The "what I expect to happen" mock draft v3.0

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":onel3fjl said:
Galloway had something though that this guy doesn't have -- size. Going up against some of the corners in the NFL who have the size, strength, and speed that they do ... I don't know that I see Austin having the same kind of impact in the NFL that he did in college. The NFL History books are replete with guys who had lights out speed and seeming game changing ability in college ... who did nada in the NFL: Raghib "Rocket" Ismail, Desmond Howard, Darrius Heyward-Bey, etc.

FWIW, Galloway's official combine time was 4.38. Unofficial times can be pretty dicey, anyway. Ahman Green had an unofficial 4.17.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
getnasty":1phcdw8o said:
Kearly, who do you like more Simon or Lemonier?

Simon, but they basically play different positions.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3cuaityj said:
I can't sell myself on believing that PC & JS want Austin. They have been so interested in bringing in big WR's that a shrimp like Austin despite his unique skill set just doesn't have the size this team looks for. We have gone undersized a few times (Thomas, Tate, Irvin, and Wilson) but when WR's like Durham, BMW TO, Braylon, and others have been brought in and the fastest guy we had in Lockett was cut I think they value Size over speed at the WR position.

Baldwin and Tate are undersized. Most of the WRs brought in by Ted Thompson were under six foot. 5'8" is pretty extreme, but Bruce Irvin was pretty extreme too.

Chawker

Reaction score
Kearly, forgive me, I finally get you. Your mocks you're trying to predict players final positionings on draft day. Ok, now I understand you. Thats what I was doing when I took Porter in the second round with my picks. Weather or not I still think he would be a good fit for us as a will LBer.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":1to894k7 said:
Hawkscanner":1to894k7 said:
Galloway had something though that this guy doesn't have -- size. Going up against some of the corners in the NFL who have the size, strength, and speed that they do ... I don't know that I see Austin having the same kind of impact in the NFL that he did in college. The NFL History books are replete with guys who had lights out speed and seeming game changing ability in college ... who did nada in the NFL: Raghib "Rocket" Ismail, Desmond Howard, Darrius Heyward-Bey, etc.

FWIW, Galloway's official combine time was 4.38. Unofficial times can be pretty dicey, anyway. Ahman Green had an unofficial 4.17.

I watched that speed on display with my own 2 eyes. Let me tell ya, it wasn't that far off. Galloway most certainly ran in the 4.2's no question about it. There's a reason that he was drafted 8th overall.

chris98251

Reaction score
Galloway played well for us in limited time, just didn't fit with Holmgren and Dallas liked him enough to give us a great deal.

Galloway wasn't a bust or a bad pick in any form as far as I'm concerned.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Austin running read option plays in the NFL. Every defense we face in the NFC West is capable of holding the edges. If it's not a pass, and the edge is contained you're sending him right into the teeth of the defense. Lynch and Turbin can take that sort of abuse, but I wouldn't send Russell or my new 2 million dollar undersized rookie toy up the gut. There's only so many ways to keep yourself from getting creamed in there.

I couldn't even imagine they'd plug him into the return game. If Russell finds out this kid is lights out, he will pull an Aaron Rodgers begging McCarthy to pull Randall Cobb off return duties. If he is returning kicks, it shows they aren't satisfied he can take Baldwin's spot.

If Austin comes to us, Baldwin's in danger of being challenged and reduced to backup slot WR. But that's part of life on a Pete Carroll team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Baldwin uninjured and with a sound clavicle is our best receiver getting off the blocks and open, Austin is Golden Tate 2.0 and may take a season or two to learn how to play receiver and getting off the line of scrimmage against whats going to be a more physical secondary if our model gets adopted more through the league.

Thats why I think Pete likes bigger more physical guys that can macth up physically and use the body to seperate from the defenders. The Speed has a window but not the determining factor and route running and smarts.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
They'd throw Austin in the slot- easiest to learn for a rookie. Wouldn't maximize his YAC lining up on the outside. Not against starting CBs jamming you on the line and armed with high safety help. Mismatch him against nickels, LBs, and safeties, get the ball to him in space and he'd be at his deadliest.

Especially since our outside receivers would be blocking upfield for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1an4gso9 said:
They'd throw Austin in the slot- easiest to learn for a rookie. Wouldn't maximize his YAC lining up on the outside. Not against starting CBs jamming you on the line and armed with high safety help. Mismatch him against nickels, LBs, and safeties, get the ball to him in space and he'd be at his deadliest.

Especially since our outside receivers would be blocking upfield for him.

So what do you do with Tate, he has that same skill set of YAC and elusive running like a RB.

