INteresting analysis of NFC West on my Yahoo home page

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This line about the Lambs was hysterical: "Lastly, they'd get a restraining order on Craig Dahl to ensure that he doesn't sneak into team headquarters and re-sign himself to the team in 2013. "

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Good article. Those were some funny things about how to fix the Rams and Cardinals

Frostbyte

Reaction score
He's spot on about Jason Jones. When we lost him to IR we wound up with ZERO pass rush from our front four. I think losing him hurt us more than losing Clem.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I just dont see what others see in Tavon Austin for the Seahawks. If the Hawks wanted a WR, they'd go with a bigger prospect, considering the size of our QB. With the physical run game we have I'd like to see 2 and 3 TE sets or at the least WRs that DBs are afraid to jam off the line.

kearly

Reaction score
It's hard to write about other teams with much credibility. If our offseason hinged around signing Jason Jones back and drafting Tavon Austin, I'd actually consider that a pretty massive disappointment.

Jones hasn't shown that he can stay healthy- and it's not like those problems are new either. He's worth bringing back, but that won't fix the problem by itself, obviously.

I like Austin, but I think he will probably be a round 2 or 3 pick. This WR group is extremely underrated- one of the deepest groups I've ever seen. We could take a WR in round 3 and get similar value to what we get in round 1.

We also need several new pass rushers on the defensive line, another fast linebacker to pair with Wagner (Smith doesn't count), a 3rd (or ideally, a 2nd) TE, a successor at KR for Leon and probably a successor for Red Bryant in case he struggles again next year. Oh, and a read-option QB. And more shotgunning DBs. Am I forgetting anything?

BTW, I think if you take Wilson out of the equation, this offseason could be much better than last years. Obviously, Wilson makes it unfair, but I could easily see JS pulling 6 eventual starters out of this ultra deep draft.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Draft one of the top two TE in the first unless one of the top LB falls that far and WR in the second, call it a good day.

Keep Jones if possible and get at least two DL guys on free agency, draft two more DL as high as possible. Keep Flynn for the year unless a great trade comes in, this year QB class is so bad Tarvaris is getting Flynn money.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tavon Awesome would absolutely be the right pick for Seattle. Rang has him projected in the 1st round here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock I just wonder if New England is going to trade up to draft Austin before 25 or earlier. To get a guy THAT electric is a rare opportunity. What about the Seahawks is conventional? They are trend setters in the NFL now and Tavon Austin could be the next addition that will have teams in the offseason still trying to catch up and emulate what the Seahawks are doing. Here is another bit about Austin rated number 3 behind Patterson and Hopkins (but Hopkins is compared here to Roddy White. Ask Richard Sherman if he thinks that would be good for this team. ; ) http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap10000 ... ft#photo=3
If the Seahawks pass on Tavon Austin... it does seem to be a deep draft for certain positions like WR. However, how many of them are elite? Austin is one of the few and brings special qualities that I don't see in others to the same extent. If when the Hawks are on the clock and Austin is available and passed on... I will be disappointed, but more trusting of this regime than when the Hawks and several other teams passed on Randy Moss.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I'm a little confused by all the Tavon Austin love. From just looking at a few highlight video's he's kind of a Reggie Bush type player, not strictly a WR, but also a RB used in sweeps as well as in the return game.

But here's what I don't get, why isn't Stedman Bailey getting just as much attention? Both players were TD makers.

INfact I'd prefer Bailey over Austin for a few reasons
A) He's bigger- Bailey listed @ 5-10, 188, Austin listed @ 5-9, 174
B) He's more productive- Bailey 114 catches, 1622 yards, 14.2 avg, and a WHOPPING 25 TD's
Austin had 114 catches, 1289 yards, 11.7 avg, 12 TD's. + 643 yards rushing, 8.9 avg, 3 TD's.

I'm just not understanding why Bailey's not rated higher. I'd prefer Deandre Hopkins to either of these 2-- Just as productive with better size. but if you could get Bailey in the 3rd that would be a bargain.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
jlwaters1":23xcqtkz said:
I'm a little confused by all the Tavon Austin love. From just looking at a few highlight video's he's kind of a Reggie Bush type player, not strictly a WR, but also a RB used in sweeps as well as in the return game.

But here's what I don't get, why isn't Stedman Bailey getting just as much attention? Both players were TD makers.

INfact I'd prefer Bailey over Austin for a few reasons
A) He's bigger- Bailey listed @ 5-10, 188, Austin listed @ 5-9, 174
B) He's more productive- Bailey 114 catches, 1622 yards, 14.2 avg, and a WHOPPING 25 TD's
Austin had 114 catches, 1289 yards, 11.7 avg, 12 TD's. + 643 yards rushing, 8.9 avg, 3 TD's.

I'm just not understanding why Bailey's not rated higher. I'd prefer Deandre Hopkins to either of these 2-- Just as productive with better size. but if you could get Bailey in the 3rd that would be a bargain.
Stats and measurables only tell you so much. Tavon Austin is elite in YAC. As everyone correctly assesses.... if he gets in open space with the ball... lookout. Someone posted that graph that shows how he compares in YAC to the rest. In terms of Austin over Bailey (or any other receiver in the draft, imo)... did you ever get to watch him play in games and watch the player play football? I think Austin has his head screwed on right and gives every indication of being a great teammate, a willing contributor however creative a team can be to utilize his skills, etc. He made Oklahoma look like a High School JV team. There's something special about that player. That stuff doesn't just happen. He's an elite playmaker. I think if he was a few inches taller and weighed at least 200 lbs... everyone would be salivating at the prospect of Tavon Austin to Seattle. Perhaps not quite the same size issue comparison as those who questioned RW at the QB position, but there are some similar things going on there to some extent, I think. I've said it before... I'm not suggesting the Seahawks field a team of smurfs, but just don't dismiss an elite playmaker and assume so much that he wont do for a team vs. what he could bring to the team. Whenever prospects are discussed... how much of all that a player is capable of do they actually do for their teams? I wonder how many players new to the team are going to have as great of a chance of making the roster and/or contributing to this team. So, if there is a playmaker on the level of Austin there at 25... my contention is that you take him. Add him to an already dangerous team. I really do hope some FA players don't get signed right away and become more affordable to the Hawks so that they can pick up more proven vets to add to this team that needs to stay intact and improve from where they left off while perhaps adding those few key vets and a few rookies that can make an immediate impact.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
1. Sherman faced an old Roddy that has lost a step. When people compare Hopkins to him, they aren't comparing him to the Roddy we see today, they are comparing him to young Roddy who was quite dangerous.

2. Yes I would rather have a Roddy at his peak, rather then a 5-9 175 guy in the Percy Harvin mold. Our offense doesn't always line up with 3 WRs which lowers the chances the kid will get the ball and then cream himself on a 250 pound LB like PH.

3. Russell is a smart QB, he doesn't lock on to anybody and spreads the ball around, further lowering Austin's impact. Add to that we run for 55% of the time and it lowers it that much more.

So yeah, I'd rather have a Roddy clone since we have 2 outside receivers on the field quite often and he could contribute more in our style of offense.

Wouldn't pay Austin first round draft cash for the impact he'd have in Seattle.

kearly

Reaction score
I love Tavon Awesome personally, it's just that there are a lot of WRs I love in this draft, including some slated for rounds 4-7. Wouldn't be shocked if Seattle took him in round 1, but I think they go defense early and often instead.

Latest posts