Athlon Sports Wide Receiver ranking

aawolf

Reaction score
Its no secret, but here is my list (I hope we get one of these guys in round 2):

1. Austin
2. Hopkins
3. Swope
4. Patton
5. Allen

McGruff

Reaction score
My two round list in order . . .

Patterson
Hunter
Allen
Hopkins
Rogers
Woods
Swope
Bailey
Austin

Domseahawks

Reaction score
Am i the only person who believes that Patterson is overated.. the tape i have watched makes me like tavon austin more and more, he's way more explosive, i'd say better hands, more nfl ready and also predicted to go a little later.

McGruff

Reaction score
Domseahawks":kjee839b said:
Am i the only person who believes that Patterson is overated.. the tape i have watched makes me like tavon austin more and more, he's way more explosive, i'd say better hands, more nfl ready and also predicted to go a little later.

I don't know that I'd say "way more explosive" Patterson is pretty darn shifty for a guy his size. There's a reason they played him out of the backfield.

No question Patterson is raw, but he's got all the tools to be an All-pro . . . Size, speed, moves, developing skills.

Patterson reminds me a bit of Koren Robinson but with better hands .. . And say what you will about Robinson's head, his skills were off the charts.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think there are 15 - 20 WR's that have the potential to make an immediate impact (depending on what team they are drafted by, etc.) Question is, who is going to prove to be those most productive players for their teams? At this point, I think the following 4 have the best chance of being those guys. (So, not saying that guys like Patterson, Allen, Hopkins, etc. are not potentially elite... just that I think the following are the safest picks to be major contributors.) All the early round WR "busts" over the years make me look at each year's WR crop in a different way. I'm just more looking for those who show elite skills that seem least likely to end up being a flop or riddled by injuries and therefore of no help no matter how talented they are.

1. Tavon Austin
2. Robert Woods
T3. Ryan Swope
T3. Markus Wheaton

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I meant to add that I could see Conner Vernon end up being a sneaky great draft pick. A player that might not be listed in anyone's "Top 5", but might be in the rear view mirror after next season. Seems like a QB's best friend on the field sort of player and could be a reception machine - a move the chains WR.

McGruff

Reaction score
McGruff":3lka3c2n said:
Domseahawks":3lka3c2n said:

I don't know that I'd say "way more explosive" Patterson is pretty darn shifty for a guy his size. There's a reason they played him out of the backfield.

No question Patterson is raw, but he's got all the tools to be an All-pro . . . Size, speed, moves, developing skills.

Patterson reminds me a bit of Koren Robinson but with better hands .. . And say what you will about Robinson's head, his skills were off the charts.

Also, Austin comes from a traditional spread with a ton of screens, bubbles nd flares designed to get him in space. Those lays tend to fare far less well in the NFL.

Patterson ran the whole NFL route tree and is far better pulling in contested throws. He just projects as a better NFL prospect IMO.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":1qr6oitu said:
Screw safe picks. Safe picks make average teams.
I don't mean "safe" as in mediocre. I mean "safe" in terms of elite guys that are least likely to end up "busts" like Charles Rogers, etc.
Wow... you jumped in to comment aggressively without even asking for clarification. I think all 4 that I listed will be electric. Tavon Austin a cut above the rest.

McGruff

Reaction score
I know what safe picks are . . . Tim Ruskell took and Superbowl team and made it into a cellar swelled on the back of safe picks.

With the possible exception of Woods, The guys you listed are all career #3 receivers at best. Even Woods strikes me as a really good complimentary piece. None of those guys has the upside of Patterson, Hunter, Rogers or even Hopkins and Allen. Sure, they are less likely to flame out, and that makes them safe. But low risk picks are often low reward also.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3b44z2n9 said:
McGruff":3b44z2n9 said:
Screw safe picks. Safe picks make average teams.
I don't mean "safe" as in mediocre. I mean "safe" in terms of elite guys that are least likely to end up "busts" like Charles Rogers, etc.
Wow... you jumped in to comment aggressively without even asking for clarification. I think all 4 that I listed will be electric. Tavon Austin a cut above the rest.
Further... I would disagree with your statement overall. You're just playing with words with your statement in an attempt to sound profound while in reality your statement is simplistically cliche. How many teams that blew it reaching for players wish they could go back and take "safer bet" players who have years in the NFL of making contributions to a "team" and adding to overall chemistry to put a team in a better position to win. Last time I checked... unless a team wins the Super Bowl, couldn't it be argued that all the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" teams be called "average"? My viewpoint on players isn't to merely draft guys that are going to help the team finish a respectable 2nd or on the cusp 3rd in the division. That's why I am one of the strongest advocates of taking the electric Tavon Austin. That would be a "championship" move in my humble opinion. That sort of move could be a difference maker in the division and get the WAY ABOVE AVERAGE Seahawks into a position of hosting playoff games. There you go, pal.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":2cfguco0 said:
I know what safe picks are . . . Tim Ruskell took and Superbowl team and made it into a cellar swelled on the back of safe picks.

