kearly's dream draft 3.0

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":255wbkmb said:
Strong Freudian powers are swaying over me when it comes to Khaseem Green, Courtney Gardner, and Courtney Greene. I was just about to run out of the house just now and I thought "I bet I wrote Courtney Greene last night" so I hustled over to my computer and sure enough, I did.
That's what I assumed all along.

I'm starting to think Travis Kelce is going to see his stock rise and will be drafted higher than where you have him... but, it's a mock. BTW... is it pronounced Kelse, Kelsey, Kelche? Whatever it is... he can play.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Ryan Swope is a hell of a good pick, Kearly. I watched a ton of him last year scouting Ryan Tannehill and he was always involved with the offense making big time plays. He was the go to guy the entire year even when Fuller was usually grabbing most of the (undeserved) attention.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. Swope is one of those players you notice when scouting someone else. Whether it was Tannehill or Manziel, I'm watching for those guys and yet it's Swope who just keeps grabbing your attention making play after play. Knile Davis (Ryan Mallett) and Jared Abbrederis (Russell Wilson) are a couple other examples. Ryan Broyles (Landry Jones) too. Deep throws, slot throws, Swope was great wherever they put him. Don't like pulling the race card (as it begs to be blown out of proportion), but let's be real, if he was African American, 6'1", 206, 4.4 in the forty, and clutch as hell, and productive for an SEC/BIG12 school he'd be in the first or second round discussion without a doubt. It's almost like a rule- if you are white and you play WR/RB, you will not be an early pick. Whiteness aside, the fact that he looks like he's 15 years old in all his pictures probably doesn't help much either.

Swope is my #1 slot WR. Austin is spectacular, but I think I'd rather have him playing outside in a similar role to Golden Tate.

Another thing about Swope that makes him perfect- he's not a target whore. He's perfectly comfortable in an offense that spreads the ball and treats everyone like a #2 WR. That's Johnny Football to a tee, and Swope was as good as ever in that kind of offense. You will not find a QB in college football for many years that compares as well to Wilson as Manziel does, and Manziel had awesome chemistry with Swope, even as a freshman. I could see Wilson mind melding with Swope in no time.

Swope is like a faster, better Charlie Martin. Same size, same clutchness, same goofy teenager face. If Martin ran a 4.4 he'd probably still be on our roster right now. And it means nothing, but Swope is from Texas A&M. Martin was from West Texas A&M.

aawolf

Reaction score
kearly--I'll ask again...has Hopkins' stock dropped for you? You've had him as our first round pick in other drafts and I've thought this was a great idea. There are a bunch of recievers in this draft that I would put second and third round grades on, but I thought Hopkins was clearly the best chance to be a star reciever in the NFL a-la AJ Greene, Julio Jones, or Roddy White--the perfect combination of size, strength, speed, quickness, and hands. I'm still hoping we take him in the first round. Did you drop him down or did you just think he'd be gone by pick #25?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Would Jordy Nelson or Brian Hartline be a good comparison for Swoope? I'm not bashing the player at all he could be awesome, but I still see the Hawks going for a 6'3 220lb type WR. Getting a big guy with raw skills in the 2nd or later will not innterupt the chemistry that Rice, Tate, and Balwin have and force a major competition as the rookie WR is no lock to get playing time and at 6'3 he will most likely be on the field in the redzone.

I am assuming Kearly is just not projecting Hopkins to the seahawks as WR in round 1 seems less and less likely unless a freak like Patterson drops to us. I am very curious what PC thinks of Kennan Allen? I don't think i'd spend a #25 on him unless he could break 4.5, but a trade back in the first or up into the early 2nd and now i see a few WR's and TE's that have a ton of value.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":21h0s2e8 said:
I was going to say the same thing. Swope is one of those players you notice when scouting someone else. Whether it was Tannehill or Manziel, I'm watching for those guys and yet it's Swope who just keeps grabbing your attention making play after play. Knile Davis (Ryan Mallett) and Jared Abbrederis (Russell Wilson) are a couple other examples. Deep throws, slot throws, Swope was great wherever they put him. Don't like pulling the race card (as it begs to be blown out of proportion), but let's be real, if he was African American, 6'1", 206, 4.4 in the forty, and clutch as hell, he'd be in the first or second round discussion without a doubt. It's almost like a rule- if you are white and you play WR/RB, you will not be an early pick. Whiteness aside, the fact that he looks like he's 15 years old in all his pictures probably doesn't help much either.

Swope is my #1 slot WR. Austin is spectacular, but I think I'd rather have him playing outside in a similar role to Golden Tate.

Another thing about Swope that makes him perfect- he's not a target whore. He's perfectly comfortable in an offense that spreads the ball and treats everyone like a #2 WR. That's Johnny Football to a tee, and Swope was as good as ever in that kind of offense. You will not find a QB in college football for many years that compares as well to Wilson as Manziel does, and Manziel had awesome chemistry with Swope, even as a freshman. I could see Wilson mind melding with Swope in no time.

