The two players I'd hate to leave this draft without

scutterhawk

Reaction score
What I noticed most about Simon was his focus on where the ball was at all times, and even with his quick spin moves, his eyes drew right back to the ball.
His spin is executed with textbook precission.
What the Huston Oilers were mistaken with on Steve Largent, was that it wasn't Largent that was lacking ability to catch the ball, it was that they didn't have the Quarterback neccessary to get the ball to him.
Swopes numbers at the Combine (especially his 40 times) will make scouts and other talent evaluators go back and review his game tapes, and like some others, I too believe that he won't make it to the 3rd round either.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Last year I was really dialed into the draft, but this year I'm completely clueless. It probably has something to do with not really feeling any huge glaring needs that need to be addressed in the draft like I did last year, and the fact that the one thing I think we DO need - a real bad ass penetrating 3tech - doesn't seem to have a lot of great candidates this year. So thanks for giving me some names to keep an ear open for in the draft this year.

As for your reservations on screaming Russell's name from the mountain top before the draft last year... it's human nature to hedge your bets. I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad on that. I (like a lot of other people I think) didn't get on the Russell bandwagon until the KC game in pre-season (though I musered the courage to at least go stand next to it after the Denver game). It's very well documented that you were likely one of the first people outside of the Hawks FO or Russell's immediate family to get on the Russell Wilson bandwagon, so you've still earned crazy mad internet street cred for calling that shot long before anyone else.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Meh, to me he sounds like the perfect Steeler/Raven in the making. The people up there would love the way he speaks about the game. He's very robotic. Most of the Hawks have a ton of personality, so while he'd be a great player and possibly fit in, he wouldn't even get more airtime than John Moffitt, and that's a fact haha...

As far as Russell Wilson being a robot is concerned, he's allowed to be a robot on this team because he's the franchise quarterback and that's EXACTLY the type of personality this team needed to take them to the top. Can 2 robots coexist in one locker room?

Maybe we'll find out.

NYCoug

Reaction score
CANHawk":17jmuw8b said:
Last year I was really dialed into the draft, but this year I'm completely clueless. It probably has something to do with not really feeling any huge glaring needs that need to be addressed in the draft like I did last year, and the fact that the one thing I think we DO need - a real bad ass penetrating 3tech - doesn't seem to have a lot of great candidates this year. So thanks for giving me some names to keep an ear open for in the draft this year.

As for your reservations on screaming Russell's name from the mountain top before the draft last year... it's human nature to hedge your bets. I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad on that. I (like a lot of other people I think) didn't get on the Russell bandwagon until the KC game in pre-season (though I musered the courage to at least go stand next to it after the Denver game). It's very well documented that you were likely one of the first people outside of the Hawks FO or Russell's immediate family to get on the Russell Wilson bandwagon, so you've still earned crazy mad internet street cred for calling that shot long before anyone else.

Truth.

CAN, I think your lack of interest in the Draft this season probably has to do with the fact that no one really knows who's going to be good from this group for sure. *I'm part of this group, just wanted to clarify* They could all be a pile of crap or a pile of gold and no one really knows right now, so people are throwing out every name possible so that just in case we do draft the dude, we at least won't say "who the !?!? is that?!?!" or "really?! Him?! At that value?!?!" for the 4th year in a row.

I'm getting hyped for the draft because it's a Seahawks Draft and I follow/think about this team at a frightening level and what else is there really to do in late April, really? And it's NYC so I get to go to it and sit there in a lifeless sea of humanity.

But if these factors weren't in play I'd probably be just like you. Uninterested in the draft.

hawksman53

Reaction score
I didnt see a single thing that impressive with John Simon in those highlights. I saw a guy getting through the line against Illinois and getting no tackles, getting pushed to the ground etc..

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Regarding Largent, it wasn't really meant to be an exact comparison. I didn't say he was a "Largent clone." They have a ton of similar traits and I see a lot of "special" when I watch Swope.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":3mwy3jqc said:
Regarding Largent, it wasn't really meant to be an exact comparison. I didn't say he was a "Largent clone." They have a ton of similar traits and I see a lot of "special" when I watch Swope.

Granted -- there is (and ever will be) only 1 Steve Largent. But what I am most intrigued by is whether or not he has that same (or similar) kind of cutting ability -- say on running an out route, the ability to go full bore ... and then on a dime cut 90 degrees to the sideline. If he's got that (or close to that) ability ... good hands (maybe not exactly Largent stick-um hands, but close) ... and 4.35 Speed -- sign me up baby! What about his cutting ability? Are we talking something similar for Swope?

CANHawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":sjt1ndy4 said:
CANHawk":sjt1ndy4 said:

Truth.

