Tavon Austin Official Senior Highlights

Natethegreat

Reaction score
What is it that JS and Pete like? Guys that tilt the field? I'm pretty sure that Tavon does that. Not just his speed but he is so incredibly fluid and balanced. He reminds me of Bary Sanders running style.

McGruff

Reaction score
If O hear the "tilt the field" quote taken out of context one more time, my head will explode.

1. It was given in relation to the QB position.

2. It implied more about leadership under duress than it did physical abilities.

3. EVERY coach and GM is looking for guys who can "tilt the field" physically. That's the whole point of scouting and drafting. Find explosive athletes who are better than the other guys. The question is not the goal, but the ability to achieve the goal.

Measurables are important to this team. They are not the final say, but they are a significant factor. In order to look past inadequate measurables, a player must have significant mitigating factors. Does Austin have those? Possibly. Wouldn't shock me . . . But it would. I just don't think he's the kind of receiver this team is looking for. In fact, I think he's the opposite.

kearly

Reaction score
I heart Dougitydog. I wish he'd do videos for more than just WVU players. At least WVU has produced some really nice prospects lately (Bruce Irvin, Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey)

kearly

Reaction score
Regarding Austin,

I've thought for a long time, and probably said this here at .net once or twice, that Austin is a top 10 talent stuck in a small body. People can say he's like Deon Butler, who was similarly sized and nearly as fast, but Austin is more than fast. He's a genius with the ball in his hands. Austin runs like a 4.2 type athlete because his speed is so fluid and his ability to make people miss at top speed is almost unprecedented.

He's also a really polished WR, which I think gets overlooked.

I realize that Austin might not be an every down player, but I think he's good enough that you can line him up all over the place. He doesn't just have to be in the slot. And I think he'd make an insane weapon as a RB in read option plays. He'd also give us a successor to Leon Washington, and I am 95% sure that the Seahawks are going to walk out of this draft with one of Tavon Austin, Denard Robinson, or Ace Sanders because you don't find KR options this good every year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Thank you Kearly! Tavon has unreal balance and speed. He is not your everyday speedster it translates incredibly well on the field and he has an innate ability to start and stop on a dime. This isn't something you find every draft.
Therefore I think he fits the tilt the field mantra quite well. So he isn't an every down receiver he is still a big time play maker. I think Russel Wilson and Tavon would be an absolutely awesome tandem especially on third downs not to mention an outstanding return guy. He is the one guy I would be jump out of my seat excited for in this draft(unless Sheldon Richardson somehow fell to us).

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Most mocks I've seen have him going in the middle to the end of round 1.

He could be available for the Hawks.

Leon is currently 30. He'll be 31 just before the regular season starts.

I could see Pete wanting Leon's replacement now, especially with Austin's all purpose yardage production... instead of a year from now.

Austin is a table-tilter. Interesting.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Here is how I see Tavon Austin: Dexter McCluster went in the 2nd round. Tavon is better in every way. In the late first, he would be a good get. There are other good gets, but he would be one.

aawolf

Reaction score
Great Highlight video...He's Reggie Bush 2.0.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":egg9gg9j said:
Here is how I see Tavon Austin: Dexter McCluster went in the 2nd round. Tavon is better in every way. In the late first, he would be a good get. There are other good gets, but he would be one.

Yeah, McCluster went in the second . . . Have we learned anything from that? mcCluster has been a disappointing 2nd round pick . . . Do we want a disappointing 1st round pick?

McGruff

Reaction score
aawolf":2ptts4bh said:
Great Highlight video...He's Reggie Bush 2.0.

Sure . . . And Reggie Bush's moves didn't work in the NFL. What makes us think Austin's will? Bush took 5 years and 5 surgeries to learn how to be an NFL player.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Tavon is going to be a star in the NFL, I'm convinced...but in my mind, there is a person that we move up for in round 1 to get, it will be somebody to remedy the pass rush. If he is there at 25 and the Seahawks draft him, I'd be excited but surprised...I tend to think we need a bigger receiver type in our receiving corps.

I think there is a better chance that Seahawks could draft Ace Sanders. He is like the poor man's version of Tavon Austin. Ace may not have as much straightline speed (4.5 ish at the combine IIRC), but his playing style, cutting agility, and KR ability are similar to Tavon's, IMO. He also seems to have decent hands.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love this kid, he's electric and fun to watch. Especially love that he just flips the ball to a ref or away after a TD and he gives his gloves, armbands, etc to fans. Great guy. I was a little disappointed that he got tackled where it looked like he could've gotten away, but then again it looked like there were 12 defensive players out there trying to tackle him. Did WV have a running game? Or was it all Tavon? If it was all him, then wow!

Edit: Geno Smith looked really good in that clip!

kearly

Reaction score
For the record, I never liked McCluster. I think I had a 6th round grade on him that year. I have a 1st round grade on Austin. Role wise they have some similarities, but comparing the two is a little like comparing Justin Forsett to Chris Johnson.

Also, totally random thought that has nothing to do with anything, but holy shit are NFL teams underestimating Denard Robinson as a CJ Spiller/Reggie Bush type RB.

lukerguy

Reaction score
[youtube]bG20wQoaies[/youtube]

Only a handful of people in this world could make the play he makes at 3:50.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":23cjrmr2 said:
Tavon is a good player. But IMO he would be a luxury pick at 25.
The Seahawks are in as good a shape as any team that would be in order to make a luxury pick. They're being predicted to even win the Super Bowl by National Media. To say that Tavon Austin is a luxury pick suggests that he is not a complete football player. I would disagree with that. He is not just a bonus, but will be a valuable and consistent contributor - and as other posters have mentioned - a "tilt the field" type player. He would make the pieces the Seahawks already have even better. Isn't that what it's about? I understand that football is played on the lines and all that. But, you just don't pass on a player of this caliber if you're a team like the Seahawks looking for those things that are going to possibly make a difference - starting in the division. For the other teams in our division to have to account for Tavon Austin would make my decade.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":1b98u7v7 said:
Scottemojo":1b98u7v7 said:

Yeah, McCluster went in the second . . . Have we learned anything from that? mcCluster has been a disappointing 2nd round pick . . . Do we want a disappointing 1st round pick?

Uggh...I've never understood that rationale. What the hell does McCluster have to do with Austin? So nobody should draft Austin because McCluster has been disappointing?

:stirthepot:

penihawk

Reaction score
Austin and a flex TE (Escobar) make this offense very tough to defend. Austin is way more than a one trick pony bubble screen college WR. It's a no brainer if he on the board at 25 for me.