Swope is like a faster, better Charlie Martin. Same size, same clutchness, same goofy teenager face. If Martin ran a 4.4 he'd probably still be on our roster right now. And it means nothing, but Swope is from Texas A&M. Martin was from West Texas A&M.

I could not agree more on him being a perfect fit in this offense and with Wilson. You mentioned him playing with Manziel, but Tannehill was no slouch with his feet either. When Tannehill avoided pressure, it was almost always Swope that he looked for downfield because Swope always knew how to get himself open for his QB. Add this last year's experience with Johnny Football and Ryan Swope has back to back years of experience making plays for his mobile QB. Something that is starting be a requirement in Seattle.

Imo, the only thing Swope lacks that would put him into the first round is the position he plays and his lack of explosiveness. I imagine he'll run well, but I don't expect he'll test as high in the other events, perhaps slightly above average for receivers. However, he is as reliable and consistent as any first round receiver in this draft which should only help raise his stock. I think he'll come off the board in the 3rd with a chance to fall into the 4th, but I've also heard some place a 2nd round grade on him, as well (though not many).

two dog

Reaction score
While I like this draft, especially Matt Scott, Ryan Swope ans Travis Kelce in those slots,
I have some reservations.

I am bothered that nowhere in any round do we take an offensive lineman, something
I think is sure to happen.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1e9i96sm said:
Would Jordy Nelson or Brian Hartline be a good comparison for Swoope? I'm not bashing the player at all he could be awesome, but I still see the Hawks going for a 6'3 220lb type WR. Getting a big guy with raw skills in the 2nd or later will not innterupt the chemistry that Rice, Tate, and Balwin have and force a major competition as the rookie WR is no lock to get playing time and at 6'3 he will most likely be on the field in the redzone.

I am assuming Kearly is just not projecting Hopkins to the seahawks as WR in round 1 seems less and less likely unless a freak like Patterson drops to us. I am very curious what PC thinks of Kennan Allen? I don't think i'd spend a #25 on him unless he could break 4.5, but a trade back in the first or up into the early 2nd and now i see a few WR's and TE's that have a ton of value.

I think with Swope in the 4th round you'd be getting an instant contributing slot receiver who can compete/replace Baldwin if need be and be a dominate special teamer. We don't have that player on this team. It still doesn't stop this team from drafting a big sized receiver on the outside in the earlier rounds, because they'd have different roles. Also, like you said, that big 6'3 could even be a huge upside developmental pick. Having a reliable guy like Swope would take the pressure off any receivers still needing to improve their game.

As to Allen, I'd spend the #25 pick on him in a heartbeat. He's the physical type receiver that this team lacks and is solid in ALL aspects of his game. He has a great catching radius, can run the full route tree, and has good enough speed and toughness to make plays throughout the game.

I think a lot of people wanted to see more highlight plays from Allen this year, but he simply just wasn't given the opportunity much to do so because of his weak-armed QB, but if you watch the total of his games, you'll notice when he gets a chance to make a play, he can be a game changer.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Recon, one thing I have learned not to do is project a rookie WR as contributing much immediately.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Scottemojo":uejck4zz said:
Recon, one thing I have learned not to do is project a rookie WR as contributing much immediately.

It's definitely one of the positions that take the most development (along with DE) to become really good at the pro level, with a few exceptions (like AJ Green and Julio Jones).

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Duly noted Scotte. I might have my fan cap on with Swope ;), but in terms of reliability and smarts, I think he's one of the better receivers in this draft, IMO, so with him at least coming into a game periodically in 4 receiver sets, I have faith he can be counted on to make a play. Maybe saying year 1 he's a contributor in small amounts would be a better way to put it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
aawolf":qykaw668 said:
kearly--I'll ask again...has Hopkins' stock dropped for you? You've had him as our first round pick in other drafts and I've thought this was a great idea. There are a bunch of recievers in this draft that I would put second and third round grades on, but I thought Hopkins was clearly the best chance to be a star reciever in the NFL a-la AJ Greene, Julio Jones, or Roddy White--the perfect combination of size, strength, speed, quickness, and hands. I'm still hoping we take him in the first round. Did you drop him down or did you just think he'd be gone by pick #25?

Now that Hopkins is "cool" in this forum Kearly has moved on.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2uq6xlho said:
aawolf":2uq6xlho said:

Now that Hopkins is "cool" in this forum Kearly has moved on.

Lol, I already said "no" back on page 1. Meaning that "no DeAndre Hopkins stock hasn't changed for me." I just thought that in this dream mock, Short had reached roughly equal footing coupled with the fact that this WR class is unbelievably deep. Hopkins is still a total stud, and we'd be extremely lucky to have him.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Wenhawk":nn0bdzk2 said:

He's already being compared to Jordy Nelson and Wes Welker. Consider that one of those WRs stands 6'3" while the other stands 5'9". That makes you suspicious that people are just making lazy White WR comparisons, although to be fair, all 3 share three common traits- smarts, speed, and being clutch.

