What is the REAL cause of road troubles?

Steve2222

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":tx2lqef7 said:
I think historically, our guys had a tendency to party while on the road. I recall hearing third party accounts of seeing our guys in the bars and VIPs late, the night before a road game.

I have a really hard time believing this. I thought that the players were on full lock down saturday night with staff guarding the halls, making sure no one gets in or out.

BBHawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":544bc6am said:
We are mediocre. Mediocre teams lose on the road.

I know that seams overly simple but good, strong, dominant football teams have an excellent chance of winning anywhere.

Us not so much.. We just aren't good enough.

In what universe is this Seahawks team "mediocre?" A top five defense and a top ten offense in points scored does not equal mediocre. This is a good team playing in what is arguably the toughest division in the NFL right now. The problem might be that they get so used to the advantage of our incredibly loud crowd that there's a letdown on the road when it's not there to disrupt the opposition's offense. For a team like the Niners, it's usually just not that huge a difference because the home crowd sucks compared to ours in the way of making noise.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
BBHawks":3mrib5je said:
Tech Worlds":3mrib5je said:

I know that seams overly simple but good, strong, dominant football teams have an excellent chance of winning anywhere.

In what universe is this Seahawks team "mediocre?" A top five defense and a top ten offense in points scored does not equal mediocre. This is a good team playing in what is arguably the toughest division in the NFL right now. The problem might be that they get so used to the advantage of our incredibly loud crowd that there's a letdown on the road when it's not there to disrupt the opposition's offense. For a team like the Niners, it's usually just not that huge a difference because the home crowd sucks compared to ours in the way of making noise.

Historically, the medicore label fits perfectly. The question/OP is asking what has been the cause of our road woes over time, not necessarily how we are right this minute.

Alas, losing in Detroit and Miami last season showed it's still a bugaboo. They got better after that, but it's not like we can puff our chests out yet.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's about to change, Hawks will go 4-4 on the road next year, I'll take it. They have proven that THIS team can win on the road. Russell Wilson is the X factor, he keeps us in every game, and will continue to. I wouldn't be shocked if they won 5, although the road schedule is pretty tough.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
good teams over the years have relied on dominating at home 8-0 and splitting their away games at least for a 12-4 record. Holds true even for East coast power houses. 12-4 this year would have meant the #2 seed and San Francisco coming to the Clink for the NFC. Have to begin there and work forward. I would avoid the 13-3 record curse though, you want to be 12-4 or 14-2.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. It's hard to think about the fact that we were a half flippen game from winning the division. Especially when the Rams got clearly shafted in that tie.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
BBHawks":1isl12z3 said:
Tech Worlds":1isl12z3 said:

LOL!
He posted that assessment in October of last year, when that argument could still be made. :cool:

Some of y'all need to look before you leap. :ugeek:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think we played really well on the road last year. Well enough to be in a position to win every single one.

drdiags

Reaction score
BBHawks":bh8maznv said:
Tech Worlds":bh8maznv said:

Look at the date the post was made (like the previous poster pointed out before I failed to read it ... ha ha!)

This is an old thread someone brought back to life. Back then the team was on to its way to a 4-4 first half. The debate among some was whether Flynn needed to get time because the offense was so limited. That and Tech is a contrarian. Doesn't like rainbows and sunshine blown up his butt.

Largent80

Reaction score
Road games to SF are like a drive to Chelan from Seattle, no excuses there, same can be said for AZ, and we play both of them every year on the road.

Going back east it's a little different with Seattle being the furthest away from anywhere. But, this is still a lame excuse, and if you have the horses the cart will be pulled.

HUGGY

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1pnjsg7p said:
It's about to change, Hawks will go 4-4 on the road next year, I'll take it. They have proven that THIS team can win on the road. Russell Wilson is the X factor, he keeps us in every game, and will continue to. I wouldn't be shocked if they won 5, although the road schedule is pretty tough.

Really? 4-4 ? Who do you predict will beat the 2013 Seahawks on the road?

Axx

Reaction score
stop making excuses, 100 yards is a 100 yards.

but on a serious note, Pete might never admit it but Jet Lag is a real thing
Jet lag isn’t caused by the length of time you travel but by the amount of time zones you cross. The more zones you cross, the more jet lag you experience.

