Live bands

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm
  • What are everyone's favorite bands to see live? For me, Gwar, they put on an awesome live show no matter how big or small the venue is.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm
  • I am not a big live band guy much any more....but Henry Rollins and Mike Patton were 2 dudes that always left their guts on the stage when they walked off.
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2821
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Wa


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:I am not a big live band guy much any more....but Henry Rollins and Mike Patton were 2 dudes that always left their guts on the stage when they walked off.


    Henry Rollins is great on his Spoken Words tours as well. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend going at least once.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:05 pm
  • Steve Vai, always leaves my jaw on the floor.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 25522
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: Mmmmm...Roasted Kaeperturkey


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:45 pm
  • best concert i've been too was dark side of the moon Pink Floyd, Spokane coliseum... the light show was incredible, they lost almost all power at one point, and instead of taking a break, they did an acoustic set until the power was restored... amazing band....

    Rush (Gorge)
    AC/DC ( Spokane Coliseum )
    BB King ( Toyata Center Tri Cities )
    Buddy Guy (Actually got to open for him at the Big Easy in Spokane)
    Motley Crue ( Hard Rock Cafe ) Vegas
    Monsters of Rock ( Joe Albi Stadium,, Spokane) Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Kingdome Come, one other can't remember

    all great shows...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm
  • My Morning Jacket
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2325
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 pm
  • Portishead. Only saw em once but I could've died happy that night.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15323
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Not gonna try and go back through all the shows I've seen cuz I saw KISS when I was eight. Yeah, it was KISS, but it was life changing as an 8 year old.

    Tool is an amazing live act. Was lucky enough to see them in the Paramount on the Lateralus tour. Was like you had headphones on, they were that tight.

    Pearl Jam is the best bang for the buck. See them in Seattle, get 3 hrs. of music. See them in Vancouver the next night and get 2 and a half hours of different music.

    Derick Trucks has never disappointed whether solo or with the Bros.

    Was blown away by Dead Sara when I saw them in Oct. The guitar player moshed so hard she broke a rib on tour last year, and the singer is not opposed to doing a stage dive here and there..Pretty cool for a "chick band"

    The longevity award is a tie between Rush and Maiden. Decades on, they still bring it. hmmm maybe DeVo too.

    Oh, and Oingo Boingo...but those days are gone
    NoChops
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1459
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:I am not a big live band guy much any more....but Henry Rollins and Mike Patton were 2 dudes that always left their guts on the stage when they walked off.


    Henry Rollins is great on his Spoken Words tours as well. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend going at least once.


    saw one at Western in 95-96? quality entertainment.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1459
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm


Re: Live bands
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm
  • crap forgot Tori Amos...whiny chick stuff, but I never wanted to be a piano bench so bad. Lady can play her ass off.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1459
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am
  • Lamb of God puts on an amazing show I've heard, but I've yet to be able to see them. Same goes for Gojira and Hatebreed.

    Lazarus A.D., Trivium and Unearth I have seen though and they are all amazing live. Not many people know of Laz, but they're a thrash band from Wisconsin. Really chill guys to hang out with and can put on one hell of a show. I seen them twice in 2011 and am eagerly awaiting them to return to NOLA.

    Oh, and Megadeth. Megadeth was pretty awesome too. Almost got Mustaine's wristband... :(
    :les: Image :les:


    pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    User avatar
    IronSaint
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm
    Location: New Orleans


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am
  • IronSaint wrote:Oh, and Megadeth. Megadeth was pretty awesome too. Almost got Mustaine's wristband... :(


    Oddly, I found Megadeth to be boring as hell live. They're technically amazing and precise, but there didn't seem to be any life to their show. It was just them playing songs exactly like they sounded on the album.

    Two bands really come to mind for me when I think of a live performance just going above and beyond: Ministry and Swans

    Ministry simply puts on a hell of a show and they make sure you FELT the music, as in it was so loud that you felt your ribcage vibrate.

    Swans shows are grueling endurance-fests. They treat live shows like chambers for experimentation, twisting songs, tweaking sounds, and drawing riffs and songs out until your mind is just blasted. And the intensity of Michael Gira doing his thing puts most metal bands to shame... yes, that's right, Mr. Corpsepaint. That almost 60-year old dude in the cowboy hat and the snarl just out-brutalized you.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8442
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm
  • Between the Buried and Me - heavy complex songs, amazing musicians (seeing them tomorrow night in SF)

    John Mayer - say what you want about his songs, but the man is one of the best live guitar players.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    User avatar
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 523
    Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am
    Location: Camas, WA


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm
  • IronSaint wrote:Lamb of God puts on an amazing show I've heard, but I've yet to be able to see them. Same goes for Gojira and Hatebreed.

    Lazarus A.D., Trivium and Unearth I have seen though and they are all amazing live. Not many people know of Laz, but they're a thrash band from Wisconsin. Really chill guys to hang out with and can put on one hell of a show. I seen them twice in 2011 and am eagerly awaiting them to return to NOLA.

    Oh, and Megadeth. Megadeth was pretty awesome too. Almost got Mustaine's wristband... :(


    I've met Lazarus here at a show, they are great guys. Loved their first album
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    User avatar
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm
    Location: Oklahoma City


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:57 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:Oddly, I found Megadeth to be boring as hell live. They're technically amazing and precise, but there didn't seem to be any life to their show. It was just them playing songs exactly like they sounded on the album.


