3rd round: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
4th round: Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central University Athletics
5th round: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
5th round: Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri
6th round: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
7th round: Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa
7th round: Courtney Gardner, WR
7th round: Abry Jones, DT, Georgia

This is based loosely on the rankings provided by Tony Pauline. Some other considerations are added (Armonty Bryant isn't ranked but I don't think he'll last into the late rounds, Jarvis Jones will probably fall like DaQuan Bowers- as reported by Pauline himself)

To quote Quentin Tarantino as channeled through Brad Pitt in the final moment of Inglorious Basterds: "I think this just might be my masterpiece!"

1st round: Jarvis Jones, DE, Georgia

Jarvis Jones probably won't be a Seahawk. But I think he should be. I've watched a LOT of Georgia tape this year, as seemingly their entire defense is in this draft. In a group of NFL caliber players, Jones stands head and shoulders about the rest. Quick, instinctive, disruptive. If Georgia had a sack on a given play, it seemed like it was always #29 coming out of the pile celebrating. Despite being just 241 pounds, Jones plays larger than his size and makes for more of a natural LEO than Bruce Irvin. Jones has the frame to add weight, but I'm not even sure if he'd have to. His game reminds me a lot of Von Miller, who is himself 6'3" 245 pounds.

The reason Jones isn't a top pick like Miller is because of a narrowing of the spine in his neck, which sounds a lot like the same injury that Peyton Manning had. If not the same injury, then certainly the same situation- one bad hit and it could be over. And yet at least half the NFL was climbing over each other for a chance to stake their careers on Peyton Manning's neck, including a certain duo I seem to remember flying in to Denver by private jet.

My point is this, even if you only get Peyton Manning for 4 or 5 years, he's worth it. It doesn't take a genius to understand that. Manning didn't cost a draft pick, but I'd argue that at $20 million a year he was far more expensive than a 25th overall pick would be. You might not get 10 years out of Jones, but you have a pretty good chance to get his 4 rookie contract years, where he'll give you pro-bowl production on a 4 year, $7.7 million type contract. That's less than $2 million in salary per year.

It's true that there is a chance that Jones could be forced to retire immediately and the pick could be a disaster, but there is a chance that any first round pick could be a disaster. Especially if that pick is being used on someone like Ezekiel Ansah or Datone Jones, who given their lack of development are far more likely to fail than succeed.

As far as the morality argument, Jones is going to be playing the NFL whether we think it's right or not. It's not like he's going to get passed over 255 times. And besides, who are we to deny him a chance to follow his NFL dream, or making millions to support his loved ones? People have risked their health or very lives for far less. If he can play, let him.

Jarvis Jones, when viewed as a rental, would be a fantastic acquisition that could help push Seattle's pass rush to the next level. It wouldn't set Seattle up ultra long term, but no other pass rusher in the entire draft comes close to what Jones can give you, and even in a scenario where his contribution is short lived, he could give us a phenomenal return on investment.

2nd round: John Simon, DT/DE, Ohio State

Like Russell Wilson last year, I don't believe size will matter for John Simon in the NFL. He was battled tested in a strong conference that is particularly known for producing offensive lineman. Simon didn't just "get by" at that level, he dominated. I think he could be a little bit like a poor man's Justin Smith for us when playing the Jason Jones role. Bruce Irvin, like Aldon Smith, is outstanding on stunts, and so is Simon. I could see Simon and Irvin making a similarly formidable duo. And like Wilson, Simon leaves behind a great head coach that can't stop gushing about him. Simon will bring the kind of leadership and field tilting to our defense that Wilson does for our offense.

3rd round: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M

Swope is a fierce competitor who even runs his forty with embarrassing intensity. Swope shocked many with a incredible combine performance. It seems so far that at least some evaluators feel his combine was a fluke, that he's still the "average" athlete he was on film. I think that's a load. Even on film you could see Swope running past, around, and even over defenders. He has quick feet and at times displays the kind of athletic improvisation we're used to seeing from Golden Tate.

Swope knows how to finds spots in a zone defense and is an excellent slot WR, but he has the size, speed, and YAC ability to play very well outside. When asked who he'd compare himself to, Swope said he was flattered by the Welker comparisons but felt that Jordy Nelson was a closer match to his game. Swope played with improvising QBs Tannehill and Manziel, and even when he wasn't considered the teams best WR, he was always the guy who got targets in the big games. A QB's pet much like Engram was for Hasselbeck, Swope knows how to work his way open when his quarterback is improvising and buying time.

In recent days Swope has made the rounds in the media and has shown a fiery, almost cocky personality which matches the burning passion he shows for the game. No other WR in the draft even approaches his level of intensity and competitiveness. If there was a guy I could guarantee you was on JS/PC's draft board at WR- this guy is it.

By the time I get to mock versions 6.0 and beyond, I'll probably just fill this space with typographer latin because I'll have talked about him so much.

4th round: Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central University Athletics

Even though Seattle has already taken two potential end rushers, I would not pass on Bryant. I think you have to find a place on your team for a guy with top 10 physical talent like Bryant.