I just see us not replicating what we already have, where we are most vulnerable is Rice and a player that can step in and bring a lot of his attributes. I think we were looking for one last year in Edwards and Owens, that spot is still up in the air unless the guy we got from the Cards who had some injuries is all that everyone said he could be, I can't remember his name or even know if he's still on the roster. All I know when we got him he was a player that if he got healthy looked to be a game changer type.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with Rice, Tate, or Baldwin. we've never had a franchise QB capable of making them look good. Baldwin got open with T-Jack a lot, doesn't mean hell instantly be RW's favorite, healthy or not. RW had his playbook limited and Miller having to save Giacomini's rear in pass protection. Hard having a reliable checkdown in Miller out of the passing game it really simplified the opposing defenses coverage. I personally think RW would have surpassed Griffins QBR just by adding Miller from the start. Starting with the game at Chicago, Miller was all over our offensive production, and it went through the roof.

Nothing really NEEDS to be done with any of our 3 WRs/TE. Tate wasn't what I'd call elusive last year. He grew a pair, ran into/over people, and made them pay. All the while making some awesome catches.

They brought in TO/Edwards last year before they had any idea RW would start. There isn't any point now to go after old retreads hoping they'll be better then Rice. Give Russell actual weapons he can make better and see where the chips fall.

Overall I'd rather have Eifert then Austin if you ask me. His reach combined with that vertical would be prime for Wilson to hit for those tough 3rd down/goal line catches. But I'm a 2 TE set fan, beat up defenses and impose your will running and passing, instead of trying to out finesse them.

Norn Iron man

Reaction score
Kearly I think that mock looks more like what you dream might happen than what you'd expect to happen. I'd be shocked to see Jones there at 58 - he may even be gone by pick 25 - can't see Lemonier lasting to the 3rd and Stills and Wolff are both likely to be long gone by the 7th round.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
A lot of people are saying that we don't need speed because we already have it, but what you can't say is that we have anyone on this team with elite speed. Good speed, yes. Elite speed, no. Nobody on this team is a serious threat to go 80 yards, other than Leon Washington on special teams. Not saying elite speed is a need or anything, but it's not something we currently have.

Lady Talon":1e2vcjgn said:
Overall I'd rather have Eifert then Austin if you ask me.

I would agree on that point. I don't think Seattle takes a TE in the first few rounds though, unless something crazy happens like Ertz or Eifert are sitting there at #58.

Norn Iron man":1e2vcjgn said:
Kearly I think that mock looks more like what you dream might happen than what you'd expect to happen. I'd be shocked to see Jones there at 58 - he may even be gone by pick 25 - can't see Lemonier lasting to the 3rd and Stills and Wolff are both likely to be long gone by the 7th round.

Lemonier probably is rising, but until we have confirmation I'm assuming he's still a mid rounder. Jones specifically probably won't reach 58 but I explained by reasoning there. There are going to be some very good players who are 7th rounders this year due to this being one of the deepest drafts ever. Stills and Wolff are just potential examples of the kind of talent I expect in that slot. Stills might easily be the 20th or 25th receiver taken in this draft.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
Regarding Austin, I have seen him play a lot. I live an hour from Morgantown, WV. He is basically RW just at the wide receiver position. He is undersized but makes up for that with everything else. He is a rare talent kind of like Percy Harvin. I'm sure Bruce Irvin is all over JS and PC about drafting him. I think Bevell would be drooling over him in his offense too. Whoever gets him will add a dangerous weapon to their offense.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I agree. Sucky thing is, I think it's most likely that Austin ends up a Ram, and that is going to suck.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to fall into the Austin hype, even when this super fast, electric undersized players who were great in college they rarely produce in the same way or last long in the NFL. I'm 100% on finding a big target either in top tier TE or a 6'3 WR who can replace Rice in a pinch.

aawolf

Reaction score
LOL. My NC State Wolfpack may be a farm team for the Seattle Seahawks if this happens...Wilson, Hauschka, Sweezy, then Amerson and Wolff? While I'd love to see that happen, no way is Amerson around for round #6. Wolff may be around in the 7th though and I think he is a better all around football player than Amerson. Here is Wolff warming up for the 40 yard dash (not photo shopped).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 3197637159

aawolf

Reaction score
On your draft, I would love to see those picks. After much consideration, I think Austin is a playmaker and worthy of a first round pick on any team, but his skill set is very similar to Tate IMO and he may not be a priority for JS. If the most important attribute is athleticism, as has been discussed, Austin should be number 1 on the draft board. However, I just want a reliable possession reciever and there seem to be plenty of those in this draft that can be had in rounds 2-4.

As an aside, and totally unrelated to this mock, I've seen highlights of Taj Boyd, the QB at Clemson while scouting various players, including Earl Wolff in the clip in this thread. He is a great player and I wonder what his draft stock will be in 2014. If we keep Flynn around another year, I would love to get him in Round 2 next year as an RW backup. If scouts are smart, though, he'll be a top 5 pick next year.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Yeah, Amerson's starting to look like a 4th rounder. I heard on Rotoworld that an insane number of CBs are expected to go in the first 100 picks, something like 20 of them. Probably has to do with how many big/fast CBs there are this year.

Boyd will be a top 10 pick next year barring a collapse. He is a textbook point guard type, which is exactly the kind of QB that every NFL team is scrambling to find right now.

Latest posts