Poutine?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Poutine?
Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am
  • http://skilletstreetfood.com/menu.php

This food truck (Skillet) occasionally parks across the street from my work, they'll be here again on the 7th.

Looking at their menu they have poutine, which I've seen from some of our Canadian members is a treasured national Canadian delicacy!

Should I give it a try?
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Re: Poutine?
Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 am
  • Its good stuff! Fries, gravy, cheese curd...it depends on how well it's prepared like anything, but otherwise how can you go wrong with those ingredients? I'd expect Skillet to serve up something good, though
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 am
  • Only live once, I say do it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am
  • It's delicious. It'll kill ya, but it's delicious. I like mine with as much chili garlic sauce as I can get.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am
  • I would suggest that and a jar of their Bacon Spread, think bacon jelly, stuff is rediculous....
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:It's delicious. It'll kill ya, but it's delicious. I like mine with as much chili garlic sauce as I can get.

whats chili garlic sauce like?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:It's delicious. It'll kill ya, but it's delicious. I like mine with as much chili garlic sauce as I can get.

This stuff?

BOMB.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am
  • Wow... I got some of that in my fridge, and had no idea what the hell it was.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Wow... I got some of that in my fridge, and had no idea what the hell it was.

It's delicious. I recommend it on poutine. And everything else.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Wow... I got some of that in my fridge, and had no idea what the hell it was.

I don't know how you guys can eat so much of that stuff. To me, a touch is good, but I can't eat it over and over. But some people go bonkers for it. Its impressive.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Wow... I got some of that in my fridge, and had no idea what the hell it was.

Yep yep. And Sriracha. So full of spicy deliciousness.

And never, ever forego the opportunity for poutine!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:56 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

I don't know how you guys can eat so much of that stuff. To me, a touch is good, but I can't eat it over and over. But some people go bonkers for it. Its impressive.

It's not even spicy enough for me anymore. It's probably my favorite flavor in existence.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:03 pm
  • Now this thread is no longer worthless:

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Only live once, I say do it.

You forgot the #yolo.

:roll:
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Poutine's a bucket of slop. That doesn't mean it's not good. Chicken, biscuits, and gravy = a bucket of slop, too.

Edit: In fact, they should make poutine with the garlic fries they serve at CenturyLink. I bet that'd be the bomb.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Next time you're in Portland check this place out http://potatochampion.tumblr.com/

Poutine's good (although I've had Canadians tell me that it's not but who gives a nut about Canadians?) but the PB&J fries (also with max chili garlic sauce) is BANANAS. Holy good.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:It's delicious. It'll kill ya, but it's delicious. I like mine with as much chili garlic sauce as I can get.

This stuff?

BOMB.

Truth. My wife calls it cock sauce. For realz.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 pm
  • I keep forgetting to buy and try a bottle of Sriracha. Will have to get one today after work, having breakfast for dinner and if it's good on eggs, it will be good on everything.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:

If you put your cock in that sauce I guarantee there will be no "cock-a-doodle doo"

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:57 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:

If you put your cock in that sauce I guarantee there will be no "cock-a-doodle doo"

I eat that garlic sauce on everything. Good stuff. I wouldn't dream of dipping my nethers in it though. I learned my lesson from cutting habeneros with no gloves and taking a piss right after that. Yeeeeeee-owwwwwww!
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am
  • Poutine is one of those foods I just gotta have every so often. Its the food of the gods. So I supposr Canafians are gods? I wouldnt go so far as calling it ambrosia because instead of imparting immortality upon eating it but more like shortening your life span. When ever my friends from from sf visit their first stop is to buy bags of cheese curds to take home and freeze so they can make there own poutines.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am
  • ShyCheetah wrote:Poutine is one of those foods I just gotta have every so often. Its the food of the gods. So I supposr Canafians are gods? I wouldnt go so far as calling it ambrosia because instead of imparting immortality upon eating it but more like shortening your life span. When ever my friends from from sf visit their first stop is to buy bags of cheese curds to take home and freeze so they can make there own poutines.