- Jet lag only happens when you travel from east to west or west to east, not in any other cardinal direction

- The effects of jet lag have more of an impact if you travel from west to east (not east to west), because the day will feel longer than usual.

- Jet lag is not likely to occur if you only cross one or two time zones. However, it’s not entirely unknown for some people to be sensitive to just one.

- The older someone is, the more impactful the effects of jet lag can be and therefore the longer the body will take to bounce back to its rhythm.

- According to experts, the brain receives less oxygen when a person travels by plane, which might increase the chances of any jet lag problems becoming harsher.

http://onestep4ward.com/science-jet-lagwhat-travel/

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think I figured out a strategy to watch the seahawks road games, if it is a 10 am game, I will start watching it after half time, because that is where all the excitement is:)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
It's very simple. Teams that win consistently on the road are overall good teams with a running game, defense and typically high rated QB. The Seahawks have not had that combination since 2005, when they lost 3 road games and really the last one was a gimme because Holmgren sat the starters. The 2012 team started winning on the road not long after the legend was started. If those early losses against STL, SF and AZ were replayed it is very likely that they win those games considering it was they muted offense that lost them. The Detroit and Miami losses were on the defense late.

No way does the 2011 or 2010 team beat the Skins or comeback in ATL.

Road wins can come from luck too, a good bounce here and there. The Seahawks were much better on the road this year, but it didn't show in their road record, just like the 2011 Hawks were better than the 2010 team, but it just wasn't enough to get over the hump. PC has improved this team immensely over 3 years and he still isn't done yet.

The biggest reason the Hawks will win more on the road next year is RW.

Axx

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2gxg3489 said:
It's very simple. Teams that win consistently on the road are overall good teams with a running game, defense and typically high rated QB. The Seahawks have not had that combination since 2005, when they lost 3 road games and really the last one was a gimme because Holmgren sat the starters. The 2012 team started winning on the road not long after the legend was started. If those early losses against STL, SF and AZ were replayed it is very likely that they win those games considering it was they muted offense that lost them. The Detroit and Miami losses were on the defense late.

No way does the 2011 or 2010 team beat the Skins or comeback in ATL.

Road wins can come from luck too, a good bounce here and there. The Seahawks were much better on the road this year, but it didn't show in their road record, just like the 2011 Hawks were better than the 2010 team, but it just wasn't enough to get over the hump. PC has improved this team immensely over 3 years and he still isn't done yet.

The biggest reason the Hawks will win more on the road next year is RW.

I agree with this post the most, I think the reason we sucked on the road is not really for a other reason that we just flat out sucked in general.

HUGGY

Reaction score
Most teams including the Seahawks design a different game plan for away games than at home. They think consrvative. The play "not to lose"..They do not play with abandon to win like the Hawks do at home.

What the Seahawks need to know is that we really are with them ANYWHERE they play.

No conquering force in human history like the Romans and many other civilizations fought to "not lose". They fought like the eyes of their citizens were upon them at all times. They fought without fear.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It's not the travel or jet lag from travel. In football home-field advantage is created by conscious and unconscious referee bias, body-clock issues, and for the unprepared, crowd noise. We "struggle" on the road because every team "struggles" on the road and no matter how well we can feasibly play on the road, it will always pale in comparison to how well we play at home. This is a non-issue!

HUGGY

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":21vdqf4x said:
It's not the travel or jet lag from travel. In football home-field advantage is created by conscious and unconscious referee bias, body-clock issues, and for the unprepared, crowd noise. We "struggle" on the road because every team "struggles" on the road and no matter how well we can feasibly play on the road, it will always pale in comparison to how well we play at home. This is a non-issue!

Only if you were a member of the 72 Dolphins.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The Radish":17aoh1st said:
I've traveled for years and have said many times that going east is way harder on your mind than traveling west. The difference in teams in those different directions used to be pretty extensive. I know there are those that don't believe this but it sure mattered to me and the sales people I worked with. We'd be mentally beat for about 24 hours.

Last year Pete went a day early to 3 hour, 10am games and it seemed to help. I don't have the answer but it seems to me that Pete has the team more ready to play.

:les:

"going east is way harder on your mind than traveling west" Yup!!! So very true