First attempted female NFL player fails miserably

kearly

Reaction score
I don't want to sound mean or politically incorrect, but I thought this story was darkly hilarious. Reads like something from the Onion or the Daily Show or maybe failblog.org.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ker-tryout

Silberman's first kick went only 16 yards and she appeared to injure herself on the kick. She took another kick, but that one was even worse, flying just 14 yards.

A former soccer player, Silberman had never played football before. She hoped that the time she spent with video games would give her an advantage, but the 28-year-old never really got a chance to kick due to her injury and will not make an NFL team right now.

Tough break and all that. I admire her ambition, but if you can't make ONE punt without injuring yourself, it's probably not meant to be.

Also, video games? Really?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Could see a fake field goal attempt and a woman kicker being fair game by the rules and leveled by the defense being a PR disaster for the NFL.

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1uzuqdw8 said:
Maybe she can make it in the Lingerie league.

Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

The Radish

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2iagq60g said:
I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Could see a fake field goal attempt and a woman kicker being fair game by the rules and leveled by the defense being a PR disaster for the NFL.

Is this Lady Talon speak for her not being able to kick the ball worth a shit either.

:D

She brings up a great point, get a woman kicker and no player in their right mind would dare run into her. Can you imagine the riot on the field, let alone in the courtrooms?

hahahahaha

nategreat

Reaction score
Reminds me of an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Dee tries out for the Jets to kick... can't find a clip of it, but here's another funny clip from the same episode:

[youtube]1a2OEBbs-AU[/youtube]

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I read something about how this was likely a PR move on her part. She has some sports company or something she's trying to promote, so why not get your name out there as the first female at the combine?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The Radish":nobtnhfl said:
Lady Talon":nobtnhfl said:

Is this Lady Talon speak for her not being able to kick the ball worth a shit either.

:D

She brings up a great point, get a woman kicker and no player in their right mind would dare run into her. Can you imagine the riot on the field, let alone in the courtrooms?

hahahahaha

I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
chris98251":2woal1yf said:
JSeahawks":2woal1yf said:
Maybe she can make it in the Lingerie league.

Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily call the LFL less violent. Watch some videos if you get a chance, those girls are really ballin out there. Granted, they're obviously not as big and strong as the men playing in the NFL, but relatively speaking, I'd say it's pretty much on par violence-wise.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":22wvvdyz said:

I suppose the retired players trying to sue the league for gazillions over safety, and the current players & their union whining 24/7/365 about how the NFL doesn't care about their safety have nothing to do with it, eh? Just all Goodell being a wuss?

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1v9f7rvw said:
chris98251":1v9f7rvw said:

I suppose the retired players trying to sue the league for gazillions over safety, and the current players & their union whining 24/7/365 about how the NFL doesn't care about their safety have nothing to do with it, eh? Just all Goodell being a wuss?

If you join the army do you sue the government or the the enemy because you were shot or died? They signed up for a sport or occupation knowing their were injury risks, they had a concussion or were otherwise injured and kept playing. If you are doing something that is causing your body harm there is a certain amount of responsibility on your shoulders as well.

Hockey, CFL, are also sports of impact, I have yet to hear of a lawsuit there.

If I'm a logger and a tree falls on me am i suppose to sue as well if all safety precautions available were taken at that time.

Where the league has improved equipment over the years there is more they could have done to invest in new technology. But like any other business until there is a need why spend that money if things are being worked on outside of your business wanting to sell them to you.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Chris, I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot. I was bringing that up because you were hating on Goodell pretty hard. Which, for most people around here, means they side massively with the players.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":g7sttl1g said:
Chris, I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot. I was bringing that up because you were hating on Goodell pretty hard. Which, for most people around here, means they side massively with the players.

Lawyers have to respond with an arguement for a lawsuit, Goodell is a Lawyer but he is also egotistical I think, the league has taken advantage of their position as the biggest stage in the country. They have used that position and money to make players go beyond what most would not do in a regular employment situation, but still after all these years the players have to decide when it's more important to remain relatively healthy versus a big paycheck.

Its a two sided arguement to be sure, not all on the league since they have evolved equipment and medical facilities, not all on the players since they have a contract they get pushed or in the past felt obligated to honor, they also feel they would lose their positions on a team if they looked out for their own best interests.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":eqis8arb said:
chris98251":eqis8arb said:

Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)

RedAlice

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1oam5zdc said:
I read something about how this was likely a PR move on her part. She has some sports company or something she's trying to promote, so why not get your name out there as the first female at the combine?

All PR, in my opinion as a girl.

And she did accomplish that. If you read her statements, she was not concerned with doing much, other than being there.

And sorry, but as to Lingerie League, you did see her pics, right?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
That was nothing more than a publicity stunt, and one that not only failed miserably, but probably did the exact opposite of what it intended to do. It was supposed to highlight the fact that maybe women could compete on the same level as men even in the NFL. What it showed us is she was nowhere close to the level of even some of the guys who aren't good enough to make the team. Hell, I could go out and kick longer field goals than she did, right now, and I'm older than a lot of NFL retirees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

NYCoug

Reaction score
Thanks for finding this. This and the A-Rod story about him not actually giving the money he raised for charity to an actual charity made my morning. I wish there was video of this!

pehawk

Reaction score
And, my whites went uncleaned the same day as her tryout. Messed up.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2o7jhzf6 said:
Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)

Even more predictable is what you think I said compared to what I actually said. I was just asking if there was no blame to be placed on the players. I didn't say anything about how much I think should be put on them. Making assumptions, much?

:lol: