Speculation and rumor

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Assuming we move Flynn, and assuming we want to find a backup QB with a similar skill-set as RW (to maintain continuity of offensive strategy, play-calling, etc), this guy might fit THAT bill:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nfl-wvu ... --nfl.html

Loved watching him at West Virginia. He can definitely throw the ball too: 6049 yards and 56TDs in his college career.

~HaG

Rat

Reaction score
I like White a lot. Even went to an event once and waited about two hours in line to get his signature on a mini football.

That being said, this is a guy who got cut from a UFL team. I'd be fine giving him a camp invite, but I'd be shocked if he were good enough to be our primary backup.

OP
OP
HagFaithful

HagFaithful

Reaction score
I think he excels in certain "systems". I believe we run a system (with RW) that might fit White's style. I'd be curious to know what kind of system the UFL team expected him to run.

I'm not betting on any of this happening. But as I think about the differences in our starting QB (RW) and our backup QB (currently and probably Flynn), our OC and offense would have to be prepared to operate two different types of offenses if Flynn were called upon to play for any significant time.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pat White?
Respectfully, hell no. The man took one NFL hit and was done. If he has to play, you better have a 3rd QB active.

pinksheets

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":27ik2yeu said:
What's the rumor and speculation? Thread title is misleading because there is no rumor or speculation connected to the Seahawks.
Rumor has it the OP is speculating about Pat White.

OP
OP
HagFaithful

HagFaithful

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":ejqax0b5 said:
What's the rumor and speculation? Thread title is misleading because there is no rumor or speculation connected to the Seahawks.

Sorry I didn't spell it out in direct words, but this IS speculation and so I AM starting a rumor. But I think you knew that, so either comment on the topic or move along. It's not your job anymore to police every thread. I purposefully buried it in the "NFL" forum because I realize how far-fetched this is.

The off-season...so touchy.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HagFaithful":kdqd5kkn said:
FlyingGreg":kdqd5kkn said:

Sorry I didn't spell it out in direct words, but this IS speculation and so I AM starting a rumor. But I think you knew that, so either comment on the topic or move along. It's not your job anymore to police every thread. I purposefully buried it in the "NFL" forum because I realize how far-fetched this is.

The off-season...so touchy.

How dare we ask for clarity! "So touchy" is right...unbunch your panties. I didn't know what you were trying to say because it didn't make sense with the link provided, since there is no speculation nor rumor. A better thread title would have been "random guy out of nowhere that has no chance of being a Seahawk".

Just a little advice there, .Net rookie. There's a reason why there are almost 500 views on this thread and only a few responses.

:1:

So anyways, back to the OP...stupid idea. There, hope you feel better. I'll be looking forward to your next whacky idea.

And be real, you posted it here in the NFL forum because you have much less chance of being chastised.

OP
OP
HagFaithful

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Keep your advice, Grounded Greg. I might be a rookie on this latest incarnation of .Net but I've been tinkering on one version or another of .Net since '99. Just don't have the time to live on here and look at every thread on the MAIN forum let alone the peripheral forums. Posted this HERE because, as I understand it, some people enjoy talking football, not just Hawks (hence the name, 'NFL Nation') and we may remember Pat White, remember how dynamic of a player he was, somewhat similar to RW at Wisconsin and NC State.

I don't give a turd about 500 views and 4 responses; but thank you for the compliment to my apparent marketing genius. Obviously it rubbed you the wrong way. The only person chastising me is YOU, and duh, you are doing it in the forum where this sort of discussion SHOULD BE permitted. Walk-on, cuz you're trolling and baiting. The CURRENT mods have domain, not you bro.

So, other than "stupid idea", anything relevant to the SPECULATION and RUMOR, that uhm, you know, is a fact-based opinion? Are you capable of those?

Rat

Reaction score
Has White ever appeared open to playing another position? He was so electrifying in college, he could be a worthy project to take on.

