Hawks won't cut Flynn, per nfl.com

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The best way to get a trade is to claim you're gonna' keep the guy. I seriously doubt they will keep him if they get a decent offer. We shall see.

kidhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1x6fozkh said:
According to nfl.com

Did you mean NFL Network or just forget to add the link?

EDIT: NVM, I found the link on the website

[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000146057/article/matt-flynn-will-not-be-released-by-seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks will not cut Matt Flynn. In fact, a team source insists the "priority" is to retain Flynn as Russell Wilson insurance since the starter is one of the league's best bargains.

The front office will entertain offers for Flynn, however, because they know he has designs on his own starting job. Although some teams have concerns over tendinitis in Flynn's throwing arm, two sources close to the quarterback assure Rapoport that the elbow is "absolutely fine."

JonRud

Reaction score
NFL.com says the Seahawks will not CUT Flynn [which makes total sense] but that they are open to offers for him. If they get a great offer they might trade him.

The title of this thread is totally misleading.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think this is what we were all already assuming (won't cut, will listen to offers), even when some reporter floated that unsubstantiated rumor that Seattle was expected to cut him.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Oh we'll cut him, but not until our new rookie beats him out for the #2 job during preseason.

sutz

Reaction score
Since there is no overpowering need to cut him, this makes sense. Not many trades happen during FA, teams are focused elsewhere. We'll see if the team gets trade offers as the draft nears, or after. Who knows, some team might have their starter go down in camp and be desperate enough to make an offer we can't refuse for Flynn. Especially if we find a capable backup in the draft, we could deal hiim this summer.

But release him? Doesn't make sense.

:229031_shrug:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":38c0yona said:
even when some reporter floated that unsubstantiated rumor that Seattle was expected to cut him.

You mean an opinion expressed by Peter King during an interview, one of the best NFL reporters in the biz?

No offense to Ian Rapoport, but he's trying to crack the national scene. He's the guy the Network brought in to replace Jason La Canfora (moved to CBS) who himself replaced Adam Schefter. So while everything he says could be perfectly legit, he could also being used to try and spark a non-existent market. Either way, whatever. Flynn's either our backup or he's not. I look forward to one day not really giving a crap who the backup is.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":27xo4bk3 said:
Of course we aren't going to just cut him. Anyone that thought otherwise was having a brain fart.
Sanity speaks,,,,Thank You.

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":ekrjqxp2 said:
Since there is no overpowering need to cut him, this makes sense. Not many trades happen during FA, teams are focused elsewhere. We'll see if the team gets trade offers as the draft nears, or after. Who knows, some team might have their starter go down in camp and be desperate enough to make an offer we can't refuse for Flynn. Especially if we find a capable backup in the draft, we could deal hiim this summer.

But release him? Doesn't make sense.

:229031_shrug:

Well if you want to sign Richard Seymore and Revis you have to dump salary, everyone here says so. :) After all a 2nd string QB isn't worth ANYTHING to a team and can't help them if a starter goes down.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's already a thread on Flynn's future for this thread hungry board.

Largent80

Reaction score
We should swap with kc, They get Flynn, we get Smith and a 2nd rounder. Then we trade Smith to Jax for another 2nd. :shock:

mikeak

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":11z8rpnc said:
DavidSeven":11z8rpnc said:
even when some reporter floated that unsubstantiated rumor that Seattle was expected to cut him.

You mean an opinion expressed by Peter King during an interview, one of the best NFL reporters in the biz?

No offense to Ian Rapoport, but he's trying to crack the national scene. He's the guy the Network brought in to replace Jason La Canfora (moved to CBS) who himself replaced Adam Schefter. So while everything he says could be perfectly legit, he could also being used to try and spark a non-existent market. Either way, whatever. Flynn's either our backup or he's not. I look forward to one day not really giving a crap who the backup is.

It never made sense to cut Flynn now. The savings simply don't justify the risk. Now for 2014 I see it and I get a trade. Cutting just doesn't pencil out.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":1j6xk1sc said:
Since there is no overpowering need to cut him, this makes sense. Not many trades happen during FA, teams are focused elsewhere. We'll see if the team gets trade offers as the draft nears, or after.

Exactly what I see. I don't believe anything will happen with Flynn until them and very likely ON draft day. There will be teams looking at him as a potential starter if they don't see/get what they want. I don't expect the Seahawks to get the Smith trade out of it, but possibly packaged with another pick they can move up somewhere.

If they don't get the value, they are going to keep him, but I can see a team getting concerned and viewing Flynn as their starter.

Latest posts