First attempted female NFL player fails miserably

pehawk

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1ck1p2yg said:
Women don't have wieners.

Not true, the keepers do. The key phrase is "can you unwrap the candy", and voila, weiner.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mo Isom got "close" with LSU

Great article on Grantland about her

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/827 ... ws-not-end

If they can compete straight up and win the job I am fine with them playing with men.

I have always looked at women sporting leagues as inferior to mens in basically every sport. I have yet to find one sport where I would rather watch the women version over the men version. It is not a sexist thing it just isn't as enjoyable as it isn't on the same level. So with that said I have no issue with women that wants to play in a higher league.

OK before I get blased here is an example. Sweden's women national soccer team which is one of the top 8 national teams in the world played against a boys YOUTH soccer team. This wasn't the national soccer youth team -- it was one soccer teams U17 team. The U17 team dominated to the extent that after 1-0 in halftime (I guess they couldn't score :)) the Swedish national team coach (that up to recently was the US Women coach - Pia Sundhage) asked the coach of the boys team to only use 10 players for the second half.

Final score - boys 3 - women 0

So no problem with a woman that can play in a higher league even though men can't play in the women's league

pehawk

Reaction score
Women's tennis is more gooder, IMO.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'd much rather watch Women's Basketball than Men's.

The women play a team game and some of them can actually shot & pass. Whereas men mostly do ally opps, 3 pointers, dunks, its really boring and I gave it up long ago.

:les:

The Radish

Reaction score
Lady Talon":4m6v694j said:
The Radish":4m6v694j said:
Lady Talon":4m6v694j said:
I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Could see a fake field goal attempt and a woman kicker being fair game by the rules and leveled by the defense being a PR disaster for the NFL.

Is this Lady Talon speak for her not being able to kick the ball worth a shit either.

:D

She brings up a great point, get a woman kicker and no player in their right mind would dare run into her. Can you imagine the riot on the field, let alone in the courtrooms?

hahahahaha

I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)

Ok.....is this to much information or something I should look into further? I'm not sure I understand all I know about this.

:shock:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even if she had kicked amazingly well, I still doubt an NFL team would have signed her. There's just too much other stuff to consider in the male-only sport and it could have become a major distraction for some team.

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
Watching the kicking attempt reminded me of the England v France womens rugby union international that the BBC showed about a week ago. In that a ladies conversion attempt just skidded along the ground and came to a halt near the bottom of the goalposts.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The Radish":1v4cp7fu said:
Lady Talon":1v4cp7fu said:
I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)

Ok.....is this to much information or something I should look into further? I'm not sure I understand all I know about this.

:shock:

I was only demonstrating that I could kick the hell out of balls under the right circumstances. Not like you could replicate those circumstances on many NFL fields though. But, I could be wrong, some of the cat calls from the DL could make me purposely whiff on that kick by a mile and make some mouthy fool into a strong case for mandatory cup usage.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xmf1dfh said:
Zebulon Dak":1xmf1dfh said:
Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)

Even more predictable is what you think I said compared to what I actually said. I was just asking if there was no blame to be placed on the players. I didn't say anything about how much I think should be put on them. Making assumptions, much?

I'm just flippin ya crap but am I misreading this or did you mean to say something else?

RolandDeschain":1xmf1dfh said:
I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3odq31k4 said:
I'm just flippin ya crap but am I misreading this or did you mean to say something else?

Oh, I said it; I was just kind of trolling you back. Though, looking back, it was a pretty bad attempt. I blame the fact that I stayed up reading until 3:40am last night, when I had to wake up at 7:15am. : /

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here is a great article on NFL.com about this complete sham: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... al-combine

She went along today, apparently, because a friend told her to 'give it a go'. She'd never kicked before in her life. Someone had to show her how to tee up the football. And she faked an injury when it all went oh so wrong. It's all a great big publicity stunt. And she had the gall to turn round after and say she hoped this would inspire other women to break barriers in sport.

She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

pehawk

Reaction score
So hackey. Just pure gimmick.

What's next? A Brit with a Seahawks draft blog?

jkitsune

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ipij35d said:
Why, exactly? She paid money to be there as is her right. She bombed out. If not for the hooplah she'd be no different than any other kicker who was outclassed by the competition. If that's how she wants to spend her money, what's wrong with it?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
jkitsune":34w5babp said:
Why, exactly? She paid money to be there as is her right. She bombed out. If not for the hooplah she'd be no different than any other kicker who was outclassed by the competition. If that's how she wants to spend her money, what's wrong with it?
It earned future female combine candidates more male scorn.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
All they could be are kickers anyways. No one cares about them and it's not like they can break the bank with those contracts. If the NFL (and US law) is prepared to let it's female athletes juice up to catch up, then were getting somewhere.

Of course, if you think it's bad enough that male athletes sue the NFL for ruining their health, just wait until women finally break in. A new league will have to be formed just to recognize pro football after that trigger is pulled.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":i4exozas said:
theENGLISHseahawk":i4exozas said:

Nothing wrong with it at all, but at least be open about it. Admit that you're a complete amateur who went along for the ride. DO NOT claim this as some moral victory for women in sport. How patronising! There are world class sportswomen already competing with men. She's trying to make out that this is some kind of ground breaking moment, because she could be arsed to go along to this event. And now any female who wishes to compete in these mini-combine events in the future will almost certainly be sneered at because of this sham.

Again, I'll refer to the NFL.com piece: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... al-combine

Katie Hnida, the real female place-kicking trailblazer -- the one who kicked for years before she tried out for her high school team and even more years before she walked on first at Colorado and then at New Mexico -- was too classy to knock Silberman, as well. She's a woman, she pulls for women and she still mentors young female kickers all around the country who are toiling, day in and day out, to prove their exceptionalism. She expressed sorrow that it didn't go better for Silberman. And then Hnida was told Silberman said, "I really hope this shines a spotlight on sports generally for women."

Silence.

More silence.

Then finally, Hnida said she didn't want to go there.

Fine, then allow me: This wasn't the spotlight we were looking for.

"I really hope this shines a spotlight on sports generally for women."

Yeah, and next time I draw a stick man skateboarding down the road, I hope that'll shine a spotlight on fine art for men.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
jkitsune":altqr8fq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":altqr8fq said:

If she went o actually try to make a team that would be one thing, but this whole thing was a cheap publicity stunt. Naive much?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
If anything, she made women take a couple steps back for making a mockery of the combine. She hurts the chances of all of the women that actually take it seriously and are legitimate kickers.

Latest posts