So who do we trade?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
With all the talent on this team we are not going to be able to resign all of them. The smart money is to figure who is a product of the system and who is not. We need to be proactive in our negotiations process to also determine if someone brings more value in trade than they do the available vs cap space.

I believe one of the biggest downfalls to most successful systems is over paying players and even though I don't see this FO doing that you still have to wonder if they will be proactive and get value for the guys that will price themselves out of our market or will they let them walk into FA and settle for a comp pick.

With all the FA coming soon, this is the year we should actually start seeing these type of moves. Who do you think is expendable that would be a smarter value as a trade than a large contract?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I would like to keep our secondary intact and I don't believe our young linebackers will be either valued very high (KJ, Malcolm Smith) and we don't want to let Wagner go, we drafted him for a reason.

I would say Bryant and Mebane on the line could become expendable depending on the draft.

On the offense I'm not sure. I would almost say Sidney Rice and Zach Miller because of their cap numbers.

while it's true we won't be able to keep everyone keep in mind that by being creative we can keep most of the team intact for a while.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's about age, contract, and depth of a position, If your three deep at Safety and in practice you know the drop off is negeligible then Kam or Earl could be moved, some of these will not be fan popular. Kam having Guy and Johnson behind him I would think is a bigger chance since Maragos isn't as close to the talent level that Johnson is with Kam. Just an example.

You also have to ask if your depth allows you to keep the same scheme, Browner is a physical in your face guy while Sherm is a more cover guy, Maxwell and Lane along with Thurmond would have to step up to that level. Lane or Maxwell would have to be the physical CB that jams then unless we find someone else.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jeron Johnson, Jeremy Lane, Byron Maxwell, Mike Morgan and Matt Flynn are guys that are quite a bit better than some guys that get a lot of playing time for other teams and could compete for starting jobs elsewhere. I don't forsee anyone getting traded, but to play along with this thread these are guys that would have value elsewhere - especially given this front offices ability to identify and develop talented defensive backs I could see teams that are thin in the secondary having some interest.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'd throw Leon Washington on that list. Someone might be interested in his return skills, who knows.

Basis4day

Reaction score
We let Bryant test free agency and were still able to sign him back. At the time, he seemed pretty critical to the way our line worked. His foot injury leads me to wonder if that's still the case. I don't see us overvaluing anyone who has shown an ability to contribute.

McGruff

Reaction score
Typically trades are made on contract year players . . . taking out players eligible for RFA status in 2014, that leaves . . .

Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
Kam Chancellor
Anthony McCoy
Ben Obomanu
Michael Robinson
Golden Tate
Walter Thurmond

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
McGruff":30wa5nqy said:
Typically trades are made on contract year players . . . taking out players eligible for RFA status in 2014, that leaves . . .

Breno Giacomini
Paul McQuistan
Kam Chancellor
Anthony McCoy
Ben Obomanu
Michael Robinson
Golden Tate
Walter Thurmond

Trade all those guys to move up and get Barkley.

HUGGY

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2tb1fhnh said:
I would like to keep our secondary intact and I don't believe our young linebackers will be either valued very high (KJ, Malcolm Smith) and we don't want to let Wagner go, we drafted him for a reason.

I would say Bryant and Mebane on the line could become expendable depending on the draft.

On the offense I'm not sure. I would almost say Sidney Rice and Zach Miller because of their cap numbers.

while it's true we won't be able to keep everyone keep in mind that by being creative we can keep most of the team intact for a while.

Zach Miller????? Are you friggin crazy? Ya let's get rid of Mr. Clutch!!! Good plan!!!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The guys I could see released or resigned to smaller contracts are Leon Washington, Obo, M.Rob, Bryant, Mebane. I think it depends on who they draft and if they think some of the FA DTs are upgrades.