OP
OP
HagFaithful

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Rat":2cuyaf40 said:
Has White ever appeared open to playing another position? He was so electrifying in college, he could be a worthy project to take on.

At 6'0", 190lbs the only other position I would even think he would consider is WR. But at a 4.55 in the 40 (NFL Combine 2010), he probably doesn't have the speed nor size required to be an effective NFL WR. He's taking part in the WVU pro day in March as a QB, it will be interesting to read his measurables and the scouting reports. Oh, and he definitely took more than one hit - he played 9 games for the Dolphins before Ike Taylor (Steelers) went all Ike Turner on him and lit his tits up on this play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042C1b0wGSo

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HagFaithful":2995btnt said:
So, other than "stupid idea", anything relevant to the SPECULATION and RUMOR, that uhm, you know, is a fact-based opinion? Are you capable of those?

Well I can guarantee the Seahawks, on the cusp of being a Super Bowl contender, are not going to invest the #2 QB position in Pat White, a player that hasn't seen the league in three seasons. As Scott said, he's just too frail. Pete and John have articulated a desire to find someone suited to run the read-option if they did move Flynn, and that means someone who can take a few hits. That's not White.

Speaking of Flynn, the chances of moving him are very remote. They are not going to cut him outright (makes no sense), and available trade partners are extremely limited at this point.

Ironically, in the frame of relevance, Pat White is irrelevant.

pehawk

Reaction score
I posted the same sentiment back when he said he was coming back. But, he may be to spread QB's what Brock Huard is to pocket QB's. A female with as much talent there is but Huard nor White could take a hit.

OP
OP
HagFaithful

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Well, one could (and many on this board DID) argue that the Seahawks last year, on the cusp of being a playoff team, wouldn't trust their STARTING QB position to a rookie. People are PAID to make these decisions, and sometimes those decisions fly in the face of us message board GM's. Look, I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying if you watched any WVU/Pat White games you realize how similar WVU's offense was to our CURRENT offense (ZR Option) and the success Pat White had in it. It wouldn't cost us a draft pick to bring him in for a look/evaluation.

Back to his apparent lack of toughness. You can't say the kid is AFRAID of taking a hit. During the play in question (Ike Taylor hit), instead of running out of bounds, he put his head down to try and get the first down. Result was not pretty. We all know you can't do that in the NFL as a QB. (I hope Pat White learned it on that play.) If you're going to be a running/mobile QB in the NFL, you HAVE to avoid the big hit, even if that means sliding a few yards early or getting out of bounds before the sticks. Nobody will question your toughness, they will applaud your intelligence, and your coaches won't have an acute heart attack every time you tuck the ball and run.

Here's a little clip of Pat's physicality in college. The kid ain't soft, it shows his "spur of the moment" commitment to his team, and reminds me of a certain QB on our roster who makes the extra block for his teammates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk7GBdohIYU

I like the analogy, PE. But Brock got a chance to play in a similar system (in the NFL) to the one he ran in college. Pat White was asked to run the Wildcat in the NFL, which is rather different than a true ZR option. And we've all seen the Wild Cat die with Tony Sporano's coaching career and Tim Tebow's Jets tenure. Like this article says, the ZR option is the current offensive "arms race" and has NFL defensive coordinators flocking to the college level to figure out how to stop it. QBs with this skill-set are a hot stock. If he has a good "pro day", I'd bet that Pat White gets another shot in the NFL.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd love for the Seahawks to bring him in. As I said, he reminds me of Huard because of the physical talent level is off the charts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Huard because of physical talent or the piece of china during a earthquake talent waiting to get broke.

Rat

Reaction score
I lived in West Virginia during the Pat White years and was forced to watch him a lot. Fragile was never a word that came to my mind.

That being said, super long shot, but he has enough talent to warrant a camp invite.

pehawk

Reaction score
Maybe I'm confusing fragility with adjusting to the pro game. I.e., not knowing how or when to avoid contact. I confuse men and woman alot too.