5th round: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

In a crowed TE class, a quality option like Kelce could slip to the very early 5th (Seattle owns the 3rd pick in the 5th round). Kelce is a well rounded TE that has drawn some comparisons to Zach Miller. There was something about his tape that kept me from loving him- probably his lack of explosiveness or playmaking ability, but he's a good blocker and a natural TE. Would be a really nice option as a 3rd TE. I think Seattle will probably grab some freak like Chris Gragg instead, although it's worth noting that they dumped a seemingly able H-back TE in Kellen Winslow for a giant TE in Evan Moore.

5th round: Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri

Gooden is not on Pauline's top 160, although it probably will be when he updates post-combine. I think Gooden is one of the better 4-3 weakside linebackers in this draft. He's crazy fast on the field, and is a headstrong downhill playmaker similar to a young Leroy Hill, but with much better wheels. Like a rookie Hill, I see a lot of potential for Gooden as a blitzer as he is quite explosive. He'd make a nice weapon for Quinn if he backs up his words about being more aggressive in 2013.

Gooden sometimes lets tackles get by him and doesn't look as big on tape as his 234 pound weigh in suggest, but he's a really nice player that could give Seattle the perfect piece to complete their linebacker trio.

6th round: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, nonumes iudicabit reprehendunt ad sea, prima legimus nonumes in nam...

7th round: Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

Iudico tantas quidam quo cu. Pro te velit blandit, et quas signiferumque sit

7th round: Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra College

Iuvaret interpretaris mei ad, quaeque singulis vix te, at saperet admodum mei. Invidunt consectetuer sed an.

7th round: Abry Jones, DT, Georgia

After Cornelius Washington lit up the combine on Monday, I rushed to youtube to see if any compilations were available. There weren't. Thankfully, Washington played his football for Georgia which must have close to 10 players from that defense in this draft. As I watched compilations of other players while squinting for #83, I quickly found myself annoyed when his teammate wearing the #93 was making more plays than Washington was. Every time a play was made, I had to make sure it wasn't #93, and often times it was.

When a player that you didn't expect catches your attention, it can mean something. Ryan Swope forced me to notice him over and over again in 2011 and 2012 when I was breaking down Ryan Tannehill and Johnny Manziel. When breaking down Ryan Mallett it was consistently his halfback, Knile Davis, that kept stealing the show with Terrell Davis like dominance.

As it turns out, Georgia's #93 is a 308 pound, 6'3" 3-tech DT by the name of Abry Jones. A once highly touted recruit, Jones had a quiet career before registering 4 sacks and 7 tackles for loss in 2011. He was named the team's most improved player that year, and as a junior, he had the option to leave for the draft. Despite receiving a 3rd round draft grade from the advisory committee, Jones returned to school, only to be injured halfway though his senior season without registering a sack. Jones is now considered likely to be a 7th round pick, or go undrafted completely.

I'm not saying that Abry Jones is a hidden gem. He's a player I like, and I think that even if he's not a future 3-tech star, he could probably be another Alan Branch.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Not bad like the picks...although

I'd think long and hard about Jarvis Jones if I were PC/JS. There's no guarantees about Clemons next year either. Having to worry about one players return from an ACL and when to start him and how to take it easy, then having your #1 pick in the same position and worrying that one hit could potentially end his career.

I could see it, if we could count on a fully healthy Clemons.

Just my opinion, glad I don't have to make the choices.

aawolf

Reaction score
Sounds like a dream draft to me...If those guys fell to us, I'd be happy with pretty much all of those picks. We'd be building a dangerous team. I would take Kelce in the 4th before Bryant though---that kid is a knucklehead and I don't like him as a pick..if you sell weed at practice a few times, you'd be off my radar if I were a GM. I'd move up all the picks and get the players you listed below him and take a flyer on a promising OT in the last round.

bighawk

Reaction score
:idea: Maybe i need to see more video of John Simon but he does nothing for me. I would rather have Margus Hunt or Brandon Williams over him the rest of the draft is pretty good. I actually like Marcus Wheaton over Swope and wouldn't mind us drafting D.J. Fluker to go a RG or RT.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kip, I think something to remember when linking Pete to tight ends and receivers is their blocking.

How does Swope look when he blocks?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I don't see the angle of putting Simon as a DT/DE. He's a pure edge rusher for me. The NFL is trying to force him into a linebacker position, but his best fit is OLB for Pittsburgh as an edge rusher.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":20f9zvmc said:
I don't see the angle of putting Simon as a DT/DE. He's a pure edge rusher for me. The NFL is trying to force him into a linebacker position, but his best fit is OLB for Pittsburgh as an edge rusher.
Funny, I see a Karl Klug copy just waiting to be plugged in on third downs. Though I do admit he looks like an ideal 3-4 LB, if that linebacker never had to cover a tight end.

And there in lies the rub with Simon. At the senior bowl he looked AWFUL in space and coverage. In the NFL, all a team has to do is motion a tight end, or even a 2nd tight end to his side and make him play in space.

