Tavon Austin Official Senior Highlights

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3l5i82zg said:
McGruff":3l5i82zg said:
Scottemojo":3l5i82zg said:
Here is how I see Tavon Austin: Dexter McCluster went in the 2nd round. Tavon is better in every way. In the late first, he would be a good get. There are other good gets, but he would be one.

Yeah, McCluster went in the second . . . Have we learned anything from that? mcCluster has been a disappointing 2nd round pick . . . Do we want a disappointing 1st round pick?

Uggh...I've never understood that rationale. What the hell does McCluster have to do with Austin? So nobody should draft Austin because McCluster has been disappointing?

:stirthepot:

I don't get it either. If I had just said talented slot guy with top 10 return skills who can take a surprise turn at RB and freak a team out, maybe the response from McGruff would have been different.

McGruff

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1po8rwcm said:
McGruff":1po8rwcm said:
Scottemojo":1po8rwcm said:
Here is how I see Tavon Austin: Dexter McCluster went in the 2nd round. Tavon is better in every way. In the late first, he would be a good get. There are other good gets, but he would be one.

Yeah, McCluster went in the second . . . Have we learned anything from that? mcCluster has been a disappointing 2nd round pick . . . Do we want a disappointing 1st round pick?

Uggh...I've never understood that rationale. What the hell does McCluster have to do with Austin? So nobody should draft Austin because McCluster has been disappointing?

:stirthepot:

Dude, you are the one who brought McCluster into the conversation, not me. My point is that saying Austin is better than a disappointing second round pick is NOT a first round endorsement IMO. With the exception of Steve Smith, all the players Austin gets compared to are either disappointing high picks or mid- round role players. That's the mold Austin is in. Maybe he breaks the mold. Our team has shown an inclination to roll the rice on potential mold breakrs, but I want to be real up front about what Austin is. IMO he's a flashy gimmick role player, but not a starting NFL wide receiver.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It might be nice to finally have a flashy gimmick role player, you know. And when you add his kick return ability, he's really more than just a gimmick.

I agree that Austin doesn't seem to be a full-time starting WR, but neither is Percy Harvin. There are niche roles for players like this. I think I'd still prefer a Hopkins/Hunter or even Swope later on, but I do think if Austin is sitting there at #25 it's going to be enticing.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2se6a40t said:
He reminds me of a slow motion De'Anthony Thomas.

I think Austin is faster, honestly. He seems to be clearing every five yard white line a little quicker to my eye, and he's also significantly more explosive in terms of his moves and short area quickness.

Really curious what Thomas runs at his combine.

FWIW, I think Austin is faster than his official 4.34. Most 4.3 guys don't blow people away the way he does.

Also, did I mention that you are a huge Ducks homer? Not that we don't still love you anyway. :)

Btw, what are your thoughts on your new coach?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2dr5nc7g said:
JSeahawks":2dr5nc7g said:
He reminds me of a slow motion De'Anthony Thomas.

I think Austin is faster, honestly. He seems to be clearing every five yard white line a little quicker to my eye, and he's also significantly more explosive in terms of his moves and short area quickness.

Really curious what Thomas runs at his combine.

FWIW, I think Austin is faster than his official 4.34. Most 4.3 guys don't blow people away the way he does.

Also, did I mention that you are a huge Ducks homer? Not that we don't still love you anyway. :)

Btw, what are your thoughts on your new coach?

:D I was just being a smartass mostly. I think Austin's probably faster too. Marcus Wheaton beat De'Anthony in the 100 in track as well. De'Anthony's strength and where he is amazing is his ability to make jukes and moves at full speed, and to be at full speed quickly after a cut. I think that's what seperates him. He does that as well as any player i've seen since Barry Sanders.

I'll PM ya my thoughts on the new coach, just so we don't derail this thread.

OP
OP
B

bigfatguy64

Reaction score
ivotuk":22zee7kb said:
I love this kid, he's electric and fun to watch. Especially love that he just flips the ball to a ref or away after a TD and he gives his gloves, armbands, etc to fans. Great guy. I was a little disappointed that he got tackled where it looked like he could've gotten away, but then again it looked like there were 12 defensive players out there trying to tackle him. Did WV have a running game? Or was it all Tavon? If it was all him, then wow!

Edit: Geno Smith looked really good in that clip!

Most of the year, we didn't have much of a run game. It was really up and down. We had a bruising back, but he stayed pretty hobbled up most of the season, and once he went down, the run game petered out. Against Texas, the run game was huge/wide open because they were pretty much selling out to stop Tavon.

I'd be curious to see what his stats would look like if that touch-pass jet sweep thing wvu runs counted as a run instead of a pass. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNmjJTn3CsI ) would probably be closer to 1000rec/900rushing. maybe more. He gashed some big ones with that play

crieghton

Reaction score
as a DIE-HARD WVU fan i gotta say i would love Tavon to be in Seattle along with WVU product Bruuucce Irivin!! i witnessed his ability wek in and week out and i can tell you he would be an asset to this offense and special teams..keep him on kick return though..he did well with punt return his senior year but earlier in his career struggled with indecision on what to do with it..outside of that he would do great things with Wilson under center scrambleing around which would in turn give AUstin a chnce to get open and make a bu=ig play which he did on the regular here...try and get pass rush adressed in free agency and do all you can to get Austin and you will have the best top to bpttom player in this draft when it comes to skill..he will dod things that just make you stand in awe like this... :shock: