Reaction score
WalterFootall.com spoke with some scouts, including one from a receiver-needy team picking in the back half of the top 32.

...Hunter hasn't received a lot of first-round buzz, but one team in the mid 20s said it would be ecstatic if he was on the board for its pick.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

There's no team in the middle of the 20s more than the Seahawks. Daniel Jeremiah has Hunter to the Hawks in his latest mock, stating "his stock appears to be on the rise" to reinforce the story above despite drops concerns.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Forgive me for taking this with a pinch of salt. Having said that he could go in that range and Green Bay makes a lot of sense if they lose Jennings (Driver already retired, Finley could be cut).

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":17c7mj4j said:
Forgive me for taking this with a pinch of salt. Having said that he could go in that range and Green Bay makes a lot of sense if they lose Jennings (Driver already retired, Finley could be cut).

So does Seattle.

McGruff

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":ivubgzn1 said:
Ugh... Isn't this dude always hurt?!

One injury in 2011 that took out most of his season. In 2010 and 2012 he played 12 and 13 games.

So no . . . One injury in three years.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I really like Hunter but I'm concerned about that knee injury, not only if it has fully healed but if the injury is affecting his play or if he'll be the same player he was before the injury. Prior to the injury he was perhaps the top rated WR slated to go in this draft but he wasn't as explosive last season. Great size and might be worth that pick if your scout team and medical staff think he could return to his freshman form.

McGruff

Reaction score
12th_Bob":2ohqnwbn said:
I really like Hunter but I'm concerned about that knee injury, not only if it has fully healed but if the injury is affecting his play or if he'll be the same player he was before the injury. Prior to the injury he was perhaps the top rated WR slated to go in this draft but he wasn't as explosive last season. Great size and might be worth that pick if your scout team and medical staff think he could return to his sophomore form.

I don't know, less than a year later he was practicing and playing and catching 70+ balls for a 1000+ yards and 9 TD's . . . sure, the knee has to clear, but all indications point to a young man doing what young men are really good at doing . . . healing fully.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Also, Vikings might be the team for him, they need some WR even if Ponder is going to remain the starter.

Meh, the numbers could be everything or they could mean nothing. It seems a lot of people were unsatisfied with his junior season, not with the production, but how amazing his freshman season was in comparison to his junior season (Albeit coming of injury). True, he came back from the injury and played and I would take into account UT has been a bit of a roller coaster the last three seasons. I wouldn't be upset with the pick as others might be.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1v694nez said:
Prototypical Pete Carroll wide receiver.

I wouldn't go that far. Pete likes them tall and fast, but I think he also likes size and a competitive streak. Hunter is sub-200lbs and doesn't play like it's on him.

Sidney Rice, Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are all much more competitive and sparky than Hunter is on tape. I won't say he's soft. Precious maybe. He also looks fragile and he's going to have to add weight to cope with the physical demands at the next level. There's also a lot of frustrating tape out there. The Alabama game was cringe inducing.

Speed, height and reach puts him on the radar, but I'll be very surprised if they see this guy is good enough to avoid drafting for the DL in round one. I think quite a few targets would have to leave the board for that to happen. And I think they'd sooner go after Ertz.

McGruff

Reaction score
Um, his freshman season he had 16 catches. Sure, 7 of those went for TD's . . . but he was deep depth with great promise. Promise that was derailed by injury early in his sophomore season when he was averaging 6 catches and a 100 yards through 3 games . . .

His junior season is really his only productive season due to the injury . . . but in a diversified offense to put up those kind of numbers a year removed from ACL surgery . . . pretty remarkable if you ask me.

But obviously, you can tell Hunter has become my guy, in the same way Austin and Hopkins have been adopted by others.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Is he the type that can add some muscle and weight and still maintain his speed? Seems reasonable to think the Hawks would be interested

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1aggvc3z said:
Is he the type that can add some muscle and weight and still maintain his speed? Seems reasonable to think the Hawks would be interested

It's hard to tell, but to me he looks naturally skinny and might struggle to add weight and keep it on. He was 185lbs during recruitment and only in the 190's now.

McGruff

Reaction score
Honestly? He looks like Sydney Rice to me. Rice was 200 lbs at his combine, 4 pounds more than Hunter. Hunter has a similar wirey, tightly wound frame. He'll always be lanky.

He's not Alex Bannister or Todd Pinkston skinny, but he's also never going to be Terrell Owens or David Boston either.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I really like Hunter and hope we can grab him, but I was hoping that would be in the 2nd round. I'm not sure his value is at a 1st round pick. That's just my opinion though. This draft is so deep at WR there is no reason to reach for a guy at all. Tennessee had a ton of Talent at WR the last couple of years and I like all of them lol!

1st rd. Patterson - best playmaker in the draft on the offensive side of the ball
2nd rd. Hunter - I agree with others, similar to Sidney Rice. Good athleticism and size. Lack of Physicality though makes him a 2nd rounder for me.
3rd/4th rd. Da'Rick Rogers - Another guy that was from that Tennessee WR corp. Got kicked off the team for Marijuana but has since seemed to mature. Very Physical and strong. Great knack for making contested catches. Reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin

cover-2

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":69jtxu18 said:
Recon_Hawk":69jtxu18 said:
Prototypical Pete Carroll wide receiver.

I wouldn't go that far. Pete likes them tall and fast, but I think he also likes size and a competitive streak.

I agree. Hunter seems to have a lackadaisical playing demeanor, similar to former Jaguars WR Matt Jones. I would rather us draft his former teammate Da'Rick Rogers, even though I have concerns about him as well.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm fairly "meh" on Hunter myself, although I could see the Seahawks liking him. I can't see Seattle passing on a premium pass rusher for a WR very easily though. WR isn't a need so much as it is a luxury pick.

FWIW, the Packers, Vikings, and Texans have all had WRs mocked to them in round 1 and pick in the mid 20s. The Colts have not, but adding another WR could make sense as Reggie Wayne turns 35 during the 2013 season.

Latest posts