Who will we sign in free agency?

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Yeah that's the word...but we'll see. Not sure why anyone would want to play in Miami in that empty stadium - other than hot chicks, sun, South Beach, etc.

Ok, that's why. :twisted:

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1692fv3h said:
Yeah that's the word...but we'll see. Not sure why anyone would want to play in Miami in that empty stadium - other than hot chicks, sun, South Beach, etc.

Ok, that's why. :twisted:

lol, Indeed.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I wouldnt want to pay the reported 6 mil/ yr Hartline is trying to get from the Dolphins right now.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Phil Loadholt | Right Tackle
Team: Minnesota Vikings
Age / DOB: (27) / 1/21/1986
Ht / Wt: 6'8' / 343

Mauler...Good at both run and pass pro...

Louis Vasquez | Guard
Team: San Diego Chargers
Age / DOB: (25) / 4/11/1987
Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 335

These two guys would make our Oline one of the best, if not thee best in the league.
This would make everyone else on the offense better, and help our young star QB stay healthy.
Fingers crossed!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I know that it's out of the question considering our budget and what the team is already spending on Zach Miller, but I would love to take a run at Dennis Pitta, who is a RFA right now. I do understand that we have options in the draft and that the TE position is excellent in the first three rounds, but I think Pitta would excel as another option for Russell Wilson.

I think that our O-Line is loaded, so to those who are talking about tackles and guards, I respectfully submit that those are luxury picks. If everyone stays away from Jake Long, he could be an upgrade if we shift him to RT and let Giacomini back him up, but I'm sure that someone will take a chance on him even with his injury history because he is excellent when healthy.

I like the DT talent quite a bit in the draft, so after hopefully re-signing Jason Jones, I would focus on DE. What will Michael Bennett cost? Probably too much, but he's a high-motor guy that I liked when he was in camp with us as a rookie. Still, I would love to see him signed.

I also would like to take a run at Reggie Bush, cost permitting. He would be a nice change-of-pace back that could, along with Turbin, spell Lynch, and we could split him wide as well (and of course, if Leon Washington ever goes down, he is a fantastic option as a PR/KR).

However, this is more my wish list. I imagine that Schneider will re-sign Branch and Jones and then he will sit tight and not do too much to bring higher-profile players in, though the team may scour Cameroon for six-foot-four soccer defenders that they'll convert to WLB. :)

dunceface

Reaction score
That is neither a smelly nor ugly diagnosis of our FA needs, and I would agree with you except for the Pitta part.

Well done, Smelly McUgly.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":r0gytkl4 said:
I know that it's out of the question considering our budget and what the team is already spending on Zach Miller, but I would love to take a run at Dennis Pitta, who is a RFA right now. I do understand that we have options in the draft and that the TE position is excellent in the first three rounds, but I think Pitta would excel as another option for Russell Wilson.

I think that our O-Line is loaded, so to those who are talking about tackles and guards, I respectfully submit that those are luxury picks. If everyone stays away from Jake Long, he could be an upgrade if we shift him to RT and let Giacomini back him up, but I'm sure that someone will take a chance on him even with his injury history because he is excellent when healthy.

I like the DT talent quite a bit in the draft, so after hopefully re-signing Jason Jones, I would focus on DE. What will Michael Bennett cost? Probably too much, but he's a high-motor guy that I liked when he was in camp with us as a rookie. Still, I would love to see him signed.

I also would like to take a run at Reggie Bush, cost permitting. He would be a nice change-of-pace back that could, along with Turbin, spell Lynch, and we could split him wide as well (and of course, if Leon Washington ever goes down, he is a fantastic option as a PR/KR).

However, this is more my wish list. I imagine that Schneider will re-sign Branch and Jones and then he will sit tight and not do too much to bring higher-profile players in, though the team may scour Cameroon for six-foot-four soccer defenders that they'll convert to WLB. :)

Nice first post... welcome!

I don't agree our O line is "loaded". There's room for improvement there, especially at guard. Our pass blocking needs to be upgraded big time, either by player or by design. Wilson had way too little time in the pocket a lot of times.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Thanks for the welcomes!

@Flying Greg, I really like our O-Line. I'm not sure about grades - I don't trust PFF, for example, but my impression was that SEA was a road-grading run-blocking team (and mucho credit for that should go to Zach Miller as well) but a mediocre pass-protection team.

The rankings on Football Outsiders, which I feel fairly comfortable using, bear that out: the OL was ranked third in run-blocking overall but 20th in pass-blocking overall according to their metrics.

However, I think that the line will improve as pass-blockers with additional coaching and experience. For example, J.R. Sweezy was a very, very good run-blocker at RG if memory serves me correctly, but he struggled in pass pro. Moffitt and Carpenter are young players as well that don't yet have the experience in pass pro to pick up some of the more exotic blitzing schemes that Seattle saw last year, particularly in-division from the Cardinals and Rams.

It is my contention that the pass-protection can be fixed mostly through more experience and Tom Cable's watchful eye helping to turn these guys into better pass blockers. I also believe that Carpenter is the best LG on the team if he can stay healthy. Again, this is to my unscientific eye, but he looked very good in all facets for the short time he played at LG.

I also very much love our depth on the line between McQuistan, Jeanpierre, and Moffitt. Even Omiyale played an admirable backup tackle last year.

However, I am always in the mood to upgrade! Someone mentioned Phil Loadholt earlier in the thread, but he was crucial to AP's excellent year last year, so he stands to make some very good money, and unfortunately, it will not be here. Again, I like Jake Long if we can get him cheap; he would be an immediate pass-pro improvement over the Big Russian. However, I think it's the interior line that needs to get better, and I would prefer to save the money and develop what we have, personally.

kearly

Reaction score
A Football Outsiders reference by his 3rd post. An auspicious start.

Good stuff.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DT Vance Walker is someone I'd consider if Bryants price rises. Got an increased rotational role this year, good against the run, got praise from Mike Smith for his work at collapsing pockets also. 3 sacks in 2012, also 1 in the postseason on RW.

Made under 2 million on a 1 year deal with the Falcons.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Outside of the box.. Donnie Avery.

Let me take a short cut around the "true #1" rhetoric.. we dont need one and the term has become worthless. Rice is good..Tate is good. Baldwin is good. Avery stretches the field, is cheap. Baldwin is a great slot guy, Rice is good overall guy, Tate is good.. this gives us something we dont have, something to truly stretch the field, doesnt break the bank and gives the offense an added dimension.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I doubt we make any big signings at all, even though there are a bunch of people I think could really help. I think they will roll over cap space and plan for all the coming big extensions