Can we please get Revis? Pretty please??

DJrmb

Reaction score
chris98251":16rgkkcl said:
No it doesn't, part of our success is the physicality that we bring and intimidation. Browner brings that in a lot of areas. Finesse has it's place but when a guy is looking around to protect his butt. The Boom Squad makes it's living on being hitters. Revis isn't physical, also who do we dump to take on his one and done contract, we will not sign him for 14 million a year.

WTF are you talking about? Revis is known for being a physical press coverage corner.

As for Revis fitting into the Bengals defensive scheme, he is a match made in heaven for defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. Zimmer loves his corners to be able to be physical, play man coverage and tackle well. Revis encapsulates all of those.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/1/2...-trading-for-darrelle-revis-makes-total-sense

After spending much of the afternoon playing physical press coverage at the line of scrimmage – constantly jamming and getting his hands on Ochocinco – Revis recognized an audible by Palmer. Isolated on one side of the field and facing third-and-six, he recalled a familiar sideline route to Ochocinco that the Bengals preferred to run in third-and-medium out of a particular formation. Knowing the ball would be coming his way, he gave Ochocinco a free release, then used his speed to run stride for stride and his body to box out any opportunity.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-revisisland011310

If you don't want/like the guy fine. That's your opinion. But don't just make up and spout off BS to try and sway people in your direction...

hazaduz

Reaction score
No Thanks. Revis is a me first type that we don't need. And he will want a new contract. Whiners can have the headache that is Revis.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Blowing the wad on Revis would go so far against this team's M.O. it would make JS's butt pucker.

Yes Revis is a great player and yes he would improve the D in the short term, but it would be at the expense of so many other pieces of the team that it would never happen. Know who would make that move though? Ruskell. Nuff said.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2z8vqmz4 said:
We can't have both Sherman and Revis, and still keep the core of the team together. We just can't.

It looks nice now when guys like Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Browner, Tate, Wilson, Wagner etc. are all playing for peanuts (comparitively). It won't look nice when we can't keep all of those guys in a few years.

And you have to remember, we are going to be adding MEGA, MEGA bucks when Wilson and Sherman get their next deals. They will be structured cap friendly at first, but they are still going to be expensive. It's not too soon to start planning for that by being ultra smart with the cap, which they are.
This.
If money were no object, It would be fantastic to cherry pick every star player in the League and if there were no CAP we'd probably pulverize the competition, until some other team decided to run the bid up on some players, and destroy the whole system...No Thank You.

chris98251

Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? Revis is known for being a physical press coverage corner.

Put Browner in Revis in a octagon and tell me who is more physical, Revis hand checks some, Browner knocks them off stride and out of their routes, It's like a boxing match with Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard, Both good but Tyson just has to land a few blows and it's over.

Revis is no where near the physical corner Browner is, Atkinson and Tatum, Lott, Easley and Kam are the arena Browner is in.

pinksheets

Reaction score
kearly":3mvtjt5b said:
pinksheets":3mvtjt5b said:
At what point is there a level of diminishing returns, though?

I just don't see too many instances where making sure you've got an elite shutdown corner to cover a team's #2 is the best use of our resources.

Are you creating diminishing returns or synergy? Considering the absurdly low passer ratings of passes that target Revis and Sherman, I lean towards the synergy angle, just like how two great WRs make each other even better. I think this is especially true when you consider that even our would be 3rd and 4th corners (Browner, Thurmond) are pretty damn good themselves, so passes targeting #3 and #4 receivers probably wouldn't be so hot either.

Lady Talon":3mvtjt5b said:
No secondary can succeed in this league without a pass rush, mediocre QBs can pick good secondaries apart if they have all day to throw. All Revis would be is a expensive distraction that ensures we can't upgrade the pass rush and improve as a defense.

Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things. You can probably trade for Revis and still improve, perhaps greatly improve, the pass rush.
Thurmond could already be our nickel corner if he's healthy, but how would Browner play inside? I don't know if he'd be great there.

I get what you're saying, I'm just not sure shutting down #2s and improving Sherman through synergy (how much?) is worth the cost, which would come in terms of letting other players walk to afford this type of tandem. I could be convinced, but I'm not sure that we don't have to downgrade at positions that are far less strong than our secondary to pull this off.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":1zj5lh58 said:
If you don't want/like the guy fine. That's your opinion. But don't just make up and spout off BS to try and sway people in your direction...
Wow, maybe you can pony up a few million bucks, put it in a bag, give it to Revis, and coax him into signing with the Seahawks for peanuts.
NO player is so spectacular that he should be given consideration if he chances ruining the team financially.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1is0vr29 said:
We can't have both Sherman and Revis, and still keep the core of the team together. We just can't.