It's pretty brutal to look at it this way , but many fans don't realize that the last year of the CBA 2010 there wasn't not a cap and almost all teams are having to do corrections even with the increased cap for this year since then. For instance in 2009 the Hawks were dealing with a cap that will not most likely not be equaled until 2015.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
McGruff":aofgyqib said:

Breno Giacomini Breno has earned a significant pay raise. He is a guy with a nasty streak who plays through the wistle and adds attitude to the entire O-line. I don't think he will break the bank however and could probably get a bigger pay day elsewhere but I have a feeling he wants to stay and will be a reasonable resign.

Paul McQuistan Paul is an all purpose guy who again won't be highly expensive but drfinitely could get more elsewhere and also be a starter on many lines. Unfortunately I don't see any trade value in him and I also believe he will go somewhere else to become a starter. Would love to keep him around though. Great depth that can play multiple positions.

Kam Chancellor Kam realy is a wild card. The guy really is the most "system guy" we have. I love me some Kamtrack but if he is not dead set on staying a Seahawk and is looking for that big payday, he is someone we could move for picks. Would hate to see him go but not as much as I would hate to see our team become crippled by cap debt and the FO has shown they can find guys of his caliber.

Anthony McCoy I was very excited with the McCoy signing and had real high hopes for him but I have come to believe he is a Daryl Jackson clone. A guy with all the talent but just doesn't have the commitment. He's great when his number is called but otherwise I think his mind is just somewhere else. I don't see any trade value in him either but if they could swing a pick of any kind for him I would say take it. The other thing to consider with McCoy is he will be coming into a contract year so expect him to have a break out year. That is always the nature of these type of players. They feel the pressure of the big contract and FA and put their nose to the grind stone to have a breakout year and that makes them dangerous because it is hard to tell if it was a breakout year or just a contract year. Even with a huge year, I would have no problem letting him walk and take a comp pick just because I have seen enough players like him slip back into mediocrity while eating huge parts of the cap.

Ben Obomanu Great lunch pail guy but no trade value.

Michael Robinson I thought he recently signed a new contract but again, no trade value and he will be affordable. I do think you make him a priority to resign based on reasonable numbers, because he really is a great speacial teamer and team leader.

Golden Tate I hate that Tate is on this list. I do believe he will become an elite receiver and will probably have a breakout year this year. I will trust the FO on him. I would love to see them get him resigned sooner rather than later because I believe his price tag will go way up and unfortunately right now he won't bring much in the way of trade value.

Walter Thurmond
No trade value and even if he has a healthy/breakout year, he won't garner much interest in FA due to health in college and the pro's.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Throwdown":szghjviu said:
Do we have to trade someone?

Only way to not and stay under the cap is to let some of them walk. We have some huge signings coming up over the next couple/few years and we will need as much cap space as possible to keep as many of those key guys as possible. If your options for a player are letting them walk into FA, over paying them to keep them or trade them for a pick, what is your choice?

Facts are if Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wilson, Wagner and more all get the contracts their agents think they deserve, no one team will be able to keep them all unless you have made sacrifices elsewhere. There just isn't enough cap space to keep a team like the 90's 49ers together.

Jville

Reaction score
The Seahawks are in good shape with their 2013 cap. After three years of roster churn, I'm looking forward to this quite off season. Their team vision has been revealed and the basic architecture is there for everyone to see. The Seahawk community is in good shape. Their program works. No need to worry about others or anything outside their control.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
we trade no one and ask guys to do their contracts, thats all....i doubt this team trades away anyone. Someone said trade Earl Thomas? Dude was just voted All-Pro...meaning best in the league. You don't trade away the best in the league.....wow some people just don't think with their heads

chris98251

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1vlt8tt8 said:
we trade no one and ask guys to do their contracts, thats all....i doubt this team trades away anyone. Someone said trade Earl Thomas? Dude was just voted All-Pro...meaning best in the league. You don't trade away the best in the league.....wow some people just don't think with their heads

Someone was putting up an example of how you would look at the roster to trade or let go a player using Kam and Earl as examples in what you looked at as far as salary, age and then depth of the roster.

Many times reading the whole post before jumping to a conclusion is required before making stupid opinions on a post made as an example.