Shy

When I hit White Rock/Surrey, I always hit Moby Dicks for fish and poutine, and bring home some of your delicious Sour Cream & Bacon Ruffles. I wish I could find those in the states, they are absolute goodness. Where would you suggest going for poutine in that neck of the woods? Any good seafood places you suggest?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am
  • I'm not familliar with white rock but I havnt found a good poutine in Surrey, where I live. The best poutine I found near me is in New Westminster at Cockney Kings fish and chips. $5 and its meal sized. If u get take out ask to get the gravy n cheese "the stuff" in a cup so u can mix it before u eat it. It gets soggy and gross otherwise. My favorite is Fritz down town but its kinda expensive now. If one is truley feening White Spot has a fairly adequate poutine, fries are good but the gravy is not that great. My favorite burgers are there too so it makes the poutine passable. There are White Spots every where, its like Red Robins. Ill have to try Mobey Dicks, sounds promising. I'm not really into seafood but White Rock has tons of great places so I'm told.

Shy
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 pm
  • I'm enjoying my poutine right now.....

Wow, heaven. It was worth fighting the crowd around that truck and the wait.

Totally worth it.

Also how do you pronounce it? I thought it was 'poo - teen' but the guy at Skillet pronounced it 'poo - tin'?
    Last edited by twisted_steel2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Wow... I got some of that in my fridge, and had no idea what the hell it was.

Sorry, but since nobody else wants to ask, I need to.

How can you have food in your fridgd and not know what it is?

Did you buy the fridge fully stocked with random food? Does your neighbourhood suffer from very odd break ins? Are alien abductions getting weirder? Or did your partner buy it and you have not yet reached the stage of a relationship where you can talk about what's in the fridge?

Please, I would love to know.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm
  • cdallan wrote:

Did you buy the fridge fully stocked with random food? Does your neighbourhood suffer from very odd break ins? Are alien abductions getting weirder? Or did your partner buy it and you have not yet reached the stage of a relationship where you can talk about what's in the fridge?

Maybe he has roommates or family members that live there and use the fridge too?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 pm
  • I know, but that would be boring and not funny. I have my fingers crossed that it is something more exciting than that.

If that is the explanation, he needs to stop taking all the credit for the fridge by calling it "my fridge".
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Also how do you pronounce it? I thought it was 'poo - teen' but the guy at Skillet pronounced it 'poo - tin'?

Um, 'poo-tin' as in Vladimir Vladimirovich? I've always heard it pronounced 'poo-teen'.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:Also how do its ou pronounce it? I thought it was 'poo - teen' but the guy at Skillet pronounced it 'poo - tin'?

Um, 'poo-tin' as in Vladimir Vladimirovich? I've always heard it pryonounced 'poo-teen'.

"Puh-tin" or "poo-tin" (u have to sound french to say it so its something in between those two) is the french/eastern and I assume correct way to say it. In Vancouver we use the other I assume bastardized pronounsiation. Lol

Shy.
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm
  • "Poo-tin" is the supposedly legitimate pronunciation, but it sure sounds stupid.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm
  • ShyCheetah wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:Also how do its ou pronounce it? I thought it was 'poo - teen' but the guy at Skillet pronounced it 'poo - tin'?

Um, 'poo-tin' as in Vladimir Vladimirovich? I've always heard it pryonounced 'poo-teen'.

"Puh-tin" or "poo-tin" (u have to sound french to say it so its something in between those two) is the french/eastern and I assume correct way to say it. In Vancouver we use the other I assume bastardized pronounsiation. Lol

Shy.

Interestingly enough, I first discovered poutine in Montreal.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm
  • However you say it, it was delicious, and filling. Wanted to take a nap afterwards!

Thank you Canada.

My wife wants me to take her to the diner they have up on Capital Hill this weekend, hello burger with bacon jam!! :)
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:04 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    cdallan wrote:

Maybe he has roommates or family members that live there and use the fridge too?

Boom!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:50 am
  • I didn't even eat dinner last night, was full all the way to this morning. Stuff is filling!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 am
  • As the self appointed Prime Minister of Poutine, I approve of this thread.

BTW, Fritz's on Davie St. in Van FTW. Dunn's is always good too. :)
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Let's go to the club and try to pick up some poutine.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information