When I watch the guy, his best moments in college are in the middle, handfighting with guards. He plays so low and with so much leverage that most guards can't keep the feet together trying to block him. A non football comparison would be a MMA grappler. The closer he gets to you, the worse it is for you. Low man wins, right?

Also, lets just talk for a moment about his intangibles. He is going to play all out, even if his role is special teams. He is a weight room freak, and what locker room can't use that? I honestly like him as much for that stuff as his abilities. He gives off a Heath Farwell vibe.

Unique skills? Check.
Good teammate? Check.
Bad ass? Check.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Wow!

Any draft that nets us THREE legitimate potential pass rushers AND Swopes would have me believing in miracles. More than I already do.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1vm196fk said:
Also, lets just talk for a moment about his intangibles. He is going to play all out, even if his role is special teams. He is a weight room freak, and what locker room can't use that? I honestly like him as much for that stuff as his abilities. He gives off a Heath Farwell vibe.

Unique skills? Check.
Good teammate? Check.
Bad ass? Check.

Sounds like the perfect roommate and role-model for John Moffit. Draft him for that resin alone.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
That draft looks great. I would be super happy.

What if you switched out the 1st and 2nd picks with:

1st-Kawann Short or Datone Jones or Simon
2nd-Jamie Collins or Trevardo Williams

Would switching the 1st and 4th pick with these guys make any sense:

1st-Short
4th-Lemonier

Would Drafting a guy like Short and Simon in the same draft be too similar of players and not make sense? Maybe if they like Simon for the role Kearly is explaining and the other DT's they like are gone they trade out of the first round, move to the early/mid 2nd, draft Simon and add a 3rd round pick or something next season?

God I wish we could figure out a way to get Richardson. Dude sounds like a super stud 3T or 5T.

thehands816

Reaction score
Scottemojo":sbla4ude said:
Kip, I think something to remember when linking Pete to tight ends and receivers is their blocking.

Watch Swope come in at the end with a HUGE block. The more I see of this guy, the more I want him.

[youtube]z98pUqlr6Ew[/youtube]

thehands816

Reaction score
Hey Kip. Love all your posts and insights. One piece of feedback for ya...the green you use for your titles is impossible to read on an iPhone. Not sure if you've heard that or not, but thought you might like to know.

Thanks for all your hard work and input!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
thehands816":3epiazkw said:
Hey Kip. Love all your posts and insights. One piece of feedback for ya...the green you use for your titles is impossible to read on an iPhone. Not sure if you've heard that or not, but thought you might like to know.

Thanks for all your hard work and input!

Don't read it on an iPhone...

8)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":iqi6ckt9 said:

Definitely not Kearly, but I have a couple friends who are A&M fans. They said that blocking is one of the more underrated aspects of Swopes game. One said there could be a highlight reel of the big blocks he threw last year.

Take that with a grain of salt, they're big Aggie homers.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Kearly: I. LOVE. THIS. DRAFT.

Bravo sir, that would be an amazing weekend for the Hawks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":3gqplrl7 said:
The reason Jones isn't a top pick like Miller is because of a narrowing of the spine in his neck, which sounds a lot like the same injury that Peyton Manning had. If not the same injury, then certainly the same situation- one bad hit and it could be over.

As far as the morality argument, Jones is going to be playing the NFL whether we think it's right or not. It's not like he's going to get passed over 255 times. And besides, who are we to deny him a chance to follow his NFL dream, or making millions to support his loved ones? If he can play, let him.

Completely different injuries between Peyton and Jarvis but certainly very similar situations. But as with any football player, or actually any situation involving heavy, fast moving objects, all it takes is one bad hit.

IMHO, there is no morality argument, people end up paralyzed all of the time from accidents and physical deformities. It is next to impossible to predict when and where a paralyzing incident might occur. I barely missed being in a wheelchair and if it hadn't been for lower back pain which caused me to get an MRI, I never would have known until I was unable to walk. I was lucky.

To deny one's dreams because of the possibility of injury is foolhardy. A local CCHA hockey player will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair because of a hit on the ice. He said he has no regrets.

My argument is, if Jarvis Jones falls to you, you draft him. He just played 2 years in the SEC with no significant injuries and that means a lot. The potential far outweighs the risks. Show the kid that you believe in him because FWIW, I certainly do.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":21bie7is said:
theENGLISHseahawk":21bie7is said:
Funny, I see a Karl Klug copy just waiting to be plugged in on third downs. Though I do admit he looks like an ideal 3-4 LB, if that linebacker never had to cover a tight end.

And there in lies the rub with Simon. At the senior bowl he looked AWFUL in space and coverage. In the NFL, all a team has to do is motion a tight end, or even a 2nd tight end to his side and make him play in space.

When I watch the guy, his best moments in college are in the middle, handfighting with guards. He plays so low and with so much leverage that most guards can't keep the feet together trying to block him. A non football comparison would be a MMA grappler. The closer he gets to you, the worse it is for you. Low man wins, right?

Unique skills? Check.
Good teammate? Check.
Bad ass? Check.

The question is . . . Does he like girls?