I actually think the Welker comparison comes closest. Welker is a gamer- and you see that same fiery competitiveness in Swope. A lot of people don't realize this, but Swope isn't just straight line fast, he's also got very quick feet and can juke people into missing. He's an outstanding yards after catch receiver. He's a lot bigger than Welker too and can bounce off tackles for extra yards. He throws a mean block- I've seen him decleat players on occasion.

I can't stress enough how he plays like a Doug Baldwin / Danny Amendola / Wes Welker type in terms of his savvy, presence of mind, and quickness, but unlike those guys he does it in a 6'1" body (and has plenty of bulk to take hits), and he at times flashes moves after the catch that are just a shade below Golden Tate. Swope is really quick out of his breaks and is an awesome improvisor. Never quits on a play. If Seattle drafted him, he wouldn't be a #4 WR for long. He is rising up my WR draft board really fast. I am starting to wonder if I like him more than Hopkins or Gardner.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Another thing about Swope- you can play him anywhere. He's great in the slot but he's great outside too. And at his size, speed and blocking ability, he will likely be a very good special teamer as well. He's versatile and that matters a lot to our FO. Dude is a competitor, and can pick up cheap yards after the catch. Checks a LOT of boxes for the Seahawks.

Scottemojo":eptebqqd said:

While this is true almost 100% of the time with WRs, I could see Swope making an impact immediately. He's like a much better version of Doug Baldwin, and Baldwin come out of the gates swinging while catching passes from T-Jack. I think if you are extremely smart and hard working (with good physical tools), you can contribute very quickly.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
two dog":1naue36i said:
While I like this draft, especially Matt Scott, Ryan Swope ans Travis Kelce in those slots,
I have some reservations.

I am bothered that nowhere in any round do we take an offensive lineman, something
I think is sure to happen.

Absolutely. But this was my mock, not theirs. I could draft 10 WRs if I wanted. In the next version of "what I think they'll do" I'll definitely be including an offensive lineman.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great choices Kearly. On Ryan Swope, his line sure reminds me of Kris Durham. Big, WR with speed supposedly great hands, etc. Durham didn't pan out for the Seahawks, however they have leaned toward those types. Durham wasn't the top WR on Georgia's team. Swope could be the next Hartline or Nelson but also could be the next Durham too. We'll find out in April if he's worth the risk.

aawolf

Reaction score
kearly":9wwl9tgz said:
Last one pre-combine!

#25: DT Kawann Short
#58: LB Khaseem Greene (lol)
#85: DE Armonty Bryant
#99: WR Ryan Swope
#122: QB/WR/RB Denard Robinson
#133: DT/DE Jordan Hill
#153: TE Travis Kelce
#186: CB Micah Hyde
#200: QB Matt Scott
#206: WR Courtney Gardner
#217: RB Kendial Lawrence

A few thoughts:

Armonty Bryant was charged wih selling weed to an undercover officer at football practice---TWICE. That's a knucklehead for you. I wouldn't draft him even if he were a top-ten talent unless he's done quite a bit to rehabilitate himself since his arrest in October. This is the one pick in your draft that I would hate. I like where your going with a DE, though, and I'd probably take the other best available one here. Margus Hunt may be available. If your looking for sleepers, then I've got one for you---Brandon Jenkins, DE, FSU--he had 13.5 sacks in 2010 and 8 in 2011--he sat out all of 2012 with a foot injury. He's going to be a steal in the 3rd round.

I watched highlights of Ryan Swope. I haven't focussed on him before today. He is a great blocker and would be an asset for the Seahawks. He is a great asset to Manzell in that he finds open spaces and makes great blocks when Manzell is improvising. I wouldn't be made if we got him at #99. I'd like to see us get a reciever earlier--my favorites are: 1) Hopkins, 2) Patterson, and 3) Quinton Patton (La Tech WR). We'd need to spend a first round pick to have a shot at the first two, and I'd probably take Patton with 99 if he's still there because he seems to have better big-play ability.

I'd swap Denard Robinson and Travis Kelce on your draft. I don't think Kelce would last that long, and I would love to have him with the #122 pick and if he's there, I wouldn't risk not taking him with that pick. I think Denard Robinson is more of a flyer because its a little unknown what role he would fit into next season. I see him as a kick returner, or a slot reciever, or a reserve running back. He could be great as a "joker" in the offense, but he could also suck catching the ball or running between tackles. If he's there at 153 though, then take him because he's too good an athelete to pass up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1dfbjppg said:
Great choices Kearly. On Ryan Swope, his line sure reminds me of Kris Durham. Big, WR with speed supposedly great hands, etc. Durham didn't pan out for the Seahawks, however they have leaned toward those types. Durham wasn't the top WR on Georgia's team. Swope could be the next Hartline or Nelson but also could be the next Durham too. We'll find out in April if he's worth the risk.
Nothing like Durham. Durham sucked, I was down on him from day one. Durham was like Jordan Kent, more runners than football players. Pundits bagged on their route running for a reason. The next zone Durham sits in will be the first. Swope had college production, unlike Durham, and Swope finds areas in zones to present his QB with a target.

Personally, I would rather have the Harper kid from Kansas State. Big and thick, I think he can do the same thing.