CAN, I think your lack of interest in the Draft this season probably has to do with the fact that no one really knows who's going to be good from this group for sure. *I'm part of this group, just wanted to clarify* They could all be a pile of crap or a pile of gold and no one really knows right now, so people are throwing out every name possible so that just in case we do draft the dude, we at least won't say "who the !?!? is that?!?!" or "really?! Him?! At that value?!?!" for the 4th year in a row.

I'm getting hyped for the draft because it's a Seahawks Draft and I follow/think about this team at a frightening level and what else is there really to do in late April, really? And it's NYC so I get to go to it and sit there in a lifeless sea of humanity.

But if these factors weren't in play I'd probably be just like you. Uninterested in the draft.

Word.

Thing is... I really WANT to be interested, but every time I go to look at the draft sites, mock drafts and such that i had so much fun looking at this time last year, I just kind of look at all the names and say 'who are these dudes anyway?'. I guess all the big names in last years draft kinda spoiled this year. That and I started scoping out hawks draft picks in about November last year on account of the holes. No holes this year. Good problem to have. Obsessing about the draft hoping for the saviour is something fans of crappy teams need to worry about. We got our guys now.

I think Pete was right when he said that last years draft will be the defining draft of his tenure here.

SuperHawks

Reaction score
Swope is definitely growing on me and I do feel like I'm watching Welker when I watch his film, and not just because he's white as you pointed out. Not sure I like him at #25 but I certainly wouldn't mind him at #58.

Simon however I just don't see it, at least as a DT. He'd make a fine 3-4 OLB though and as stated earlier he looks like he'd be right up the Steelers/Pats alley.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SuperHawks":1fzgkawo said:
Simon however I just don't see it, at least as a DT. He'd make a fine 3-4 OLB though and as stated earlier he looks like he'd be right up the Steelers/Pats alley.

I think he'll be drafted by a 3-4 team to play OLB. But I also think 4-3 teams that overlook him might be making a big mistake.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CANHawk":z5sueaup said:
Last year I was really dialed into the draft, but this year I'm completely clueless. It probably has something to do with not really feeling any huge glaring needs that need to be addressed in the draft like I did last year, and the fact that the one thing I think we DO need - a real bad ass penetrating 3tech - doesn't seem to have a lot of great candidates this year.

That's too bad. This is the most exciting draft ever for me. Excluding Irvin and Wilson, who I didn't expect to be 1st round options, there might be 10 players I like more this year at #25 than I liked of any of the #12 options last year. Extremely strong late first round this year, and some really good players will go early 2nd as well. SF is really set up having two picks in that range. Going to be hard for Baalke to screw it up like he did last year.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1wknchqs said:
CANHawk":1wknchqs said:
Last year I was really dialed into the draft, but this year I'm completely clueless. It probably has something to do with not really feeling any huge glaring needs that need to be addressed in the draft like I did last year, and the fact that the one thing I think we DO need - a real bad ass penetrating 3tech - doesn't seem to have a lot of great candidates this year.

That's too bad. This is the most exciting draft ever for me. Excluding Irvin and Wilson, who I didn't expect to be 1st round options, there might be 10 players I like more this year at #25 than I liked of any of the #12 options last year. Extremely strong late first round this year, and some really good players will go early 2nd as well. SF is really set up having two picks in that range. Going to be hard for Baalke to screw it up like he did last year.

Well i will defer to your wisdom my draft wise brutha. I'm sure that now that the draft hype machine is about to hit it's post combine stride, i'll likely get more interestrd as the coverage starts picking up.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Seems like the best players are the least hyped this year. I think that's often the case, but never to this extent. Reminds me a lot of 2009 when the top 12 picks or so were mostly disasters, but after that it was a hit parade.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I really liked this play by Swope going up to grab the ball in traffic and then not just going down because of a big hit. It probably was a little lucky because he got hit from behind as well, but still, great play. I like his acceleration after the catch too. He gets up to speed fast.

iW48VNW4fuxS8.gif

GCrow

Reaction score
bigtrain21":28n4q29u said:
I really liked this play by Swope going up to grab the ball in traffic and then not just going down because of a big hit. It probably was a little lucky because he got hit from behind as well, but still, great play. I like his acceleration after the catch too. He gets up to speed fast.

Reminds me a bit of Anquan Boldin

GCrow

Reaction score
Haven't watched or read to much about Swope, but I def remember when watching A&M beat Alabama and kept hearing his name late whenever a big play was needed and made.

Two q's for people who've watched him; Whats his route running like? also anyone consider him body catcher with those tiny hands?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I hadn't run any tape on Simon yet, until you published this article. He really jumps off the tape. High motor guy. I love him.

Not sure as a 3/5 tech but I believe he could be if he added 10 lbs.

lukerguy

Reaction score
hawksman53":2vqsov9c said:
I didnt see a single thing that impressive with John Simon in those highlights. I saw a guy getting through the line against Illinois and getting no tackles, getting pushed to the ground etc..

Go watch Penn St 2012 and Nebraska 2012 then.