Seahawks sign 6-7,280-pound TE who played hoops in Argentina

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":7gcgyppc said:
He's got 3 years to make an impression so other possibilities for this signing include: Fells as a 6-7 280 lbs TE/OT. Simply convert him to a DE if he's as quick and strong as he looks. Or simply hike the ball to RW who jumps onto Fells shoulders immediately increasing his height to roughly 10 feet at QB.
Kiper will point out he's still actually 9' 11 3/4".

McGruff

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":2c0bch7q said:
Gotta Love this team and FO.
Darren's signing is just another latest in the High risk=High rewards moves. He looks a big strong player who catches balls above the rim. This guy increases our height and toughness on offense immediately but will benefit from playing next to our pro-bowl TE Miller.
I drool at the thought of our two tight end sets featuring sure-handed Miller and the 6-7 athletic freak Fells.

By the way RW did play basketball in highschool. I can see many lobs from RW to Fells both on grass and hardwood :179422:
I think you mean low risk/high reward.

pehawk

Reaction score
Not sure why, but I dig this signing. I just do, even though I realize its a longshot and I know NOTHING of the dude. I dont even know his hoops game.

WTF? Its going to be a LONG offseason.

ivotuk

Reaction score
dunceface":7a8adrw3 said:
rainger":7a8adrw3 said:
Just another amazing example how PC/JS find talent that so many others dont because the others are locked into their dogma.

I bet he turns into a great TE.

In BBall he has to find seperation and have good hands.

This FO is amazing at finding the talent in the world that is going to make them great for years and years.

Don't forget about his clairvoyant powers...

I seeee........I see a big TE.........playing hoops......in Argentina....PETE GET THE HAWKWING READY!
84211 Seahawks Camp Football

More like "Plug your ears, this one's gonna be loud!"

ivotuk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3llzp4mv said:
Russ Willstrong":3llzp4mv said:
He's got 3 years to make an impression so other possibilities for this signing include: Fells as a 6-7 280 lbs TE/OT. Simply convert him to a DE if he's as quick and strong as he looks. Or simply hike the ball to RW who jumps onto Fells shoulders immediately increasing his height to roughly 10 feet at QB.
Kiper will point out he's still actually 9' 11 3/4".

Uh, you mean 9' 11" and 6/8...right? :p

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Well my hunch we plan on targeting a TE early could be effected by this. But I think this only provesthe fact they are wanting to upgrade our offense with some large targets. 6'3+ WR's 6'6+ TE's and give Wilson some more weapons.

dunceface

Reaction score
ivotuk":25j4b80e said:
dunceface":25j4b80e said:
rainger":25j4b80e said:
Just another amazing example how PC/JS find talent that so many others dont because the others are locked into their dogma.

I bet he turns into a great TE.

In BBall he has to find seperation and have good hands.

This FO is amazing at finding the talent in the world that is going to make them great for years and years.

Don't forget about his clairvoyant powers...

I seeee........I see a big TE.........playing hoops......in Argentina....PETE GET THE HAWKWING READY!
84211 Seahawks Camp Football

More like "Plug your ears, this one's gonna be loud!"

Fart joke? I approve.

Axx

Reaction score
he's another Brandon Browner.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Axx":32ewy0jv said:
he's another Brandon Browner.

hmm....

Browner CB---Fells TE
Browner CFL----Fells Basketball
Browner proven CFL-Fells only some football experience

but i know what you ment, and he could be another diamond in the rough.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Our best power forward since Collison. Maybe even Kemp

olyfan63

Reaction score
HagFaithful":3gf4ofwu said:
Konz 2.0?
Hey, lay off Konz already!! 2013 is going to be Jameson Konz year! Or at least maybe 2014. Bet you're the first to jump on his bandwagon when he becomes Bosworth 2.0. Well, Bosworth was actually pretty good for a few weeks here and there before his body totally failed him; NFC defensive player of the week after stripping a Bears RB and running it in for the score.

Anyway back to Fells... impressive athlete in the video from his hoops. Anthony McCoy, watch your back. Cameron Morrah, get healthy and improve your blocking, and/or learn to play Leo.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
You know, if Schneider is really looking for ex-hoopsters, I understand that Robert Swift is looking for a job ... ;)

g3202580000000000009690bbd2e9f9375f68c5776ce7fcd25cc56394a3.jpg

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
I'm sure Pete's got file cabinets full of notes on high school talent from his years at SC... and with SC they could just skim the cream off the top leaving a lot of that talent on the table, especially local talent, but it doesn't mean he wasn't personally aware of some kid out there that was raising eyebrows in high school... and PC's still not too far out from those days where some of those athletes are still viable options to take a look at and say "where are they now, I wonder what ever happened to that kid"... it's due diligence and it's smart, and it's outside the box... and it's what could win championships.

Of course that could be not at all what happened in this case, but it's a possible scenario I can see happening with this FO.

BattleOfSeattle

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3moj3ofq said:
No details on the monetary value of his contract yet but giving a guy 3-year contract without an official workout, exam AND for someone who has never played football beyond highschool? His contract may be small but he is nevertheless a project that could take away opportunities from proven FA out there. But you guys are right.. This risk is very calculated and not that high of a risk.

He was signed to a futures contract, which are automatically three-year deals. I believe they are league minimum salary without guaranteed money, but I could be wrong. You realize that there are some 90+ players who sign contracts with the team by training camp each year, before the roster is reduced to 53 with an 8-man practice squad?

Do you know that he wasn't given an official workout or exam? Were you at the VMAC? Antonio Gates didn't play football in college either. Jimmy Graham played for only one season. I'm glad John Schneider and Pete Carroll aren't that narrow-minded, or else we probably wouldn't have signed Brandon Browner or drafted Russell Wilson.

This is the epitome of a low-risk/high-reward signing that will not in any way "take away opportunities from proven FA".