It looks nice now when guys like Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman, Browner, Tate, Wilson, Wagner etc. are all playing for peanuts (comparitively). It won't look nice when we can't keep all of those guys in a few years.

And you have to remember, we are going to be adding MEGA, MEGA bucks when Wilson and Sherman get their next deals. They will be structured cap friendly at first, but they are still going to be expensive. It's not too soon to start planning for that by being ultra smart with the cap, which they are.

Agreed.

In my opinion it is more important that we are able to pay our own guys in the near future. Revis would make any team better, no doubt, but we would not be able to keep our core guys; Thomas, Sherm, etc, all together. That simply is not worth it.

I think we should all buckle up to the idea that Revis will probably be a 49er. It appears as though he would like to be there, and I think it is safe to assume that they are certainly interested in him, and they have the picks to make it happen. At this point I am just hoping that it ends up somehow costing them, assuming the deal gets done.

Also, I watched Stevie Johnson beat Revis several times. It seemed to me that Stevie gave Revis the most problems. If he does become a 49er then I hope we pay attention to whatever Stevie Johnson was doing because it worked, and that was with Fitzpatrick tossing the ball!

Edit: Further look at Johnson vs Revis http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/62603/steve-johnson-at-home-on-revis-island
I wouldn't say he owns him, but he definitely has the upper hand.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Put Browner in Revis in a octagon and tell me who is more physical, Revis hand checks some, Browner knocks them off stride and out of their routes, It's like a boxing match with Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard, Both good but Tyson just has to land a few blows and it's over.

The question wasn't who is more physical. Browner is probably the most physical and borderline dirty CB in the league (not saying I don't like that). Put Richard Sherman in the Octagon with Browner and who wins? That doesn't mean he's not a good fit for us.

You said:
Revis isn't physical

That statement is just incorrect. Tagging Revis as a "Finesse" type player is just not right. He's one of the more physical guys in the league too, and would fit right in on this defense. He's plenty physical but he also brings in some skills that Browner just doesn't posses. Revis wouldn't have been burnt by Wallace all day long like Browner...

I absolutely love Browner and will be completely happy if we keep him, but Revis is definitely 100% an upgrade over Browner. That's just fact.

canucklhead

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":2udonecp said:
Hmmm upgrading our #1 strength at the cost of picks, players, 15% of our cap, and a headache every two years when he wants a new deal? Not to mention with Sherman on the team it would be contract battles every of season between the two. No thanks. Browner is way better than just okay.

We have a winner!

Tical21

Reaction score
I desperately want the Seahawks to consolidate and trade some draft picks for a player, but there are about 7 other positions I would address before I looked at giving so much and paying that much for a corner.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":2q5hr9mx said:
It would be so dope to have sherm and Revis. I think it would play well also because they would consistently be trying to out perform each other and feed off that.

30377181.jpg

Lady Talon

Reaction score
kearly":n904lk86 said:
Lady Talon":n904lk86 said:
No secondary can succeed in this league without a pass rush, mediocre QBs can pick good secondaries apart if they have all day to throw. All Revis would be is a expensive distraction that ensures we can't upgrade the pass rush and improve as a defense.

Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive things. You can probably trade for Revis and still improve, perhaps greatly improve, the pass rush.

You're right, but it does make it harder to improve it. Especially bringing in a 9m dollar cap hit CB and giving up high round picks. We have little depth at DE (our stud DE is coming off a knee injury and sure to be playing at about 2/3rds effectiveness and need to be rotated, unless he's Adrian Peterson) and a need to improve 3 tech DT badly. No guarantees you can find a home run DL in the draft or UDFA, and the franchise tag scenario left mediocre FA DTs primed for large contracts.

Hawkfan77":n904lk86 said:
Lady Talon":n904lk86 said:
That's just not true.

I highly doubt we are getting Revis but if we did our D would be greatly improved.

It is true. Having 2 lockdown corners in a zone scheme isn't going to consistently get you off the field on 3rd downs when the QB has all day to let his receivers work seams into the zone and he has time to throw a good pass. Add pass rush that will have the QB cringing at shadows, make bad decisions, throw balls away, and generate sacks, and you can end their drives much more effectively, even if you don't have the best corners in the league. Defense begins in the trenches just like the offense does.

zhawk

Reaction score
I vote no... cares to much about him. we want players that love each other and play that way.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3utebrsg said:
Nah, DE or DT are by far the biggest priority.

I agree....and the possibility of disturbing "team chemistry" increases with Revis.

John and Pete will be happy to explain to you why we are not going after Revis.