With the possible exception of Woods, The guys you listed are all career #3 receivers at best. Even Woods strikes me as a really good complimentary piece. None of those guys has the upside of Patterson, Hunter, Rogers or even Hopkins and Allen. Sure, they are less likely to flame out, and that makes them safe. But low risk picks are often low reward also.
Incorrect.

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3a9xhjhm said:
McGruff":3a9xhjhm said:

Incorrect.

Impossible to prove or disprove incorrectness until after the fact. But thank you for your one words rebuttal.

If the players you listed were truly "low risk-high reward" they would be considered top 10 picks. They aren't. Why? Because they don't project as high quality NFL players. They either lack considerable upside (Wheaten, Swopes, Woods) or proven measurables (Austin) to warrant high selections.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":1dlixh6d said:
TeamoftheCentury":1dlixh6d said:
McGruff":1dlixh6d said:

Incorrect.

Impossible to prove or disprove incorrectness until after the fact. But thank you for your one words rebuttal.

If the players you listed were truly "low risk-high reward" they would be considered top 10 picks. They aren't. Why? Because they don't project as high quality NFL players. They either lack considerable upside (Wheaten, Swopes, Woods) or proven measurables (Austin) to warrant high selections.

Well, where to start. Now you are starting to come across as belligerent. So, is nothing I say going to defuse you? You're in competitive listening/reading mode? You're starting to inject drama into this and I don't come in here to get into it with Seahawks fans. I already get enough of that listening to haughty NYG, Pitt, SF, GBay, etc fans where I live. Rarely do I have the pleasure of conversing about the Seahawks with other Seahawks fans. That is why I'm in here. The one word rebuttal was meant to not get into it any further with you. But, you are are coming across as incessant (but, I could be wrong about you. Just chill out, man. It's only a forum and discussion. Why not focus on getting clarification for the intent of one's post rather than looking for a fight?) I've followed the NFL for nearly 40 years and been glued to the draft for almost that long (probably like several others on this board.) In terms of your latest accusation (about my OPINION that isn't any less valid as others)... I didn't list the 4 as "high draft choices". Go back and verify. I was merely adding my 2 cents to the conversation (and even went as far as to add the disclaimer that I certainly understand there are the guys everyone is talking about) and bringing a perspective of - regardless of round - the players I think (and it's really just anybody's guess, man)... are going to produce.

I stand by my words. I'm a little disappointed in your attack mode. How about a just moving on? You've voiced your disagreement with my post to the "nTH" degree. We are in disagreement. Agree to disagree, I guess.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fair enough. I apologize for going on the attack. As a Seahawk fan I feel very passionate and loathe what Ruskell did to the team by taking the safe route and filling the team with small, slow "instinctual" "lunch pail" players who didn't have the necessary raw skills to keep up physically with the rest of the league. So whenever I see people advocating for "safe" picks I get a little antsy. It has nothing to do with you and even the players advocated . . . Just wounded, I guess :)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":2dslxr3j said:
Fair enough. I apologize for going on the attack. As a Seahawk fan I feel very passionate and loathe what Ruskell did to the team by taking the safe route and filling the team with small, slow "instinctual" "lunch pail" players who didn't have the necessary raw skills to keep up physically with the rest of the league. So whenever I see people advocating for "safe" picks I get a little antsy. It has nothing to do with you and even the players advocated . . . Just wounded, I guess :)
Me, too. My apologies as well. I read back and I was being a bit too defensive. I'm in complete agreement about not wanting average players. I chose a poor word ("safe") that hit a nerve. I like that you're very logical and words mean something to you. I'm as much of a stickler about that as I can be (and makes me unpopular at times. I'm a precision guy.) Quite frankly, I'm in "fed up and P.O.ed with a major chip on my shoulder" mode about the Seahawks getting over the hump and TAKING not just one... but, several championships. The guy is in place at QB to get that done. Go Hawks!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Ruskell's "Safe, Lowest Floor approach" Top 5
1.Allen
2.Hopkins
3.Woods
4.Swope
5.Bailey

Scheider's "risky, Highest Ceiling approach" Top 5
1. Patterson
2. Allen
3. Hunter
4. Austin
5. Rogers

My top 5
1. Allen
2. Patterson
3. Hunter
4. Hopkins
5. Swope

McGruff

Reaction score
Interesting lists, wen . . . Allen appearing on both is particularly insightful . . . He is likely the one can't miss prospect at the position as far as combining low risk with high reward. I don't think his upside is as geat as the three Tennessee guys, but its pretty good.

Woods is the wild card for me. Smaller than I'd like, but people forget how electric he was prior to the injury.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
so, like all of our "opinions", those first 2 lists are your opinion, correct? (not from an official statement?), of what those guys would do? (based on what?) Sorry, I fail to see why that is insightful unless we're in the same room with those execs listing specific players. But, I'll bite. Enlighten me. I'm open to trying to understand the line of thinking there. At this point, I only see it as equal subjectivity not insightfulness.