I would be surprised if DeAndre Hopkins ends up a Seahawk

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
kearly":17loj2lk said:
GoHawks":17loj2lk said:
Jesus Montero - please pick up the white phone

?
Kip - If you weren't aware, Jesus Montero (Mariners catcher) is notorious slow and would benefit from your statements that running speed can be improved.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
We know that Seattle breaks down their draft into "pockets." Last year for example, they had pass rush very early, RB in round 1-3 (then forced to go 4th round), QB 4-6 (forced to go 3rd round), etc.

I suspect Seattle's "zone" table probably looks like this:

Pass rush: 1st round, rounds 3-5. I think Seattle will draft at least 2 pass rushers, one very early and a second in the middle rounds. If Richardson or Short are there, I'd be stunned if Seattle passed.

Red Bryant backup: rounds 3-7. A big 5-tech. Optional pick, but could happen if they really like a guy.

Wide receiver: rounds 2-4. Seattle might draft a second WR even later. I could see Seattle going WR in round one if they don't like the pass rush options there.

Tight end: rounds 2-6. Chris Gragg in round 5 or round 6 sounds about right.

Quarterback: rounds 4-7. UDFA a possibility.

Offensive tackle: rounds 3-7.

Corner: rounds 6-7.

Safety: rounds 6-7, barring someone like Vaccaro reaching #25.

Linebacker: rounds 2-5.

An example of what that draft might look like:

1st: DT
2nd: WR
3rd: DE
4th: LB
5th: T
5th: TE
6th: QB
7th: CB
7th: S
7th: WR #2 or DE #2 or 5-tech

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":32jsx9qx said:
kearly":32jsx9qx said:
GoHawks":32jsx9qx said:
Jesus Montero - please pick up the white phone

?
Kip - If you weren't aware, Jesus Montero (Mariners catcher) is notorious slow and would benefit from your statements that running speed can be improved.

Oh I know who Montero is. My statement was about guys going from HS to NCAA, so I didn't see the relevance with Montero. Montero is screwed in the speed category. Although as a catcher/1B/DH, speed isn't really a big deal. Hopefully Montero turns into a solid hitter. That's why they traded for him.

bigfatguy64

Reaction score
aawolf":2dupnojr said:
Scottemojo":2dupnojr said:
Like Kip, I don't see Hopkins as the pick, but not because of a lack of athleticism. I could see them taking him later in the draft because they like his unique skills, just not the first. I think they won't take a first round WR unless he is a can't miss freak.

Hopkins reminds me of John Carlson. He is what he is, not much development needed. High floor, safe pick.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with both you and Kearly about Hopkin's value or his "ceiling". I think this dude is a flat-out playmaker and I want him more than Swope or Austin. The difference is that I saw Hopkins as the guy in Clemson's offense that you just knew was going to get the ball on third down somehow, and yet defenses just couldn't stop it. He was similar to NC State legend, Torry Holt, in this regard. You just knew he would make a play when it mattered. I'm sure Austin and Swope would be fine picks, but they didn't even get the most yards on their teams (Mike Evans at A&M got more receptions and yards than Swope and Steadman Bailey got more yards and an equal number of receptions at WVU). I'm just saying that I think Hopkins is more of a game-breaker than these two and I still feel he's worthy of our first round pick.

I'd trade up to get any of them in the second if we can get an earlier pick though.

The Austin-Bailey yardage/receptions number is a little bit skewed because Austin spent a good portion of time at RB the back half of the season because of WVU's struggling run game. (72carry for 643yds and 3tds...although really, it should be more carries/yards and less rec/yards because of that touch pass jet sweep)

Bailey and Hopkins are more comparable than Hopkins-Austin though. Stedman runs good routes and just flat out knows how to get open....and despite not being a freakish athlete, he's able to use his body to maintain position. Plus his hands are covered in super glue. He catches everything.

Tavon really improved his hands this year, and has gotten a lot better in his role as a slot guy... I wouldn't call him the over the top/deep threat/home run hitter type...he's got the speed to burn guys, but he's not going to outjump a lot of people 1 on 1. Sticking with baseball terms, he's the guy that steals home. In the words of....Maroon 5...he's got them moves like Jagger. He's got a few jukes he pulls that I've never seen before.

His value isn't in his pure slot ability though...it's in his utility. He could replace an aging Washington in the return game and handle a few carrys a game as a change of pace back after beastmode wears a defense down