Spotting a knock off.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Are there any sure fire ways to spot a knock off jersey? I picked up a couple "defects" on the low low, but I'm pretty sure they're knock offs. Any way to know for sure? For the price I don't even really care, just curious.

Smoke

Reaction score
Put the jersey on and stab yourself in the heart. If you die, you are donning a fake.

NYCoug

Reaction score
A friend of mine *cough cough wink wink* has a knock off Russell Wilson "authentic" jersey. I'm telling you, if he didn't tell you it was a fake, you'd believe it's the real thing. We've compared it with the REAL authentic jerseys and they are identical. No Hawks fan I've met has been able to tell it's a knockoff, only payed 30 bucks for it too, straight off a chinese website. However, the other day we found "the bootleg"...

Around the collar, there are only 11 totem feathers on each side, not 12.

I must say, excellent work, washes well and the stitching doesn't come undone. Real quality.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The NFL can bitch and moan all they want, but the fact is if regular jersey prices weren't so abusive they wouldn't have this problem.

Largent80

Reaction score
And another reason why China is killing us financially, while companies like Nike employ them, and jack prices through the roof to the people of America. (don't want to turn this into political, just stating the obvious)

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2wwk2zsn said:
The NFL can bitch and moan all they want, but the fact is if regular jersey prices weren't so abusive they wouldn't have this problem.

Well of course they're going to bitch. No company wants competition, which leads to lower prices. I'd say its almost our duty to buy knock offs as fans though. The more people that buy them, the more chance the rich execs in sports will feel a little competition for once in their lives and finally lower their ridiculously high prices.

RockHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3bkwkgx3 said:
Hawkstorian":3bkwkgx3 said:

Well of course they're going to bitch. No company wants competition, which leads to lower prices. I'd say its almost our duty to buy knock offs as fans though. The more people that buy them, the more chance the rich execs in sports will feel a little competition for once in their lives and finally lower their ridiculously high prices.

As a policy, .NET does not support or condone the purchase of illegal merchandise. But the fact of the matter is that I completely agree with this assertion and tend to side with the fans on this one.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smoke":wfittggs said:
Put the jersey on and stab yourself in the heart. If you die, you are donning a fake.
Or it could prove to be the other way around, because if you die laughing, it could prove that YOU are a fake. :16:

Greenhell

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2tz3i1au said:
Are there any sure fire ways to spot a knock off jersey? I picked up a couple "defects" on the low low, but I'm pretty sure they're knock offs. Any way to know for sure? For the price I don't even really care, just curious.

Zeb,

Do the water test. Spray or sprinkle water on the jersey. If it absorbs water it's a fake. The water beads up on the real jerseys.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2fb5kmzb said:
Yeah, and leave buyers with enough $avings on buying a jersey >AND< attend a REAL Seahawks game. :vodka:

Schadie001

Reaction score
If the person you bought it off of look's as if they are of strong Chinese heritage, speaks broken English but their name is Joe. Probably a knockoff. But then again they are all made in China anyway so what's the difference?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
As long as wherever you purchased it it said 100% Authentic there's absolutely no reason to think it's not.

Claden

Reaction score
Greenhell":u1bklaxa said:
Zebulon Dak":u1bklaxa said:

Zeb,

Do the water test. Spray or sprinkle water on the jersey. If it absorbs water it's a fake. The water beads up on the real jerseys.

Yep. This works. Also a lot of the fakes have different numbers of collar feathers. Some have them going the wrong direction.

tomahawk

Reaction score
I look at it as buying direct. I cut out the middell man and save $$$. I can buy a couple new jerseys each year, not feel bad about spending the money and don't care if I spill beer and salsa on it. Perfect gameday jersey. Do be careful washing them though - inside out and on gentle. You get what you pay for but for someone like me who doesn't care about the "realness" of it, the less expensive route is the way I go.