LEAVE RED ALONE!!

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1k3uexa0 said:
Define athletic, because Red is pretty athletic. Sherm specifically mentioned him for chasing down Kaep from behind. He's one of the strongest players on the team and has surprising agility.

I like the way you think . . .

chris98251

Reaction score
They really just need someone for depth that has the attributes of Red, If I remember correctly the new D coord is more aggressive in what he calls also. That alone lends to more blitz and stunt packages I am thinking. We will see the same defense used more aggressively I think next year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":15yvyw23 said:
(Disclaimer: swear words in this video)
[youtube]kHmvkRoEowc[/youtube]
LOLOL!!, I almost got a lump in my pants, er..I mean throat after watching that U-TUBER on the girls defending Britanys screw ups,,Hell, who knows?, maybe Britany has a planters thingy too eh? :16:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1dg1bb75 said:
I still have a problem with the scheme. Because Red brings no pass rush healthy or not, we relied all too often on getting it from only one player: Clemons. That did not work. The pass rush has to be improved, and Red's role needs to be reassessed.

I think that's why it's so important that we find a pass rushing DT like Pete had at USC in Sedrick Ellis. If the five technique isn't going to rush we need one of our tackles to win 1 on 1 :)

McGruff

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2x2vnqk8 said:
Missing_Clink":2x2vnqk8 said:
I still have a problem with the scheme. Because Red brings no pass rush healthy or not, we relied all too often on getting it from only one player: Clemons. That did not work. The pass rush has to be improved, and Red's role needs to be reassessed.

I think that's why it's so important that we find a pass rushing DT like Pete had at USC in Sedrick Ellis. If the five technique isn't going to rush we need one of our tackles to win 1 on 1 :)
This.

Pete's defense has historically relied on ONE inside pass rusher (LEO) and one interior pass rusher (3 tech). I suspect that is what they will be shooting for. Also Pete has almost always had a run stuffing end. Yeah, it would be great for Red to bring SOMETHING as a pass rusher, but when healthy he's the best run defending end in the game, and I suspect we'd lose more than we'd gain.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Define athletic, because Red is pretty athletic. Sherm specifically mentioned him for chasing down Kaep from behind. He's one of the strongest players on the team and has surprising agility.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ccj24wj said:
I called it on Red years ago but did any of you listen?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Did you officially mention it? Did you monitor the situation? Didn't think so.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":3o44hbrh said:
That type of foot injury tends to linger, and operating on it is generally a last resort. Even when he was healthy he was really hurting the pass rush. IMO, the team needs to start discussing options at his spot this offseason, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was some "competition" there next summer. His big contract puts a target on his back too.
and that's a bummer because when Red got here I was all excited for him. I'd like to see him succeed.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
If the Saints cut Will Smith would you guys kick the tires on him? He's got the size to play the 5 technique and would be an upgrade as a pass rusher, on the other hand his productivity is way down.

jdblack

Reaction score
He was really bad in 2012. If he is the same player, then he should be cut. We can replace 2012 Red Bryant with a late round pick or a minimum salary free agent. If he returns to 2011 form, then he should be kept.

I think we just have to wait and see.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's pretty simple. For two strait years now we've seen teams roll to Red's side and often only get a RB or TE on him just to slow him down. Too often they can even roll naked to that side and he still can't get there. He doesn't have the burst to close on the QB and we have empirical evidence of such. In our need to improve the pass rush that just isn't going to cut it even on 1st and 2nd. Heavy run downs he can still play 5, but he's not going to survive long term at 5 here.

PC/JS had once brought up the fact that he's long legged and it would be useful to get him outside. People here seem to be stuck on that. However, this is not a rule for playing 3 tech and Red will have to play some there to earn that check and stick around. We all love Big Red, but this is going to come down to business if we can't get our money out of that deal. I'm betting Branch leaves in FA and Red takes over 3 tech while they also draft another 3 tech prospect that can rush the passer. I'm almost thinking right now that Scruggs starts at 5, but gets competition from Jaye Howard. Both players will get time at 5 and 3, but I think Scruggs really comes on as a 5. Running a 4.67/4.69 40 with that kind of agility for a 285 pounder with long limbs and strength at the POA to play some 3 tech isn't common. Howard is no slouch athletically. His measurables were right there with Fletcher Cox in the combine last year and it shows up on tape. I watch him make a tackle of the TE 30 yards down the sideline. He can move too.

I also see on tape that we're significantly weaker in the A gaps when McDonald comes in for Mebane when he needs a breather. We could use a more stout backup 1 tech and there are a couple of guys in the draft this year that can be had on day 2 that can do that. Maybe even day 3, but we'll see.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1b6glxf8 said:
It's pretty simple. For two strait years now we've seen teams roll to Red's side and often only get a RB or TE on him just to slow him down. Too often they can even roll naked to that side and he still can't get there. He doesn't have the burst to close on the QB and we have empirical evidence of such. In our need to improve the pass rush that just isn't going to cut it even on 1st and 2nd. Heavy run downs he can still play 5, but he's not going to survive long term at 5 here.

PC/JS had once brought up the fact that he's long legged and it would be useful to get him outside. People here seem to be stuck on that. However, this is not a rule for playing 3 tech and Red will have to play some there to earn that check and stick around. We all love Big Red, but this is going to come down to business if we can't get our money out of that deal. I'm betting Branch leaves in FA and Red takes over 3 tech while they also draft another 3 tech prospect that can rush the passer. I'm almost thinking right now that Scruggs starts at 5, but gets competition from Jaye Howard. Both players will get time at 5 and 3, but I think Scruggs really comes on as a 5. Running a 4.67/4.69 40 with that kind of agility for a 285 pounder with long limbs and strength at the POA to play some 3 tech isn't common. Howard is no slouch athletically. His measurables were right there with Fletcher Cox in the combine last year and it shows up on tape. I watch him make a tackle of the TE 30 yards down the sideline. He can move too.

I also see on tape that we're significantly weaker in the A gaps when McDonald comes in for Mebane when he needs a breather. We could use a more stout backup 1 tech and there are a couple of guys in the draft this year that can be had on day 2 that can do that. Maybe even day 3, but we'll see.

I agree. Especially with the last paragraph. One more thumper at 1 tech would really help. As fas as 5&3 go, I'm really anxious to see how much Scruggs improves in year two. He and Howard have been inconsistent, which is not uncommon for yr 1. I don't know as much about Howard, but Scruggs strikes me as a light-weight version of Tez. I would like to see what happens if he hits the weights hard.