    Ahh, to each his own. As a musician, I geek out on the technicality. :lol:
    :les: Image :les:


    pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    User avatar
    IronSaint
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm
    Location: New Orleans


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm
  • Tool. Seen em a half dozen times. They habe dialed some of it back in theor advanced age but still killer.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9360
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 pm
  • IronSaint wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:Oddly, I found Megadeth to be boring as hell live. They're technically amazing and precise, but there didn't seem to be any life to their show. It was just them playing songs exactly like they sounded on the album.


    Ahh, to each his own. As a musician, I geek out on the technicality. :lol:


    I'm a musician, too, but I didn't go to their show for a masterclass on how to play Holy Wars. :mrgreen:
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8442
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm
  • Botch was incredible. So was Refused, but I think I just built that up in my head.

    I always had a great time when Glassjaw played.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8659
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 pm
  • Nobody reproduces studio work like Rush does live.
    Image
    User avatar
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3973
    Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:43 pm
    Location: Port Townsend, WA


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:02 pm
  • I prefer when the band actually deviates from the recorded material in a live setting, just makes it so much more fun.
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2821
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Wa


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm
  • Isis, The Mars Volta, Murder By Death and Darkest Hour put on the best shows.


    I usually hangout in the back and listen to the music, unless I'm seeing any of these bands....then I'm up and moving.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm
  • Bands I've seen-
    Shinedown
    Sick Puppies
    Cavo
    Hollywood Undead
    10 Years
    Adelitas Way
    New Medicine
    User avatar
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 351
    Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:26 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Tool. Seen em a half dozen times. They habe dialed some of it back in theor advanced age but still killer.


    Nice to hear. I've been wanting to see Danny Carey live.

    volsunghawk wrote:I'm a musician, too, but I didn't go to their show for a masterclass on how to play Holy Wars. :mrgreen:


    LOL, why wouldn't you want a lesson on how to play "Holy Wars"?! :lol:
    :les: Image :les:


    pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    User avatar
    IronSaint
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 320
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm
    Location: New Orleans


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm
  • I've never been a concert guy. But just from watching some of their live performances at awards shows or on youtube and such I really like Mumford and Sons. Also, Eddie Vedder seems like he would be great live.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18794
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Live bands
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:Oddly, I found Megadeth to be boring as hell live. They're technically amazing and precise, but there didn't seem to be any life to their show. It was just them playing songs exactly like they sounded on the album .

    I agree! I do not call this LIVE! ;)
    falcon
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 am


Re: Live bands
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am
  • Taking Back Sunday. Adam broke 2 mics swinging them round his head or throwing them in the air, and sang 3 songs whilst standing on the bar at the back of the venue having crowdsurfed there. Plus, they killed.

    Zeb, Portishead, really? I like Portishead, but wasn't it Beth sitting in a chair whilst a guy twiddled some knobs? Or was it the shows they did with an orchestra
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 936
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: Live bands
Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 am
  • cdallan wrote:Zeb, Portishead, really? I like Portishead, but wasn't it Beth sitting in a chair whilst a guy twiddled some knobs? Or was it the shows they did with an orchestra


    Naw man, it was a full band, prolly 10 or 11 folks, 2 drummers... it was the best. Granted, I'd been waiting to see them live for 15 years, it was everything I'd hoped for and more, and Beth is my hero, she could've sang into a Tyco mic and made me happy. But still, it was really freakin great. They were perfect.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15323
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Live bands
Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 am
  • Nice. I've never seen them live (I don't know anybody else who likes them) but their live album at Roseland with the orchestra is something I would love to see live. I have it on video, so I can't even watch it on TV.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

    Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    User avatar
    cdallan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 936
    Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:08 am
    Location: Scotland


Re: Live bands
Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 am
  • cdallan wrote:Nice. I've never seen them live (I don't know anybody else who likes them) but their live album at Roseland with the orchestra is something I would love to see live. I have it on video, so I can't even watch it on TV.


    Man, that's like my favorite band of all time (them and Radiohead). Seeing them live was a dream come true, and they didn't disappoint.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15323
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Live bands
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 am
  • For me it would have to be Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor is amazing live! Also I've been blown away everything I have seen Mars Volta live.
    Jaames
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 am
    Location: Sydney, Australia


Re: Live bands
Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:42 pm
  • METALLICA. 'nuff said
    seahawkchris
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 108
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 am
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: Live bands
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm
  • Primus are fantastic live.

    Zappa Plays Zappa was probably my favorite live act, though. Closest thing I'll ever get to Frank.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 11525
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


Re: Live bands
Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:48 pm
  • I don't go see live music much anymore, but I've seen Primus about five times. Alice In Chains was good,White Zombie, a few others. Henry Rollins put on a good show when I saw him.
    User avatar
    Claden
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 298
    Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm


Re: Live bands
Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm
  • Iron Maiden always put on a great show, seen 'em twice. Coheed and Cambria are super tight musicians and sound really good live.

    The most intense band I've seen live is a band called "Letlive". It was at a cool, small venue in Spokane called the Kave. After finishing their set (they were the last of 5 bands that night, mostly local ones), the crowd starts chanting for an encore, and the singer just starts pacing the stage faster and faster. He then proceeds to punch out a nearby light with his bare fist, breaking it. Then, he starts smearing the blood from his hand on the wall behind him while the band begins to play and they go on to play a 3-song encore. I happen to know the guys who run the venue, and they weren't too happy with the blood all over the white wall, but it was pretty crazy to watch.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle




It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online