Awesome History of American Education.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Awesome History of American Education.
Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 pm
  • This series of videos have inspired me. I have recently volunteered at a local public school to help children learn how to read and do some basic math because of these videos. They are quite daunting because of the 7+ hour time span (for the whole series), but frankly, they are well worth the time, especially if you are a teacher. I have always felt that the public school system failed me, and yet I wasn't educated enough to pinpoint the reason as to how they had. These video's helped me pinpoint how and why they failed, as well as how to educate myself further. Since I watched this video series I haven't been watching any TV or movies, (other than the walking dead...) and I have instead been investing my time in educating myself in trivium, quadrivium, and modern political matters.

These videos are very long and I realize they can be hard to start due to time constraints, so if you would like to visit my favorite point in the series, I recommend video 5.

Thanks to anyone who attempts to view these. It means a lot to me.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

• Interesting... I'll have watch one next week.
    Hawkaholic
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• too many big words for me to follow whats going on.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Re: Awesome History of American Education.
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 pm
  • I started with the 5th video, as you recommended, and got an hour into it. Enlightening and I will come back and finish them when I have time. Thanks for posting.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• Anyone get a chance to watch, or have an opinion on the videos?
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

• I'll take a look at them when I can find some time...
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

• Here is an interesting take on whats wrong,a nd why other nations are better than us at it:

"Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• That's a cool video explaining very succinctly the difference between learning critical thinking, and learning by memorization. Goes back to the whole teach a man a fish or give a man a fish. Teach a child to think critically, and he or she could solve any number of problems in their every day lives. Teach a child algebra, and they won't ever attempt to use it because they don't see how it can be applied in other places other than textbooks or homework assignments.

You would think that someone within the American education system would have figured this kind of stuff out by now. Japan, China, Switzerland, and several other countries have been ahead of us for quite a while. It shouldn't have taken much effort to figure out the differences between our systems.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information