Regarding Tavon Austin

kearly

Reaction score
Before I finally get some sleep, I had a rather disturbing realization that I wanted to post on.

Seattle has a big, slow defensive line and while they aim to have fast linebackers, our secondary isn't full of burners by any stretch. It's not terribly hard to figure out why our team has struggled against fast RBs (Spiller, Bush, AP, etc) and quick WRs (Welker, Amendola, etc).

How much would it suck if Austin landed in our division? In particular, I could see the Rams being a real threat to take him. They will probably lose Amendola in free agency, and will need a slot WR most likely. The Rams own the 16th and 22nd selections, and I've seen a few mocks that have Austin going 22nd overall.

Man, that would suck. The Rams are the kind of team that can beat us with cheap points, too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
And... if the Rams don't take him and he's available to us at #25... and if we don't take him, that leaves him available to the Whiners to take. That would suck as well. I'd rather we take him in the 1st.

Failing any of the above, I'd much rather see him in some other division than ours.

McGruff

Reaction score
Not worried about Austin at all. He most often gets compared to Steve Smith, and Steve Smith is easily neutralized by hitting him in the mouth. I see us doing the same thing to Austin.

He can't beat us deep if he can't get past us.

getnasty

Reaction score
Just think of Tavon Austin catching all 73 bubble screens that Bevell calls next year, he's another weapon in the read option, and no way anyone covers this guys when Russell is running around buying time. I see Austin lining up all over the place much like Randell Cobb and Percy Harvin, he also would be a upgrade in the return game. We lack guys that get separation, Austin gets separation. I don't think anyone would be made if we took this guy in the 1st.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Our division is going to be a nightmare for some time to come. I'm just grateful that we found Mr.Wilson, and are the strongest we have ever been.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":1sj24nb9 said:
Before I finally get some sleep, I had a rather disturbing realization that I wanted to post on.

Seattle has a big, slow defensive line and while they aim to have fast linebackers, our secondary isn't full of burners by any stretch. It's not terribly hard to figure out why our team has struggled against fast RBs (Spiller, Bush, AP, etc) and quick WRs (Welker, Amendola, etc).

How much would it suck if Austin landed in our division? In particular, I could see the Rams being a real threat to take him. They will probably lose Amendola in free agency, and will need a slot WR most likely. The Rams own the 16th and 22nd selections, and I've seen a few mocks that have Austin going 22nd overall.

Man, that would suck. The Rams are the kind of team that can beat us with cheap points, too.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We would all being losing much sleep if he lands with an NFC West opponent. Thank you for so eloquently pointing this out.

General Manager

Reaction score
I'd rather have an all purpose WR like a Hopkins,Terrance Williams, Patterson type. SF took a small fast RB last year that wasn't much of a problem. WR is fairly deep to ,you can get a Marqees Wilson in the 4th . It looks like there going DL at 25 and WR somewhere else in the draft. If they did draft WR at 25 Austin wouldn't be my first pick there.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Still think you'll have to manufacture his production as a receiver. No doubt he'll be a threat as a returner and also on some trick plays, sweeps and whatever. But if he's running routes, he'll take a hit one day just like DeSean Jackson and that'll be that.

lukerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":i76xhqaz said:
Still think you'll have to manufacture his production as a receiver. No doubt he'll be a threat as a returner and also on some trick plays, sweeps and whatever. But if he's running routes, he'll take a hit one day just like DeSean Jackson and that'll be that.

I don't know about that. First of all, what makes Tavon so incredible is his awareness. When he runs in the open field, it's like he know exactly the best angles to take..When he can get the edge, and when he can't. The Seahawks wouldn't his him to throw 15 yard ins...hell we don't use anyone to run 15 yard ins. I don't know if it has to do with Wilson's height or what, but I am not worried about injuries with him at all.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It's not the height of Austin that's the issue here. It's the frame and overall size. Unfortunately when 170-180lbs 5-8 receivers play against 6-3, 260lbs players there's always a threat they'll get hurt. DeSean Jackson used to be one of the biggest playmakers in the league, but a hit that takes down a 210lbs, 6-2 receiver decimates DeSean Jackson. And Austin will have the same issues running orthodox routes in the open field. Now, when he keeps the defensive in front of him -- he's so elusive he will dink and juke away from big hits. That's his forte. But I'd hate to see him going for a 50-50 with a guy like Kam Chancellor.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":221ry2pd said:

We shall see. I've watched a ton of Austin, but I have not seen him take many hits, even when playing against some defenses with NFL talent on it. Laying a lick on Austin is easier said than done.

Browner vs. Austin would be interesting. Austin would probably get molested at the line, but if he gets out clean, Browner would be toast almost instantly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
True, but with that frame, he's toast if anyone gets his hands on him.

The only guy in our secondary that might not absolutely murder him with a big hit would be Sherman, and Sherm can still lay the wood.

Imagine Browner hitting Austin with the hit he laid on Welker last year. They're carrying that guy off the field in a paper bag.

Latest posts