My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 am
  • Lets try and see if I can make one of these cool little mocks with videos n stuff.

    Round 1 - Kewann Short, DT, Purdue. We need a constant presence at the 3-tech instead of these one trick guys like Branch & Jones (hurts to say that because I love what Jones brings).



    Round 2 - Jordan Reed TE, Florida. For some reason, I'm still not sold on Miller, and I don't think he's worth that $11m he's about to get paid if he's on the roster for for the 2014 season, with how many young studs on our defense we surely want to retain, could Miller be a casualty?


    vs. T A&M

    This is really the only extended video I can find of him on youtube, Reed looks like a pretty good blocker and from all accounts has pretty nice speed.

    Round 3. Darius Slay CB, Miss State. One thing I've learned over the past 3 drafts of this regime, is expect the unexpected, Darius Slay would add some pretty stiff competition at nickle, maybe end up on the outside, thats totally dependent on Browner's future with the team.


    Based of his name alone and this video, I really want this guy. I'm sure someone in this forum will talk me off the ledge.

    Round 4, Stansly Mponga, DE, TCU. Another dude I really like, I think if he became a Hawk, we might've found someone to compete with Irvin for Clemons spot as the starter, I'm not giving up on Irvin, but I think we need to look at other guys as a "just in case this doesn't work out like we hope" scenario.


    vs. Kansas State, you can see him against a lot of runs and read options, you make your own analysis.

    You make the picks for the last 3 rounds.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19021
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 am
  • I can't get past "for some reason, I'm still not sold on Miller, and I don't think he's worth that $11m he's about to get paid".

    :141847_bnono:

    :34853_doh:

    Miller is incredibly valuable to this offense, both from a blocking standpoint and now as a receiving threat once they figured out they can throw him more than 2 dump-offs every game. I agree he is expensive, but he's a cornerstone of the offense IMO. You see how this offense is evolving with him as a featured weapon. He had a monster game against the Falcons, all the while playing with a torn plantar fascia.

    Alas, I wouldn't be surprised if they added a young, athletic TE to compete with McCoy, Morrah and McGrath. I'm not sure if that guy is Reed.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7445
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 am
  • $11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19021
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 am
  • Throwdown wrote:$11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.


    It is a lot of money. I'm not sure it's worth it, but my angle is more from how much I think the team values him and that they will think he is worth it. They might restructure his deal... but they won't just release him outright, it would cost way too much and you lose a great player.

    Miller and Rice are both very expensive, but they are are also very important. I could see them drafting a TE, but not as a replacement for Miller - just someone to strengthen the overall position.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7445
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:44 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:$11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.


    It is a lot of money. I'm not sure it's worth it, but my angle is more from how much I think the team values him and that they will think he is worth it. They might restructure his deal... but they won't just release him outright, it would cost way too much and you lose a great player.

    Miller and Rice are both very expensive, but they are are also very important. I could see them drafting a TE, but not as a replacement for Miller - just someone to strengthen the overall position.


    That's a fair point.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19021
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 am
  • Throwdown wrote:$11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.


    It's a lot of mo ey, and he's probably not worth it. But we have plenty of cap, very few free agents, and little reason to dump salaries this year.

    Incidentally, the mock itself isn't off the wall or outside the box at all.
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1556
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Blaine, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 am
  • The Schneider system seems to look at the depth chart just a little differently. Instead of a 'starter/backup' mentality, they seem to have a more 'now/future' way of looking at it. Yes, have great players now, but always have an eye on the future, because any player may only be here for another year or so.

    I think of it as a college aligned mindset. Just assume that your roster is going to turn over 25% every year. Assume that for all position groups and players, regardless of talent level or value. Eventually even the best players are gone. Then, work like hell to prevent your best players from getting away and always keep looking for that next great guy to step up. Never assume that the guys that are here now will still be here after their current contract is up. Always keep drafting those guys that will push the current players to play better to retain their jobs.

    Drafting a good, solid, even elite TE makes sense, regardless of Miller's future. Miller is a key asset and will almost certainly play here in 2011. Adding more playmaker ability at TE is never a bad idea.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 9971
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Monroe, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am
  • sutz wrote:The Schneider system seems to look at the depth chart just a little differently. Instead of a 'starter/backup' mentality, they seem to have a more 'now/future' way of looking at it. Yes, have great players now, but always have an eye on the future, because any player may only be here for another year or so.

    I think of it as a college aligned mindset. Just assume that your roster is going to turn over 25% every year. Assume that for all position groups and players, regardless of talent level or value. Eventually even the best players are gone. Then, work like hell to prevent your best players from getting away and always keep looking for that next great guy to step up. Never assume that the guys that are here now will still be here after their current contract is up. Always keep drafting those guys that will push the current players to play better to retain their jobs.

    Drafting a good, solid, even elite TE makes sense, regardless of Miller's future. Miller is a key asset and will almost certainly play here in 2011. Adding more playmaker ability at TE is never a bad idea.


    Odds of Miller playing here in 2011 is 100%.
    <A>
    <IMG></A>
    User avatar
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1556
    Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
    Location: Blaine, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 am
  • I think Miller is extremely valuable but $11 mil is a lot. I think he will restructure before next season. It'd be nice if we could lower his cap hit t $8 or $9mil.

    Your mock is fairy similar to the one I made in cover-2's post a few days back and the one Kearly put up. Looks like great minds think alike.


    1. Kanwaan Short DT
    2. Khaseem Green OLB (Brown)
    3. Josh Reed TE (Escobar, McDonald)
    3. Aaron Dobson WR (Hunter, Rogers, Woods, Bailey) *Projected Flynn Trade
    4. Robert Alford CB
    5. Corey Lemonier DE
    5. Jon Bostic MLB *Curry Trade
    6. Jordan Rodgers QB

    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65681
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2125
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 am
  • I swear I keep watching that Slay video, and I'm seeing a Seahawks CB, he wasn't even the top rated CB on that Mississippi State team, Jonathan Banks was.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19021
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am
  • Good mock, i'd rather see a WR or LB in round 2 and 3 and maybe a CB and TE later based on need. I hope Zach is able to get out on routes more next year, if that happens i think we'll see a lot more production out of him in the pass game. I would rather keep Miller, draft a WR to replace Sidney. After this year Sidney is due to make 17.5 million and Miller is due to make 13 million i think.
    User avatar
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 884
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm




It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Deterrence and 7 guests