If Vince Young were in this draft...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Would his career have turned out differently?

With the success of Wilson, Kaepernick and Griffin I think there's no doubt that Vince would be the number 1 overall selection in this draft (i'm basing this off his college play, pretending we dont know what happened in the NFL).

Seems like the NFL is more prepared now for a QB like him. Looking at the college version of Vince Young he was every bit as talented, athletic and electric as Robert Griffin 3. So, woudl Vince have succeeded in the 2013 NFL or were there to many insecurities and not enough maturity for him to succeed even now?

I heard that he is going to be at University of Texas' pro day to try and get himself back into the NFL. I have to admit, i'm extremely intrigued by the possibility of Pete and John bringing him in to compete.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2qorr01r said:
I just don't think he has the head for the game at this level. No question he is talented....but the mind matters.

You may very well be right but I can't help but wonder if his problems were that they tried to make him something that he wasnt which messed with his mind and his head.

Its sort of like golf. I used to play and was actually pretty good and decent. Then I took lessons and it completely messed with my head and i thought too much and now I suck at it and hate the game.

I just wonder what would have happened if he had a coach like Shanahan who put him into a "keep it simple and do what you do" offense like he did for Griffin.

godawg

Reaction score
What distinguishes the great quarterbacks is their quick intelligence. Russell and RGIII have incredible football minds. Vince Young is physically, but not mentally gifted.

kearly

Reaction score
I understand the point you are making, but no. Vince Young still went very high in the draft back in 2006, to a good coach and situation with Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. Fisher had rode the coattails of Steve McNair for years and was looking for another young mobile QB to lead his franchise. Vince Young had a ton of opportunity and he didn't make the best use of it that he could have. That offense was pretty simple too- they really fed off of Young's ability to make plays with his legs. And it's not like Young is over the hill. Why didn't Mike Shanahan try for Young as a free agent in 2011?

I think a better question might be if Akili Smith or Marquess Tuiasosopo had entered this draft how different things might have been. Thankfully, Marcus Mariota might actually be a high pick in a few years. Assuming he can get his weight up to decent levels, and learn to check through reads.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Akili needed to go somewhere and learn, like Kapp was able to do. He had all the skill but still needed to learn how to read D, and sitting for a year would have helped him a ton. What's funny is Tedford has said he told nfl teams that. To bad cincy didn't listen.

pehawk

Reaction score
Meh, I disagree 100% on Fisher being a good situation for Vince. In no way was that a good situation for either of them. Young is uber-talented, but requires a coach more new than old school. Also, Fisher did Young no favors by trying to retro fit Young's talent into their system. They never really curtailed things to what Young does best down there. Even with that, IIRC, Young went 30-17 as a starter there.

Did this guy really just bring up Akili? You didn't really do that, right? Please man, c'mon.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jeff and Norm Chow reportedly wanted Matt Leinart, who Norm obviously knew how best to utilize. His career might have turned out differently had he gone to Tennessee. Leinart and Whisenhunt were never going to be a good match as coach and QB. Of course, Matt also had maturity issues early on, but I think Jeff and Norm would have been able to handle him better.

As for Vince, yes he might do better as a rookie now, but he may not have the mental makeup for it. That reported Wonderlic score of 6 really jumps out.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This is the exact reason why I wouldn't mind bringing in Vince Young now

:242735: Ok, I'm ready for it!

hawkstalker

Reaction score
Let's see, yesterday Vince wanted to meet with Jeff Fisher to apologize for past actions? A little late my friend. Can't coach class or maturity. Time to move on. DQ always looking for good help.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
He would have been the #1 pick in this years draft. Now if the Chiefs were to adjust their offense to suit Vince's skill-set (like the Skins did with RG3), I think Vince would have had a much better career & not had as many mental issues.